Thread: A bit of history and classic BBC TV

Midshipman
    England

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

Default A bit of history and classic BBC TV

I've long been a fan of the US TV show from the 80's North and South, the civil war series starring a young Patrick Swayze (RIP).
    Recently i have been re-watching what can only be regarded as the UK sister show from 1983 and the BBC, "By the sword divided".
    It is still a classic and stands the test of time very well. I thought i would post this for the interest of those who have an interest in English history.
    https://uk.video.search.yahoo.com/se...ided&fr=mcafee

This is just episode 1 of the first season. It starts at roughly the end of the Thirty years war and beginning of the troubles in the UK and Ireland which led to the English civil war. The speech is of Olde English style and may seem a little hard work at first, but persist and you will be rewarded. The series has strong ties with the Americas and the early east coast settlers, also features Prince Rupert of the Rhine. Though not much to do with SoG.
    Enjoy.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Prince Rupert served as a naval commander a number of times, although it was before the Napoleonic era. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince...t_of_the_Rhine

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

You can still get the boxed sets of series one and two on Amazon, but the price is a bit steep.
    I'm glad I got mine some years ago.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Prince Rupert served as a naval commander a number of times, although it was before the Napoleonic era. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince...t_of_the_Rhine
    Yes Prince Rupert was a very interesting Man apart from being a Cavalry Leader.
    He was a scientist and amongst other things discovered the phenomenon known as Prince Rupert's Tears.
    Quite successful as a maritime commander he was a thorn in the side of Cromwell's Navy.
    Maurice his brother, also a naval commander was eventually lost at sea.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    England

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

Yes Rupert and Maurice's naval exploits were most successful and provided a slender link to SoG.
    Its a shame SoG's scope wont go back to then or to the Mary Rose.