Thread: Newly Found Documentary: "Broadside"

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Default Newly Found Documentary: "Broadside"

Sail Ho!

Came across this last week on "Amazon Prime"! Haven't looked for it on Netflix, but it may very well be there also!

It's a documentary of about 2 hours in length covering ALL of the Anglo - Dutch Wars of the middle to later 1600s!! Starting with war begun by Charles III following his re-establishment of the monarchy in 1660 after the death of Cromwell two years before. This is a great documentary!! The CGI of not only the ships, but also the various port and harbor locations is simply amazing in detail!! It begins with the plot Charles III developed to capture New Amsterdam from the Dutch, and bring it under the British Crown. The various sea battles are interspersed with re-enactments of the conversations involving the various principles of the period with costumed re-enactors playing all the various parts. There are also shots of period paintings and drawings of the personalities and sea battles. Mostly though the time is filled with great graphics showing the action and sea battles!

This IS definitely one you want to watch!!!!

Another interesting note: the 3RD Anglo - Dutch war happened in the period covered by a Hollywood film which provided a little known actor and his female costar their very first starring roles in a movie titled, "Captain Blood"!! Some of you may have heard of it!!!

If you're an Amazon Prime Member, or have Netflix look this one up and watch it!!! I believe it is also available on DVD if you'd prefer to own it that way!

I HIGHLY recommend this one!!!!!!

Once you've seen it don't be surprised if you think ARES should start producing ships for the Anglo - Dutch Wars period!!!
    "War is the greatest game Man can play!" BG George B. McClellan

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Sounds fantastic. I'll be sure to check it out.

Wow I'll definitely have to look for this on Amazon! Thanks!

I am still waiting to see the Micheal De Ruyter movie that was released in Europe this year, I think it is called "The Admiral" in English.

Not to be nit picky or anything but you are referring to the 2nd and 3rd A-D wars following the restoration of Charles II. Does it also cover the 1st war in the 1650s? Although for the Dutch the second one was the most momentous, with the Raid on the Medway and taking of the Royal Charles (The stern can be seen in the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam).

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Excellent find! Mrs Clipper enjoyed it as well being a big royal history fan she know all the players.I was mostly interested in the ships and strategies that were well illustrated. Free here on Amazon prime! Now I can not wait for a good study on our era! Thanks again!

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post

I am still waiting to see the Micheal De Ruyter movie that was released in Europe this year, I think it is called "The Admiral" in English.

Not to be nit picky or anything but you are referring to the 2nd and 3rd A-D wars following the restoration of Charles II. Does it also cover the 1st war in the 1650s? Although for the Dutch the second one was the most momentous, with the Raid on the Medway and taking of the Royal Charles (The stern can be seen in the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam).
    Eric,

It does go into the first war under Cromwell in background, which is where it begins. In fact the first few minutes it flops back and forth in order to reveal the major players, and how the restoration all began. It does go into great depth on the Medway Raid, and the capture of the Royal Charles!!

Just imagine the fun with more then 100 + ships per side!!!!

I have played in A-D war battles at conventions with 30 ships a side using Langton's 1/1200 ships and his "Tiller & Whipstaff" rules. I watched the intro and I'll watch the show this weekend.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Just went to amazon. I recently signed up for a Prime trial, so we'll watch this this weekend. Thank you for the recommendation.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post

I have seen dvd's of the movie 'The Admiral: Command and Conquer' on sale in supermarkets over here. I have not bought a copy yet. Name:  61Dlgrx2iML.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  65.7 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Right Paul.
    That's certainly one I must get to broaden my knowledge of the period.
    Thanks for the heads up.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Well I had a look but can't find it on Amazon here.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by John Paul View Post
    Sail Ho!

Another interesting note: the 3RD Anglo - Dutch war happened in the period covered by a Hollywood film which provided a little known actor and his female costar their very first starring roles in a movie titled, "Captain Blood"!! Some of you may have heard of it!!!
    A funny thing that you should mention this Paul.
    One of my Dad's female colleagues where he used to teach was a direct decedent of Captain Blood. I had never heard of him before I met her, but when we went to the Tower of London some time later one of the Yeoman Warders told us all about his exploits.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Cheers Dave, that did it.
    Rob.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Amazon.co.uk have reduced the price of "Admiral: Command and Conquer" to £4.99. I have ordered a copy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Just got mine for that price Dave.
    Thanks.
    Rob.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Thanks, Dave for the info on the DVD I will definitely order a copy of that one!! Fortunately I have a Region Free player, so I have more then a few documentaries from the UK in my library!

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I watched 'Admiral: command and Conquer' yesterday. It was an enjoyable film. It is a biopic of Michiel de Ruyter, one of the greatest Dutch admirals.

The naval battles are depicted using computer generated ships to show the fleets manoeuvering, interspersed with scenes from the decks of ship sets. The sets and costumes are very good.

It is mainly in Dutch with English subtitles but when in England or on an English ship the actors speak English.

I cannot comment on the historical accuracy but comparing the film's content with the biography on Wikipedia much has been left out. Also, I cannot say whether the characters of his family, friends, rivals and various political figures have been accurately depicted.

My judgement is that it is well worth watching.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Must get around to watching my copy after Doncaster Dave.
    Might help me to brush up my Dutch too.
    Rob.