Thread: Just ordered Field Commander: Napoleon

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Default Just ordered Field Commander: Napoleon

I just ordered Field Commander: Napoleon: https://rpggeek.com/boardgame/42673/...ander-napoleon

Has anyone played this? The reviews rate this pretty highly, and it is designed for solitaire play.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Never even heard of it before now! However, you've got me interested in this one!!!

Eric, my wife says you're becoming a bad influence!! Of course, she doesn't know you as well as we here do!!!
    "War is the greatest game Man can play!" BG George B. McClellan

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by John Paul View Post
    Eric, my wife says you're becoming a bad influence!! Of course, she doesn't know you as well as we here do!!!
    That I already am a bad influence, no becoming involved here?

Marco created a whole series of reviews on the aforementioned BGG page. I respect his opinions about wargames, and for him to make as many as he did on one game speaks volumes. These videos will give you a decent idea about the game.

Another two highly rated games that were in the order are:

Empire of the Sun 2nd ed.: https://rpggeek.com/boardgame/11825/empire-sun - this edition has a solitaire rule set.

and

Battle for Stalingrad: https://rpggeek.com/boardgame/72799/battle-stalingrad - an interesting card game that I'll learn and play with Sue.

I love CSI gift certificates.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

I have seen this one. Nice to have a CSI gift certificate! Amazon has it for $90 and some of the 1st editions are selling higher on ebay. Please let us now how you like it.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I will. When it arrives, it will bump up to the top of my new game learning pile.

I have been selling WoG planes that is financing my wargame purchases. Also, whenever folks want to buy me a present, I say amazon or CSI gift certificates.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Amazon has become the "Gamer's Friend" for shopping!!

The only problem is when an Amazon box shows up on the doorstep the wife knows I've ordered something gaming related!!!
    "War is the greatest game Man can play!" BG George B. McClellan

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steven

I have been looking at that game for sometime now. I picked up field commander Rommel (the price was right). Check out www. Dvg .com . Cheers !!!!

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Napoleon should be gracing our doorstep tomorrow. Given the change in my work schedule due to jury duty, I won't get this to the table until the week of the 19th, but I look forward to it.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

The game just arrived, so I am heading out to a coffee shop to work; otherwise I will be into the game on this cool and rainy day made for gaming. I am not even breaking the shrinkwrap. The box is sizable and heavy, probably twice the depth of normal GMT or AH boxes. It appears that a lot of gaming goodness awaits.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Kenneth

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    I just ordered Field Commander: Napoleon: https://rpggeek.com/boardgame/42673/...ander-napoleon

Has anyone played this? The reviews rate this pretty highly, and it is designed for solitaire play.
    You really are a bad influence. I can't wait to get my hands on that game. It looks fantastic. Thanks for pointing it out.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

The game just arrived, so I am heading out to a coffee shop to work; otherwise I will be into the game on this cool and rainy day made for gaming. I am not even breaking the shrinkwrap. The box is sizable and heavy, probably twice the depth of normal GMT or AH boxes. It appears that a lot of gaming goodness awaits.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentop View Post
    You really are a bad influence. I can't wait to get my hands on that game. It looks fantastic. Thanks for pointing it out.
    There are a number of YouTube reviews of this game and they're all very positive. I really don't need another board game, but the solo play is very tempting.
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Then I won't mention just purchasing C&C Napoleonics, and the Austrian, Prussian, and Russian expansions (Marco's reviews on BGG sold me on this series due to solo playability).

I couldn't wait until later this week to open the FC: Napoleon box, so I finally ripped off the shrinkwrap. The components are very nice. I'll share more once I play the first scenario.

Funny thing is that playing SoG has rekindled my interest in land-based Napoleonic wargaming. I'm glad I kept Wellington's Victory. Now, I'll have to find some good books to read on battles, tactics, etc.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Kenneth

Then I won't mention just purchasing C&C Napoleonics, and the Austrian, Prussian, and Russian expansions (Marco's reviews on BGG sold me on this series due to solo playability).

I couldn't wait until later this week to open the FC: Napoleon box, so I finally ripped off the shrinkwrap. The components are very nice. I'll share more once I play the first scenario.

Funny thing is that playing SoG has rekindled my interest in land-based Napoleonic wargaming. I'm glad I kept Wellington's Victory. Now, I'll have to find some good books to read on battles, tactics, etc.
    My copy of Field Commander: Napoleon is still shrinkwrapped and waiting for me to pounce on it. But it will have to wait. I was at a goodwill store looking for a bed frame for my mother in law when I stumbled upon a mint condition, never played boxed set of Strat-O-Matic Baseball. The 1981 edition. That's the version of the game that was inducted into the Hall of Fame after it was used to simulate the cancelled All Star game. During the baseball strike, a lot of radio announcers used Strat-O-Matic to simulate games along with sound effects, celebrity managers, and other gimmicks. But I've been playing it for a few days and it really is better that APBA. You have a lot more control as a manager in SOM.

Here's a pdf of a well known military historian on the evolution of operational art from Frederick the Great to Napoleon.

Telp.pdf

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Great find!!!

The only sports related games I have played are AH's Football Strategy - a neat and relatively simple game that Sue and I enjoy playing together - and PB's Tennis - a fun, quick card game. I am interested in trying some of the other sports games. We have friends who are now gamers; they love hockey. My neighbor is a baseball nut, but not a gamer; maybe something like your find would bring him to the table.

Thanks for the .pdf.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on FC:Napoleon.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I was at a goodwill store looking for a bed frame for my mother in law when I stumbled upon a mint condition, never played boxed set of Strat-O-Matic Baseball. The 1981 edition. That's the version of the game that was inducted into the Hall of Fame after it was used to simulate the cancelled All Star game. During the baseball strike, a lot of radio announcers used Strat-O-Matic to simulate games along with sound effects, celebrity managers, and other gimmicks.
    All it needs is the L.A. Dodgers recording of "We Are The Champions"....

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Kenneth

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    All it needs is the L.A. Dodgers recording of "We Are The Champions"....
    It was a weird year. Because of the strike, MLB decided to treat it like two seasons. The division winners of the first half before the strike, were wild carded with the winners of the second half. To this day, people say that the Reds should have been in the series instead of the Dodgers. But the Dodgers had a hell of a team anyway with Don Sutton on the mound and the bats of Steve Garvey and Reggie Smith.

Midshipman
    Poland

Log Entries
    Name
    Andrzej

FC Napoleon is DVG's buster I suppose. I own FC Rommel and played it once. The overall experience is surprisingly good. The AI crushed my forces:(.

Well now you'll just have to pre-order the next C&CN expansion - Generals & Marshals!

I remember setting up Wellington's Victory many years ago in my parents dinning room. Unfortunately the game was decided by the charge of the heavy cat brigade across the table top!

As a starting point for references I'd recommend Mark Adkin's "Waterloo Companion". Of course it depends on what campaigns you are interested in studying. John Gill has an excellent 3 volume set on the 1809 Danube campaign, which is now out in paperback:

http://www.amazon.com/Thunder-Danube...ords=john+gill

If you need more to whet your appetite for Napoleonic land warfare here is a link to some photos I took during my trip to Belgium for the Waterloo bicentenary:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/256769...57655224344656

It is still a bit disorganized (I took 800+ photos).

Enjoy

Eric

Midshipman
    England

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

I recommend 1812 by Adam Zamoyski, a very good read indeed. Quite a touching read as well as full of strategic maneuver.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Eric, thanks for posting the link to your photographs!! Amazing images. I can only imagine how expensive some of those uniforms might be? Even the simple ones must cost a tidy sum to put together. I noticed you got a nice close up of Blucher, but I didn't see any close shots of Wellington or Napoleon?

Which leads me to ask this question. How do the various reenacting groups decide on who portrays the various leaders for an event of this size? It has to be coordinated somehow, but how they decide would be interesting to know?
    –English Proverb

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

It was a weird year. Because of the strike, MLB decided to treat it like two seasons. The division winners of the first half before the strike, were wild carded with the winners of the second half. To this day, people say that the Reds should have been in the series instead of the Dodgers. But the Dodgers had a hell of a team anyway with Don Sutton on the mound and the bats of Steve Garvey and Reggie Smith.
    And the trio of Complete Lunatics comprising Jay Johnstone, Jerry Reuss, and Don "Stan The Man Unusual" Stanhouse -- great players all, but also wholly devoted to driving Tommy Lasorda insane....

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Eric, thanks for posting the link to your photographs!! Amazing images. I can only imagine how expensive some of those uniforms might be? Even the simple ones must cost a tidy sum to put together. I noticed you got a nice close up of Blucher, but I didn't see any close shots of Wellington or Napoleon?

Which leads me to ask this question. How do the various reenacting groups decide on who portrays the various leaders for an event of this size? It has to be coordinated somehow, but how they decide would be interesting to know?
    Hmm, I should check the album because I did get several close ups of Wellington reviewing troops and giving a TV interview. Maybe those photos are on my phone! I didn't have a ticket to the French bivouac, which is why you see mostly allied troops and only a distant shot of Napoleon. I do have a video from the re-enactment when Napoleon rode by my stand.

Regular foot soldiers gear is not all that expensive - your musket being the single biggest expense, followed by your cap or shako - $500-1000 (there was a vendor there selling replica arms but on the high end of that scale). Officers uniforms or cavalry on the other hand....

My understanding is that there are several en-enactors who regularly play the leaders so by default they get the job. The guy who does the Prince of Orange also re-enacts a regular foot soldier. He is Dutch and really looks the part ( talk about an expensive set up!). For Napoleon there was some controversy because the organizers had to choose one and someone was put out by the choice, an American I believe. The re-enactors I spoke with agreed with the choice - a French lawyer who has done Napoleon often in France. Seems appropriate. Blucher was a guy who got into re-enacting after he retired so he is the right age and looks the part! (apparently he doesn't ride though).

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    Hmm, I should check the album because I did get several close ups of Wellington reviewing troops and giving a TV interview. Maybe those photos are on my phone!
    Suddenly I'm reminded of those old David Wolper documentaries where the conceit was "cameras existed at the time, so historical figures could be interviewed".... :)

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Thanks Eric for the answers. Interesting background information. I've done one historical reenactment outside of our Highland Celtic group, but it was still Scottish. As I remember I had to borrow almost everything for the event outside of the Black Watch kilt. I think the reenactor's get more excited than the crowds who come to visit. I know I did.
    –English Proverb

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Thank you for the book recommendations, Mates.

I played the first scenario of FC:Napoleon. It was quite fun, but I wished there was a detailed set of designer notes, for though I understood how to execute the mechanics, not being familiar with land-based Napoleonics, I wasn't always sure why I was doing what I was doing.

Eric, thanks for the photo link. I started looking at them, but I will need more time for a thorough viewing. I really liked the Wellington quote. As for C&C, I need to order the upcoming expansion and the Spanish expansion. FC:Napoleon really whetted my appetite.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Hey Eric. Two more Napoleonic games have arrived at Miniature Market. I have no knowledge of either but as new arrivals you might be interested (if you haven't already pre ordered)?

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/catal...085/s/dcg3008/

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/dcg3033.html
    –English Proverb

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Hey Eric. Two more Napoleonic games have arrived at Miniature Market. I have no knowledge of either but as new arrivals you might be interested (if you haven't already pre ordered)?

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/catal...085/s/dcg3008/

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/dcg3033.html
    Thanks for the heads up, Jim.

I am currently reading the rules to Academy Game's 1812: The Invasion of Canada before my 3:00 conference call. I don't know if you remember Sue's workroom when you were here, but we swapped rooms this past week. So my wargame room is immediately to the left when you enter the front door. I can have wargames set up for long periods of time now. I have the windows right in front of the table, so the ambiance is rather nice. With the added shelves, all the wargames and minis are off the floor; that, in and of itself, is a major victory.

I have all three Field Commander games in queue for Christmas break.

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

I have the CC Ancient game variant. Very good and I've started transposing my 15mm Ancients for the blocks. Makes a nice visual game. The blocks are nice too.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Thanks for the heads up, Jim.

I am currently reading the rules to Academy Game's 1812: The Invasion of Canada before my 3:00 conference call. I don't know if you remember Sue's workroom when you were here, but we swapped rooms this past week. So my wargame room is immediately to the left when you enter the front door. I can have wargames set up for long periods of time now. I have the windows right in front of the table, so the ambiance is rather nice. With the added shelves, all the wargames and minis are off the floor; that, in and of itself, is a major victory.

I have all three Field Commander games in queue for Christmas break.
    Excellent! I vaguely remember the layout of your house and it would seem you got a great deal on that room swap.

I do have one of those solo games which I picked up at a bargain price at this year's Gen Con. I should haul it out, but I don't have the space for long term gaming like you. Have fun over break!
    –English Proverb

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

We swapped so Sue can be in a warmer room during the wintry months. I do like the layout, though. I will see if the Boss can take and upload a few pictures.

The Field Commander games have the smaller boards for the various scenarios. For quicker games, George (CelticCat) and I have been enjoying the Victory Point Games solitaire line. I just picked up these two small solitaire wargames:

Khe Sahn '68: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/186974/khe-sanh-68

Suez '56: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/...rvention-egypt

Though I am mostly interested in WWII when it comes to traditional hex-and-chit wargames, I am enjoying the various solitaire games. Besides an enjoyable time playing, I learn a bit of history. Many of these games are playable within an hour.

Neil, the C&C series is quite nice.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

George (CelticCat) and I played 1812: The Invasion of Canada today. It is a very fun game. I played the introductory scenario solo to get a feel for it the other evening. Today, we played it, and both of us liked how Academy Games put the game together in terms of the components having everything you need to know embedded in them. After a few minute explanation of the rules, we were playing, and after the first turn, we mastered the rules. It reminded us a bit of WoG in that the rules are fairly simple and intuitive, opening the space to concentrate what you want to do as opposed to managing mechanics. We'll play this several times and then try Academy Game's 1775. If they play similar, I will keep the one we like the best, and trade the other.