Thread: Casting dock lines

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mark

Default Casting dock lines

Just coming back from a long summer hiatus here in Michigan (it finally warmed up), I hope I haven't missed too much (but I probably have). I bet Jonas got his HMS SURPRISE finished, I myself have been working on a FRIDAY THE 13TH board game similar to CAMP GRIZZLY, and messing around with my old ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK GAME from TSR. I did however get my mitts on the USS CONSTITUTION and HMS VICTORY ship packs, and I am very pleased with them to be sure. It also seems my frock got a little heavier in the form of 2 medals awarded, and for that I am honored. Speaking of the USS CONSTITUTION, she was on the local news in dry dock. The restoration personnel were pulling the copper planking from her hull, exposing the 200+ year old wood underneath, and talking about her backstory, along with a walk along throughout her decks. VERY NICE. I am glad to see our government taking care of old girl. Well to the pub I'm headin' (the men are thirsty!), but in closing, everyone stay safe and I hope everyone has a great summer with family and friends!

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Yes I did.

Surprise!

And congratulations on the new medals!
    Last edited by TexaS; 07-06-2015 at 13:34.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Congrats on your awards and recognition!

It does sound like you've been busy, but don't be too much of a stranger. You might miss Wave 3?
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    Yes I did.

Surprise!

And congratulations on the new medals!
    Thanks for the congrats, once again I stand wide eyed and envious of your talent. She turned out beautiful man, really nice! But with you behind the brush I knew she would. Keep up the great work! -Mark.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Congrats on your awards and recognition!

It does sound like you've been busy, but don't be too much of a stranger. You might miss Wave 3?
    Roger that, summer goes by quick so you gotta enjoy the cookouts, etc. Winters are just too damn long. But thank you for the congrats, enjoy the summer and be safe, best wishes to you all. -Mark

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I'ld be interested in seeing the condition of the wood underneath the copper. I'll have to look for that story.

As for summer, we're having strange weather. Yesterday high 80's and sunny - quite hot actually. Today and tomorrow, 70 and rainy.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Kenneth

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    I'ld be interested in seeing the condition of the wood underneath the copper. I'll have to look for that story.

As for summer, we're having strange weather. Yesterday high 80's and sunny - quite hot actually. Today and tomorrow, 70 and rainy.
    The official site has a blog with lots of interesting stuff going on. No pics of the wood yet, thought. Just a couple of short films of them removing the first plate off the rudder. A few days ago, this article appeared in the official blog: http://usscm.org/restoration/off-with-his-head/

Quote Originally Posted by Kentop View Post
    The official site has a blog with lots of interesting stuff going on. No pics of the wood yet, thought. Just a couple of short films of them removing the first plate off the rudder. A few days ago, this article appeared in the official blog: http://usscm.org/restoration/off-with-his-head/
    Very cool - thanks for that link!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That was an enthralling visit to the world of Old Ironsides. I will revisit that web cam from time to time.
    The story of Andrew Jackson's head was very entertaining. I never realized just how high feelings were running at that time.
    Thanks for the link Ken.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post

Hey there Eric, yeah it has been strange, same weather here too, minus about 10 or 15 degrees. The CONSTITUTION story was on CBS NEWS about a 5 minute segment to honor the 4th. The wood underneath was lookin' pretty rough, painted black but looking dry rotted. Very thick looking hull, alotta wood in ole girl. Have a safe summer. -Mark

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Thanks for the link. The video of them removing the first copper plate from the rudder was great! Some of those copper plates look like they've be punctured? I'd say it was time to do the work they've embarked on.
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steven

Thanks for the link , it looks it might be time for a road trip. Maybe.