Thread: Game Advice Needed

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Default Game Advice Needed

George (CelticCat) and I just finished playing our first game of Battle Cry - original edition. It was a blast, I must say, and I, for one, had to retool my thinking. No God-like vision from above, able to command all my troops to perfection, having all units fire each turn. For George, outside of WoG and SoG, this was his first wargame.

George wants to buy something similar to play with his son (15 years old). His son really enjoys space stuff. Can anyone recommend a game, preferably with miniatures, that has a space theme and a rule set as accessible as Battle Cry or Memoir 44 ? I thought Galaxy Defenders might be worth looking into, but I have never played it.

Thanks.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

X-Wing? More miniature game though.

What about "Space Hulk" the 40k board game? Could be pricy though.

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

Full Thrust was a cracking game. Don't know if you can still pick up the rules and minis for the various factions though.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

The rules are available free for download and the starship ranges from GZG have been revised and grown considerably since the originals many years ago :)

http://shop.groundzerogames.co.uk/in...ory&cat_id=130

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Thank you for the input.

He has all the X-Wing stuff; I am not familiar with the other games, so I will take a gander.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato