Thread: Ugh... Well ya got me.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Thomas

Default Ugh... Well ya got me.

Ok, really, first I was only getting WoGF. I don't want to play WoGS, first is plenty. Well, just two planes won't hurt anything. Why not? Ok, I am fine. I have this under control. Sails of Glory... Hmm, I have read Horatio Hornblower since I was a child. Jack Aubrey was like a second father to me growing up. No, Tom, just no. I don't have the time or money to sink into another game. WoGF and WoGS are plenty. Well, maybe just the starter set (It was ordered and is on the way). It is a sickness. I can't control it anymore, I even blame my son, "Hun, it get him away from the video games." I am giving up. Soon, I'll have a fleet I am sure.

Anyway, just wanted to stop in and say hello. Maybe, time permitting I'll be able to fit in some AAR's and the such. I will be sure to check back once the ships arrive and the first game is played.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

It is great having you aboard and part of our crew.

When you have a chance, check out our solo stuff: http://sailsofglory.org/forumdisplay...-Solo-Campaign. It will help with the addiction.

We have mini-collecting group recovery meetings on the second Thursday of each month.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Welcome aboard Thomas!

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Arrrrrrgh! Another bites the dust!! Welcome aboard, Thomas!! You have only begun your time at sea!!!!!
    "War is the greatest game Man can play!" BG George B. McClellan

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Greetings Thomas! Welcome to the Anchorage AND your new addiction.
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Welcome Thomas, yes it's a sickness we all have I'm afraid, never quite enough or just one more ship/ plane."......" Yerr Reight

Enjoy your time here, from Bristol UK

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Thomas

Thanks everyone, for the warm welcome. Fortunately, I have a full time live in playing partner so I won't be needing the solo rules. My 10 year old is a huge fan of WoGF, so I'm thinking this will be a good fit as well. Does anyone have any ship recommendations that are must buys? I have my eye on Constitution. Or any of the supplements? I'm sure I'll end up with a bunch but I was curious what's necessary and what isn't.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Any answer would be highly subjective regarding necessary. I prefer to build a wide array of ratings/sizes of ships so I have some diversity; I run most of the games when we play so I am always thinking about scenario creation. Others prefer building along the lines of time periods or conflicts. Others, yet, prefer frigates or SoLs and the types of battles they engender.

With the starter, you'll have one SoL and one frigate on each side. I don't think you would go far wrong picking up a second of each. This would give you many playing options - four against four, SoL against two frigates, duels, etc.

The Victory and Constitution are nice given their historical importance.

You'll find that once the game starts, you can easily substitute any ship for another by using various ship logs as most people will never know the difference; people will focus on their maneuvers. Given the level of abstraction already present, I would not be too concerned about the "accuracy" of firing arcs, etc., when substituting, though if you have the skill, you can always create customized ship cards.

Basically, start playing and build according to what you want to try next. I am taking the gang through WWII chronologically, and that is providing me a scheme for building my WGS collection.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Thomas

I think I'm leaning towards smaller ships sloops and frigates. I feel like there is more scenario diversity. From my limited knowledge many single ship actions were smaller ships. Most SoL were not used for patrols as often. Mostly they stayed in fleets, blockade duty or in port. There are exceptions but not many. It was also considered poor form for a SoL to fire on a frigate unprovoked. So I guess that's the road I'll be going down. Thanks for the help though

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Welcome aboard Tom.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Welcome to the Anchorage, Thomas.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Welcome aboard!

I'd recommend buying a SGN105. It's still a frigate but it has a little more survivability.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steven

welcome aboard , have a great time playing the games. Enjoy the website there are a lot of friendly people here and a lot of knowledge. So cheers and welcome.

Midshipman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Darell

Hi and welcome from Alberta

Welcome from Arizona, Tom.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bob

Welcome aboard matey,

So you think your addicted to SoG huh. I recommend the "cold turkey" treatment. Let me know when you receive your starter set and I'll tell you where to send it. I'm addicted too.

Now, keep you eye out for the postman.

Bob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Nothing sick about this Thomas. Unless you sup too much of the old Jamaica with me tonight.
    Welcome to the blue side.
    Bligh.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Thomas

Oh god!!! I'm out of rum!! I guess I need to remedy that before Tuesday.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by tgalante View Post
    Oh god!!! I'm out of rum!! I guess I need to remedy that before Tuesday.
    Worry ye not Thomas. His Majesty's Britannic Navy will remedy the deficiency from the hold of my Frigate.
    Bligh.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Some older rums tastes great but I know nothing about them. I prefer whisky myself.

Vodka here. But after a few, everything tastes good

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steven

I'll have BEER. Cheers !!!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Everything an old sea dog should know about Rum.

For well over 300 years, Great Britain's Royal Navy issued a daily "tot" of Pusser's Rum to the crews of their ships - and always a double issue before battle and after victory! First introduced into the Navy in 1655 as a substitute for beer, by 1731, it was in general use.
    And the name Pusser's? Nothing more than a corruption of the word "purser". On board ship, the purser was responsible for ship's stores - including the rum. Everything that came from the purser was called "Pusser's" -- and still is today. Hence the name Pusser's Rum!
    The history of rum in Great Britain's Royal Navy was largely that of social change, both in England and the Royal Navy. From 1650 throughout the 18th century, shipboard life was incredibly difficult. The daily issue of Pusser's Rum was the highlight of the day. Then, too in those days, battles were fought "eyeball-to-eyeball". The mental alertness and courage required to pack a cannonball into a muzzle loader were far different from that required to operate the modern weapon systems of today. Thus in 1970, the Admiralty Board decreed that there was no place for the daily issue of rum in a modern navy, and so ended the daily issue of Pusser's Rum in the Royal Navy on July31st,1970. This date since then, is referred to "Black Tot Day". The rum issue, one of the longest and unbroken traditions in seafaring history, ended as the last tot of Pusser's was drunk on board Their Majesties Ships. "Round the world" in every ship of the Navy, glasses were raised in their final salute. 'The Queen'!", they said, and it's no exaggeration to say that at that moment many a strong man shed a tear at the passing of a tradition so old and fine, that was to be no more.

On the Origin of "Grog" and Vernon's Orders.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	admiral-vernon.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	7.4 KB 
ID:	15503

Over the centuries, the amount of rum changed from time to time. Prior to 1740, Pusser's Rum was issued to the men neat, that is without water. They received 1/2-pint twice daily! Admiral Vernon (pictured at right), the hero of Portobello and the Commander-in-Chief, West Indies Station was very much concerned with what he called the swinish vice of drunkenness which he believed was caused by the men drinking their daily allowance of rum neat, that is without water. He believed that if the same amount of rum was mixed with water, and then consumed that it would reduce drunkenness and discipline problems for which the punishment could be brutal. Thus he issued his infamous Order to Captains No. 349 on August 21, 1740. His order stated that the daily allowance of rum "be every day mixed with the proportion of a quart of water to a half pint of rum, to be mixed in a scuttled butt kept for that purpose, and to be done upon the deck, and in the presence of the Lieutenant of the Watch who is to take particular care to see that the men are not defrauded in having their full allowance of rum... and let those that are good husband men receive extra lime juice and sugar that it be made more palatable to them."
    The sailors, or "Jack Tars" had affectionately nicknamed Admiral Vernon "Old Grog" from the "grogram" cloak he often wore on the quarter deck. The watered rum gave great offence to the men, and soon they began referring to it contemptuously as "Grog" from the name they'd already provided Admiral Vernon. Thus, true Grog is Pusser's Rum and water with lime juice and sugar!

The "scuttled butt" in Vernon's Order eventually became the "Grog Tub" from which the daily Grog was issued. Petty Officers received their Pusser's Rum 'neat' directly from the Spirit Room at 1100 hours daily when the bos'n piped "Up Spirits!" to herald the event. The issue of Grog to the rest of the sailors followed one hour later.
    Changes in the Issue

Name:	grog-tub.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	8.6 KB 
ID:	15504

The ration - or tot - was later increased to two parts water and one part rum, and in 1756, the daily ration of Pusser's Rum was increased to one pint per day, per man. Finally, just before the tot ritual ended in 1970, it was reduced to one-eighth pint.
    Over the more than 300 years that Pusser's Rum was issued on board ships of the Royal Navy, a whole litany of special terminology grew up around it. (see Pusser's Folklore). Pusser's Rum became a form of currency, a way to pay off old debts or to reward a shipmate for a favor. Even card games were played for rum. Pusser's Rum had a value that was defined by such terms as "a wet", "sipper", "gulper" and "sandy bottoms", all used to define the amount.
    Stalwart men, like Chief Petty Officer Frank Reynolds kept the vital sea lanes open during the Battle of the Atlantic of World War II. The highlight of each man's day was the issue of their daily tot of Pusser's Rum. When the Royal Navy finally abolished the rum issue, many of the old salts took early retirement and never returned.

The Pusser's Rum tradition is still alive. In 1979, Charles Tobias–entrepreneur, global sailor, raconteur–sought to resurrect the Pusser's Rum tradition. He obtained the rights and all the blending information from the Admiralty, and formed Pusser's Ltd. on Tortola in the British Virgin Islands and began bottling and selling this storied spirit in 1980 to the public for the first time. (Prior to then, it was restricted to the Royal Navy). British Navy Pusser's Rum is the same Admiralty blend of five West Indian rums as issued on board British warships, and it is with the Admiralty's blessing and approval that Pusser's is now available to the consumer.
    The Royal Navy Sailor's Fund, a naval charity more commonly called the "Tot Fund" receives a substantial donation from the sale of each bottle of British Navy Pusser's Rum. Aside from the fund's original bequest, the Pusser's contribution has become the fund's largest source of income.

Bligh.

Pusser's is alive and well (until I kill the bottles I have left) in 80 and 95.5 proof

Name:	Pusser's  80 & 95.5 proof.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	141.4 KB 
ID:	15505

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Thomas

Ok, starter pack was received on Tuesday. Now, it's Friday and I find myself buying USS Constitution, HMS Swan, Alligator, and Hermione. I love the smaller ships. Who wants to captain a huge old 74 or a first rate? One question though, Why no HMS Speedy? she seems like a very active and famous ship for the time? Everywhere I turn I run into a reference for her. Anyone think there is a chance for her in a future release? I know there was talk of pirates in the future. Were they going with ARGH!! pirates of the Caribbean? Or more historical, with Barbary pirates? Oh, how badly I wish for some Barbary pirates... That would be great crushing them with the Constitution. Anyway, I hope everyone has a great gaming weekend!

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by tgalante View Post
    Ok, starter pack was received on Tuesday. Now, it's Friday and I find myself buying USS Constitution, HMS Swan, Alligator, and Hermione. I love the smaller ships. Who wants to captain a huge old 74 or a first rate? One question though, Why no HMS Speedy? she seems like a very active and famous ship for the time? Everywhere I turn I run into a reference for her. Anyone think there is a chance for her in a future release? I know there was talk of pirates in the future. Were they going with ARGH!! pirates of the Caribbean? Or more historical, with Barbary pirates? Oh, how badly I wish for some Barbary pirates... That would be great crushing them with the Constitution. Anyway, I hope everyone has a great gaming weekend!
    Hey Thomas. Some quick replies to your questions although they may only be speculative answers. No HMS Speedy might relate to the uniqueness of the ship sculpt and statistics. Ares has made every effort to make ships that have a comparable named ship flip side card and log for the sculpts. DB or Manley will likely have the complete answer.

Pirates have been loosely promised by Ares and no one really knows if they're going the historical route or a fantasy take on that theme. The problem with pirates and their ships, as I understand it, relates to size and power in an area of the game where Ares has limited their options for play balance. Again DB or David will be able to explain more on this as they are both consultants for Ares.

Have a great weekend yourself. I'm going to try to do the June Solo campaign, but outdoor yard work may preclude that. Cheers!
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Bonjour, Thomas.

Welcome on board.