Thread: 2016 Solo Campaign

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

Default 2016 Solo Campaign

Time to start thinking about the 2016 campaign.

1. Who wants to play?
    2. What do we want from the campaign?
    3. Do we want a campaign?

Some thoughts:
    1. 4 ships of any type plus captains.
    2. Can be individuals, can be a small squadron.
    3. Players can be from whatever side or persuasion they wish (ie British, French, US, Privateer/Pirate etc)
    4. The point of the campaign is captain advancement for nations or notoriety for Privateers/Pirates. (based on simple victory points)
    5. The rules as they stand played at whatever level, basic, intermediary or advanced to each players taste.
    6. House rules for merchants, land actions if required.
    7. An open house campaign where players can drop in/drop out whenever real life takes over.
    8. Results to be published in a spreadsheet like Eric has for the 2015 campaign.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

1. I would like to play time permitting.
    2. I'd like a campaign that focuses primarily on our 'captains' and the ships they eventually rank up to command. Board and miniature games don't usually use a character leveling scheme, but I could see this in a year long campaign. I think you've suggested something like this elsewhere?
    3. Yes.

Neil, your thoughts closely match what I'd like to see transpire.

Thanks for posting the call.
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Not hooking up, yet. But want to follow this thread.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

1. Who wants to play?
    I would like to take part.

A mixture of small ship and larger Squadron actions or the choice to fight the scenarios as either.

Not really concerned about that as long as I can link games into some sequence of events.

Some thoughts:

See 2 above.

As the player wishes, although I would tend towards the advancement of more than one individual to avoid having to start from scratch in the event of his demise.

3. Players can be from whatever side or persuasion they wish (ie British, French, US, Privateer/Pirate etc)
    Agreed. After all, variety is the spice of life and in some cases death.

4. The point of the campaign is captain advancement for nations or notoriety for Privateers/Pirates. (based on simple victory points)
    Yes, and having a good time in general, which may also involve imbibing copious amounts of your favourite beverage.

5. The rules as they stand played at whatever level, basic, intermediary or advanced to each players taste.
    Agreed.

Agreed.

7. An open house campaign where players can drop in/drop out whenever real life takes over.
    Sound idea.

8. Results to be published in a spreadsheet like Eric has for the 2015 campaign.[/QUOTE]
    Yes if someone is prepared to take this task on.

Bligh.

PS. To quote Jim.The Code is more like "guidelines" rather than actual rules

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Union Jack View Post

1. Who wants to play?

Some thoughts:
    8. Results to be published in a spreadsheet like Eric has for the 2015 campaign.

1. Who wants to play?
    Bos’n wants to play.

I enjoy making a storyline using the scenarios as chapters in the squadron’s file for that year.

I am not sure what you mean with this question. If you mean do I want each scenario to require the outcome of the previous game, then not really. If a few games rely on scenarios from the month before, then that is alright, but most should be stand-alones. If you mean keeping a continuous record of the squadron, then yes.

Some thoughts:

I would like to form a squadron of six to ten ships to handle the problems in their sector.

I think that there should be a mix of individual, small squadron, and whole squadron actions to play. The variety of games this year, was great.

3. Players can be from whatever side or persuasion they wish (i.e. British, French, US, Privateer/Pirate etc)
    I wanted to field a squadron from the United States next year. I have eighteen ships ranging in size from super frigates (Constitution, United States, President) to small ships (the Brig Argos, the privateer Thorn, and the beloved schooner Witch.) I would need to alter the enemy ship sizes to match the smaller size of the Americans (the big three frigates would act as 3rd or 4th raters so 1st raters would have to be downsized.)

Keeping track of the captains and their crews and ships was a major part of a positive experience for me this year.

I like the idea of each player deciding his/her level of play. The scenarios played so far this year could have been played at any level without detracting from the encounter.

Yes, and the rules should be published in the thread with the rules of the campaign.

Anyone can open one of the scenarios and play it anytime. If the record keeper wants to keep track of players who occasionally drop in, then it might encourage new people to become full members.

I really like the use of the spreadsheet. I am just competitive enough to look for the score to increase after every victory.

Some ideas you may wish to incorporate into the spreadsheet.
    1. Have fields for:
    a. Ship commanded
    b. Ship's crew skills
    c. Commendations ship’s crew
    2. Allow the keeper of the spreadsheet to award commendations
    a. to captains and crews for extraordinary performance in their duties
    b. to the writer of each scenario
    i. Those things are not easy to come up with
    ii. They take time to complete
    Bob

Rules are rough approximations of what you think I might do!

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Due to other hobby commitments and time in general I'm going to have to withdraw from the 2016 solo campaign. I will of course enjoy reading the various AAR's and I wish all captains the best of luck in their endeavors.

Cheers and good sailing.
    –English Proverb

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Other hobby commitments? Jim, say it ain't so. You will be missed.

The campaign will be a challenge with respect to photography and writing AARs. I fear in my case, without this campaign, I will only have SoG to the table at Origins during 2016. I would love to do a WoG campaign as well, but this coming year, I can only do one. I will run WoG games throughout the year at our FLGS, so at least that itch will be scratched; I think folks can relate to WoG more than SoG in this land-locked area. This is why tabletop wargaming is high on my priority list. I can set up a game and play a turn each day or two until it is completed, and I can play games from all sorts of eras depending upon taste at the moment. Designers are producing more solitaire games as well, which makes it rather nice. I am currently learning two new games, and just finished Academy Game's 1812: Invasion of Canada - neat and simple mechanics with all game info built into the components. I kind of wish WoG had where damage counters explain the mechanics involved. This could be done with symbols rather easily.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Remember Jim that the way it's being run next year you can just drop in for the odd game if you wish. It will be a shame if not. We will miss your participation.
    Rob.

With the lack of interest in SGN Ares has demonstrated, I'm not surprised that many people are feeding their gaming needs elsewhere.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

That's why for me, personally, Ed, the Anchorage and Aerodrome is more about the community than the actual games. Sue and I are having the joy of making friends worldwide, many of whom we have had the pleasure of meeting in person, playing games with, etc. Even if Ares stopped both lines, these two sites should continue. They have become a virtual Cheers.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Other hobby commitments? Jim, say it ain't so. You will be missed.

The campaign will be a challenge with respect to photography and writing AARs. I fear in my case, without this campaign, I will only have SoG to the table at Origins during 2016. I would love to do a WoG campaign as well, but this coming year, I can only do one. I will run WoG games throughout the year at our FLGS, so at least that itch will be scratched; I think folks can relate to WoG more than SoG in this land-locked area. This is why tabletop wargaming is high on my priority list. I can set up a game and play a turn each day or two until it is completed, and I can play games from all sorts of eras depending upon taste at the moment. Designers are producing more solitaire games as well, which makes it rather nice. I am currently learning two new games, and just finished Academy Game's 1812: Invasion of Canada - neat and simple mechanics with all game info built into the components. I kind of wish WoG had where damage counters explain the mechanics involved. This could be done with symbols rather easily.
    Yes, it's true. Model railroading, Hammer Dulcimer lessons, Video and PC games (Fallout 4, etc.), other table top mini games with better company support (X-Wing, Armada, etc.) plus some old and new solo games I'm looking forward to taking out of shrink wrap.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Remember Jim that the way it's being run next year you can just drop in for the odd game if you wish. It will be a shame if not. We will miss your participation.
    Rob.
    I will certainly try to make an appearance if/when I can find time to set up the mats and ships. Failing that I'm sure I will enjoy your AAR's along with everyone elses!

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    With the lack of interest in SGN Ares has demonstrated, I'm not surprised that many people are feeding their gaming needs elsewhere.
    Without getting onto a soapbox that's certainly a factor in my looking at other games. I only have so many years left of quality gaming so time is a factor in my gaming agenda.
    –English Proverb

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

What solo games, Jim?

I have several Victory Point Games, Field Commander, Decision Games, and magazine solitaire games to play over break. I am always on the hunt for decent solitaire wargames, or even other genres. I have a solitaire card game - Dungeon Crawler - to play over break as well.

I received Airborne Commander several weeks past - very fun and quite beautiful artwork on the cards.

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

OK 5 players are now linked into the Spreadsheet.

Eric
    Richard
    Rob
    Reg
    Neil

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

Ok I need the following from the following:

Jonas (TexaS): 1 slow and 1 fast ship, your email/gmail address to link into the spreadsheet.

Bob (Bos'n): Ship details including 1 fast and 1 slow ship, 6 Captains (2 with abilities), and email/gmail address to link into the spreadsheet.

Chris (Capn Duff): 1 slow and 1 fast ship, 2 Captains with 1 ability each, your email/gmail address to link into the spreadsheet.

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

Added some house rule links to land and small boat actions to the rules. (See post 6).

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    What solo games, Jim?

I have several Victory Point Games, Field Commander, Decision Games, and magazine solitaire games to play over break. I am always on the hunt for decent solitaire wargames, or even other genres. I have a solitaire card game - Dungeon Crawler - to play over break as well.

I received Airborne Commander several weeks past - very fun and quite beautiful artwork on the cards.
    Field Commander: Napoleon is the old one I bought at Gen Con this year. B-17 Flying Fortress Leader will be a new one in 2016 and I'm still waffling on Field Commander: Nimitz? I could easily spend months just playing the two available now.
    –English Proverb

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Field Commander: Napoleon is the old one I bought at Gen Con this year. B-17 Flying Fortress Leader will be a new one in 2016 and I'm still waffling on Field Commander: Nimitz? I could easily spend months just playing the two available now.
    Let me know what you think of the ones you play.

I have read mixed reviews about FC: Nimitz, so I have not purchased it yet.

I bought this one last night:

Name:  Panzers East.png
Views: 1110
Size:  362.5 KB

I have this one on the table to play next week:

Name:  Night Fight.png
Views: 866
Size:  328.4 KB

I am play-testing the new version of this one, and proofing rules, cards, etc.; this is the cover of the 1st edition:

Name:  Empires in America.png
Views: 687
Size:  310.5 KB

All of these are solitaire games.
    Last edited by 7eat51; 12-19-2015 at 22:09.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Jim, forgive me if I mentioned this before - the memory you know - but here is an entertaining series of play-throughs for B-17: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ulu6DBUUXJI

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

Ok I need the following from the following:

Jonas (TexaS): your email/gmail address to link into the spreadsheet.

Bob (Bos'n): Ship details including 1 fast and 1 slow ship, 6 Captains (2 with abilities), and email/gmail address to link into the spreadsheet.

Mathias (speissburger):Ship details including 1 fast & 1slow ship, 6 captains (2 with abilities).
    Last edited by Union Jack; 12-20-2015 at 14:51.

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

OK 7 players are now linked into the Spreadsheet.

Eric
    Richard
    Rob
    Reg
    Neil
    Matthias
    Chris

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

8 players when I get home tonight. I now have Jonas' email to link in. If Bob and Matthias send in their fleet/single ship we will have 10/7 respectively for NvN and LoM.

Neil

OK 7 players are now linked into the Spreadsheet.

Eric
    Richard
    Rob
    Reg
    Neil
    Matthias
    Chris

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

I'll post the LoM scenario mid January. NvN January scenario must be played and published before the end of February please.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bob

OK 5 players are now linked into the Spreadsheet.

Eric
    Richard
    Rob
    Reg
    Neil

Neil,

I hope that Bos'n is included. He loves the first two scenarios and wants to play. Shh, don't tell the wife.
    Bob

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

Bob need your fleet details and single ship for the letter of marque campaign.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Bos'n View Post
    Neil,

I hope that Bos'n is included. He loves the first two scenarios and wants to play. Shh, don't tell the wife.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bob

Bob need your fleet details and single ship for the letter of marque campaign.

Neil
    Neil,

I'm working on it. I will be American with 4th rated frigates as my largest vessels and USS Essex (HMS Concorde) as my smallest.
    Bob

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

Great news BoB. I'll get it posted up as soon as I have it.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Hugh

I'd like to throw my hat into the ring. What better way to learn more about sog than to participate with you fellows! Let's just hope I can keep the ship losses down

This will be a pleasant distraction from my final year of engineering school!

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

Hugh send me a list of 6 ships. Pick one as fast one as slow the rest are normal. Pick 6 captains you may include a 7th as a commodore. This is for nation v national. If you want play letters of marque then it is one ship one captain. Also I need an email address to link you into the spreadsheet.

Neil

PS: And then there were 10.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Things are certainly getting interesting Neil.
    I will get my first encounter posted this weekend.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Charles

Is it too late to get into this campaign? I realize I haven't been on the anchorage in a while, but going after my masters, having a few family deaths, and general life got in the way. I'm ready to jump back in full bore, if you'll have me.

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

Of course. No problems. A small squadron of 6 ships. 6 captains names and 1 Commodore if you wish. Choose 1 ship to be fast and 1 ship to be slow. All others are normal. If you want to play the letters of Marque game it's just one ship. One captain.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Charles

I'd be down for the Letter of Marque campaign. I wouldn't mind playing as a sloop, as that is historical. Granted, some missions I may just disrupt or scout and leave, but it would be historical. I'd like to build a crew and captain based on boarding as well, and get a chance to upgrade my ship to a frigate. That would be exciting!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Just the sort of thing I like to do Charles.
    You can board and capture a superior ship. Then you would have a choice of which ship to use.
    Rob.

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

Send me the ship name, type and Captain's name and you shall go to the ball Charles.

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

Says to himself...."I'm going to need a bigger piece of paper before long!"

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I thought that might put the cat among the pigeons Neil.
    Bligh.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Charles

Ship name: Luna Venture
    Type: Sloop (represented by the Thorn)
    Captain: Capt. Jackson, American Privateer

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

Charles just need an email address to link you in to the spreadsheet. PM me one please.

Neil

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Neil, will you please spend the amount needed to bring Sybille's crew up to full once more please.
    Thanks.
    Rob.