Thread: Complete set of SOG

Default Complete set of SOG

Has anyone seen a full set of 30 NIB ( kickstarters, sealed starter set, wave 1, wave 2, reprints, V&C ) SoG ships for sale and how much were they were asking?

I'm thinking about putting a NIB set for sale on Amazon or ebay, but have no idea how much to ask for them

Ordinary Seaman
    Guatemala

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Gustavo

No, but I would suggest a starting bid of $175.00. Mind you, I just came up with a number out of thin air, but it would entice the curiosity of many on eBay!
    Arma Virumque Cano

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Closest thing I found: http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-Ships-Sai...QAAOSwu4BVzP4f

I see other 'completed' listings, but nothing that's an exact match. If I were placing them up for bid I'd probably try a price between $175 and the $385 Buyout price listed above. Didn't Keith put up some of the KS ships? I thought he did and got a very good price as well.
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Kickstarter ships alone has gone for about $100. Agreed that not everyone will want all ships but I think less than $250 would be too little.

When I do it will start with at least a $300 minimum or reserve on them. 30 new in the box including the kickstarters would average out to only $10 each.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Indeed! That is still not much if you want a lot of ships.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

If I were just starting out I would have bitten his hand off at that price.
    Rob.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Ed, I, too, would bite at $300. The question I fear I must ask, however, is how large of a pool is there of folks looking for SoG ships, folks who would want to purchase a complete lot. With Ares current KS, I wonder how much attention will be given to SoG; it seems the company has a focus on games that appeal to a much broader audience. I don't follow SoG on BGG, but how active is the community of players?

Another option would be to post on the Aerodrome.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Just as a side note I would be interested in purchasing the Kickstarter ships alone.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    Has anyone seen a full set of 30 NIB ( kickstarters, sealed starter set, wave 1, wave 2, reprints, V&C ) SoG ships for sale and how much were they were asking?

I'm thinking about putting a NIB set for sale on Amazon or ebay, but have no idea how much to ask for them
    Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Ed, I, too, would bite at $300. The question I fear I must ask, however, is how large of a pool is there of folks looking for SoG ships, folks who would want to purchase a complete lot. With Ares current KS, I wonder how much attention will be given to SoG; it seems the company has a focus on games that appeal to a much broader audience. I don't follow SoG on BGG, but how active is the community of players?

Another option would be to post on the Aerodrome.
    Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    Just as a side note I would be interested in purchasing the Kickstarter ships alone.
    Ed, just as has been stated there is tepid interest in this game on a broader scale. Breaking off the Kickstarter exclusives from the larger grouping would be the most advantageous. Many people who have come to the game post Kickstarter already have some portion of the lot you are selling. Like the others have said $300 is a sweet deal for that bundle but I think if you're willing to break it into a few different auctions you may have better luck.

I think you guys are right. If I don't notice much interest, I might break the set up.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

If you break the set up let me know. I'm interested in a few of the others apart from just the kickstarters. (Like a british 74, 40-gun frigates, Cleopatra and the sloops)

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Ed, Why are you selling, I thought you wanted big fleets of the S.O.G. ships
    Be safe
    Rory

Quote Originally Posted by Devsdoc View Post
    Ed, Why are you selling, I thought you wanted big fleets of the S.O.G. ships
    Be safe
    Rory
    I have 3 complete sets. One to paint and play with, one to hoard, and one to sell, not to mention many singles.
    Picked up a copy of Fighting Sail fleet actions 1775-1815 but haven't really read it yet. Also waiting for SOG's fleet actions.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Also waiting for SOG's fleet actions.
    You ain't the only one.....

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    You ain't the only one.....
    You hear that Ares! How about an update

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

I have 3 complete sets. One to paint and play with, one to hoard, and one to sell, not to mention many singles.
    Picked up a copy of Fighting Sail fleet actions 1775-1815 but haven't really read it yet. Also waiting for SOG's fleet actions.
    Hi Ed,
    Fighting Sail,I liked the idea of paper free game. Moving, that part works (Mostly). Long and middle range shooting is not bad, but close range is so over the top. One broadside can/will sink yes! sink a ship. I'm talking of a 3rd and bigger rated ships. So if you want a fun, fast and bloody game this will be the game "Fighting Sails" for you. The firing is the big lump in this road. You can push ships around, but for the historical side! This game is poor.
    Hope this helps you
    Be safe
    Rory

Howdy Rory
    Well you forced me to look at the rules and it seems that you're right. The downside is that a really great roll could sink an equal ship with just one broadside at short range, especially if it's a rake. The upside is that you could field large fleets and finish the game in one evening. Maybe not 100 percent realistic, but add a few beers and you will have a fun and exciting game, not to mention bragging rights and still get enough sleep for work the next day (for the poor souls that have to).

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Having read how in some battles ships struck, after receiving just a couple of devastating broadsides Rory, would it not be possible to half the firepower result to get a more historical game. Or am I just being too naive here.
    Rob.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I think it would definitely be possible to make this a set of more historically pleasing rules with some minor tweaks that did nothing to impact on their playability. There are some good ideas in these rules but also a few "oddities".

Watch this space as they say, as and when I get my house rules sorted I will post them to my blog.

And they are way, way better than Warhammer Trafalgar

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Great Dave.
    I look forward to that with the utmost anticipation.
    I think that running the number of ships I now have in Solo games, I have reached my level of incompetence.
    Rob.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Excellent, time for a promotion then :)

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Excellent, time for a promotion then :)
    Very amusing, but sadly true Dave.
    Rob

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Howdy Rory
    Well you forced me to look at the rules and it seems that you're right. The downside is that a really great roll could sink an equal ship with just one broadside at short range, especially if it's a rake. The upside is that you could field large fleets and finish the game in one evening. Maybe not 100 percent realistic, but add a few beers and you will have a fun and exciting game, not to mention bragging rights and still get enough sleep for work the next day (for the poor souls that have to).
    Ed, You have hit the nail on the head. It is what it is. I have a friend with poor eye-sight, Once the fleet sheets are made up (Keep mine in the great small box with buttons) I have 400 pt fleet a 600 pt and a full fleet list for each fleet. In the October' W.I. is "build a fleet" bit for the rules. I will get around to build a Swedish fleet soon. I'm unwell at this time and cannot get my head round it for now.

[QUOTE=Bligh;53734]Having read how in some battles ships struck, after receiving just a couple of devastating broadsides Rory, would it not be possible to half the firepower result to get a more historical game. Or am I just being too naive here.
    Rob.[/QUOTE

No Rob, You are right, it sometimes happen. S.O.L. where built to sit and take it! So to loses/sunk 5 or more ships a side with only one broadside each is not normal! S.O.L V frigate yes, if the frigate captain(s) is (are) dumb or have no way out and must fight.
    we tried to play around with the rules and messed them up. The one thing we did do is "That a ship must move forward before turning" So a ship in irons had to move before turning?????? We done that if the ship passed a Discipline test, it was no longer in irons. But had to roll a 6 with it's sailing dice. If it did it could only turn and not move that game turn. The Santissima Trinidad got into irons each turn she lost the "In irons" with her Discipline test, but could not roll a 6 with her sailing roll (She is a brick too sail and only has 2 sailing dice) As she did not move, back in irons she went. As for playing with the rules!!!!! see above.

I think it would definitely be possible to make this a set of more historically pleasing rules with some minor tweaks that did nothing to impact on their playability. There are some good ideas in these rules but also a few "oddities".

Watch this space as they say, as and when I get my house rules sorted I will post them to my blog.

And they are way, way better than Warhammer Trafalgar
    Oh! David, Yes please. To play Pete with a paperless game would be great.
    Be safe
    Rory
    Last edited by Devsdoc; 10-26-2015 at 14:39.