Rob

Who said Golf was boring?
    Bligh.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

The only way golf should be played is In The Distant Past.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Kenneth

The only way golf should be played is in Phoenix. When I come up there, I'm bringing my clubs, I'm bringing Bombay Sapphire, and I'm bringing SGN. Anybody want to join me? How about a 5:30 tee time? Before it hits 110 at noon. I need a foursome, guys, help me out. Two weeks from now, on Sunday.
    Last edited by Kentop; 08-15-2015 at 19:40.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I know the saying it never rains on the Golf Course Ken, but 110 in the shade, when there isn't any seems a bit extreme.
    Here in England we go wild if it hits 90.
    110 equates rather closer to my handicap than temperature.
    Hope you manage to make up your foursome O.K.
    Rob

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Kenneth

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    I know the saying it never rains on the Golf Course Ken, but 110 in the shade, when there isn't any seems a bit extreme.
    Here in England we go wild if it hits 90.
    110 equates rather closer to my handicap than temperature.
    Hope you manage to make up your foursome O.K.
    Rob
    The high in Phoenix yesterday was 113. They say it is going to "cool down" to 110 by Monday. Desert rats like me just keep moving and stay hydrated, use lots of sunscreen. Phoenix has some of the best golf courses in the world and during the summer is the only time I can afford them. Tee times start at 5:30 and generally cost between 20 dollars and 90 during the summer. Triple that number in the winter and the courses are so packed you can't get a tee time for weeks because of all the snowbirds. Getting an early tee time is absolutely mandatory. That way, you are in the club house before noon. You see guys out there golfing in nothing but shorts and shoes, when you see anybody at all. Most days in the summer, you have the course to yourself. I have played with guys who actually aim for the shady spots on the fairway!

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Golf was invented by sailors, as a new "drinking game" while ashore! It was hoped the officers wouldn't notice it's true purpose!!
    "War is the greatest game Man can play!" BG George B. McClellan

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by John Paul View Post
    Golf was invented by sailors, as a new "drinking game" while ashore! It was hoped the officers wouldn't notice it's true purpose!!
    I thought it was invented by a Hobbit.... >;)

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Just don't play golf on deck. There would be too many 'Lost Ball' penalties. :)

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    I thought it was invented by a Hobbit.... >;)
    Aye, a sea going Hobbit he was! Great on the green, but his drives always came up far too short!!
    "War is the greatest game Man can play!" BG George B. McClellan

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Not one of the Shire Hobbits then Paul?

There were these two men from Gondor who played golf together frequently. One was several strokes better than the other. The lesser player was very proud, and never wanted to take any strokes to even up the game.
    One Saturday morning, he shows up with a Hobbit in tow at the first tee. He says to his friend, "I've been trying to beat you for so long that I'm about ready to give up. But, I heard about this golfing Hobbit, and I was wondering if it would be alright if he plays for me today. In fact if you're game, I'd like to try to get back all the money I've lost to you this year. I figure comes to about a thousand bucks. Are you willing?" The other guy thought about it for a minute, and then decided to play the Hobbit. "After all, how good could a 3 foot tall Hobbit be at golf?" he thought. Well, the first hole was a straightaway par 4 of 450 yards. The guy hits a beautiful tee shot, 275 yards down the middle, leaving himself a 6 iron to the green. The Hobbit takes a few practice swings and then laces the ball 450 yards, right at the pin, stopping about 6 inches away from the hole. The guy turns to his friend and says "That's incredible, I would have never believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes. No point in my trying to win this hole from there. Let's move on. The same thing happened on the next three holes, 450 yards right up to the pin. Again the hole is given. Eventually the Hobbit's opponent can take no more punishment. You know what, I've seen enough. I've got no interest in being totally humiliated by this Hobbit golfing machine. You send this Hobbit straight back to the Shire. I need a drink; better make it a double, and I'll write you a check."
    After handing over the check, and well into his second double the guy asks, "By the way, how's that Hobbit's putting?"
    The other guy replies, "Same as his driving."
    "That good, huh?"
    "No, I mean, he hits putts the same way - 450 yards, right down the middle every time!"

Bligh.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Bandobras_Took

...bloody *heathens*.... >;)

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Well spotted Chris.
    Rob.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Very funny, Bobby. I did not see that coming.

I had the pleasure of spending the day after our final class golfing with three of my graduating students. The tables were turned as they taught me how to play. It was a special day.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato