Thread: New Here, from Ireland

Ordinary Seaman
    Ireland

Log Entries
    Name
    Stephen

Default New Here, from Ireland

Hi guys,

Wow, what an utterly amazing site. I`m a life long gamer.... started gaming 45 years ago as a kid (actually, long before I even knew there `was` an unofficial/official hobby called wargaming). Later discovered role playing, back in 1974 when Dungeons and Dragons first hit the shelves; and have played wargames and rpg ever since (occasional time to sleep in between). Now I have a family full of gamers and rpg-ers, from the wife, all the kids, and extended family and friends.

I said to my wife, "I wish there was something new in the hobby. Not just constant re-hashes of nice shiny flashy, the latest thing, games in a box". Then, just when everything was starting too look... I dunno... samey, old, and had that `been there, done that` factor hitting home hard.... desperately hoping for something new, fresh and inspirational: I spotted Sails of Glory, accidentally, while browsing on line. I know positively nothing about naval warfare, but omg I tell you, the more I looked into this game, the more excited I became about it. I even have my wife looking forward to helping me with making homemade terrain, painting the ships up, and generally helping out on this one.

So I am here now, internet orders placed, pacing a hole in the floor boards waiting for my Sails of Glory starter set, Coastal Batteries Terrain Pack, and a spare ship: "Alligator" a war sloop... in my ignorance of naval warfare, I have always had the thing about sloops, ever since, as a kid, reading Alexander Kent Sloop of War. I hope I have picked the right things to begin my collection. I`m working purely on guess work here, and what I hope is common sense *gulp*?

I am absolutely bursting at the seams to get started in this new genre of the hobby, and I am truly delighted to have found this great site. What drew me to it was a really good blog entry which, for some reason, since I joined, wont allow me access any more... says the following:

Mabinogian, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
    1.Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    2.If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Its a crying shame, as the articles looked riveting. A member here, I think, who had turned the game into a full campaign (just as I intend to do), and was full of incredible articles, advice, and snippets of storytelling. Best of all was a thread showing how to make rigging out of the bristles of a brush. Anyway, I can`t access any of it any more :(

Okay, sorry to natter on so much. I`m an avid gamer and simply love to talk about gaming.

Steve :)

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Welcome Stephen, Im sure youll soon have full access, any questions just give a shout.
    If you like this game, which I am sure you will, are you aware of the other Glory games? If not drop me a pm and I will be happy to give you more info.

Ordinary Seaman
    Ireland

Log Entries
    Name
    Stephen

Thank you kindly, sir.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Greetings Steve! Welcome aboard the Anchorage!
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Welcome aboard

Ordinary Seaman
    Ireland

Log Entries
    Name
    Stephen

Thank you guys, this is a really friendly site

Welcome from Arizona, Stephen.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Welcome!

There are many good resources on this site and just to get you inspired you can read the After Action Reports and Solo Campaign sections. There are many great stories and pictures of naval actions.

Ordinary Seaman
    Ireland

Log Entries
    Name
    Stephen

Greetings Gunner, Nightmoss, and David

... and thank you TexaS. Yes the solo campaign aspect really interests me. Especially the stories.

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

Welcome Stephen. Your collection will grow as the madness extends.

Their are plenty of game ideas in the AAR sections and Solo Campaigns. And you can't go wrong using some of the action from Alexander Kent and other similar novels for ideas too.

Don't be afraid to ask as their are plenty on the forum to lend a helping hand or answer a tricky question.

Wishing you many hours of happy sailing. And if you like flying games try out the sister site wingsofwar.org.

Neil

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I would just like to add my own welcome to the rest of the crew Stephen.
    When you get time to read all the information posted on here you will realize what a wealth of talent we have with us.
    I like yourself am quite a novice when it comes to the age of sail, but have gleaned such a lot from the chaps so far.
    My advice is don't worry too much about matching up ships, just go where the wind takes you and enjoy the voyage. One of your Sloops managing to outfox two frigates and slip away through the shoals, can be more fun than two Squadrons of equally rated ships just lining up and indulging in a slugging match.
    The main thing is to have fun.
    Bligh.

Ordinary Seaman
    Ireland

Log Entries
    Name
    Stephen

Hi Union Jack,

oh gosh, never a more true word spoken, I keep looking at on line resources and seeing, this ship of the line, or that frigate, or oh oh ohhh an amazing looking sloop.... or a frigate or a sloop I just have to have, because it has a name I simply can`t resist (Hermione, HMS Cleopatra etc). Already the `in the post` collection winging its way to me must number a veritable fleet of vessels... 12 so far by my last count, and I just know its going to rise (Christmas hints being left all over the house for wifey and the sprogs to find). And thank you Union Jack, it is indeed so nice to be able to turn to others in the know for help and advice.

Hi Bligh,

Again, I feel inclined to follow your advice on this one (like I tend often to do with my other wargame genres. Some I keep strictly historical, like my Anglo Zulu Wars: others I tend to play around with, pottering about and creating intricate Imagi-Nation campaigns spanning months and years of my real time). I can already see that SoG has the potential to become rather all consuming... in a good way... and I am having a ball, cogitating exactly how I am going to fit this all into my existing campaigns.

Course, as you say, one off games (or part of a campaign game) a single sloop managing to outfox a couple of frigates, slipping in and out of the small islands and using the low laying early morning fog bank for cover, makes for a heck of an intense game.

With a cool site such as Anchorage, I`m sure fresh ideas and inspiration for new games is fast and plentiful.

Steve :)

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Do have a read of these AARs Stephen. I found them most instructive before I started in on the 2015 Campaign.

http://sailsofglory.org/forumdisplay...Solo-Campaigns
    http://sailsofglory.org/forumdisplay...-Solo-Campaign

Rob.

Ordinary Seaman
    Ireland

Log Entries
    Name
    Stephen

THANK you so much. I will pour over these today.

Bonjour, Stephen.

Welcome on board.

Ordinary Seaman
    Ireland

Log Entries
    Name
    Stephen

Thank you kindly Comte de Brueys

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Welcome to the Anchorage, Stephen.

Ordinary Seaman
    Ireland

Log Entries
    Name
    Stephen

*waves happily to Naharaht* I LOVE Norfolk.... where about are you mate? I used to live in West Runton, then later Cromer. Norwich is still my all time favourite city, though I doubt I`d even recognise the central market any more aaaaah, nostalgic memories of Mrs Yallops tea stall

Ordinary Seaman
    Ireland

Log Entries
    Name
    Stephen

Sorry, I just HAD to share this... like a kid, I`m soooooo excited. No, my starter set still hasn't arrived, but my first ship packet did, in the post just now. oh my GOODNESS, I didn`t realise just how good these little beauties would look. The French ship Alligator, a 14-gun sloop (originally British I believe). I`m in rapture here and my mind careening with delightful daydreams of my forthcoming games; all the campaigns, and stories ahead of me waiting to be to written into the future gaming annals.

Sorry, just had to share

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Welcome aboard Stephen.

Midshipman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Darell