Thread: DIY Ship Bases Using 2 Part Casting Resin

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Default DIY Ship Bases Using 2 Part Casting Resin

As promised here's an updated "How to" for making custom ship bases, or any kind of casting you'd like to try actually. I've been thinking of trying to cast my own sails for the SGN ships, but that will be another post if I get there.

I will link the products used to online websites, but for the most part I've been able to pick these up locally either at Michael's, Jo Ann Fabrics or other hobby centers. Originally I got the resin casting product directly from the manufacturer, but I believe you can pick up some smaller portions for sale at Michael's. Or go via Amazon?

Base sizes you want will be determined by the number of ships you want to include in a diorama. You can make them larger and cut to size or just try to duplicate products from Langton's or other manufacturers?

I make a base using ready cut basswood and sticks from Jo Ann Fabrics.

Name:  DIYBase6.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  98.8 KBName:  DIYBase5.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  112.6 KB

Sticks along the side should be glued up up as high as you want the thickness of your finished base. I think I just eyeballed what I wanted but you should have at least 1/16th of an inch or more (1.5875mm).

Then you're going to want to make a hard surfaced material that you can mold. I used Procreate Putty.

http://www.amazon.com/Kraftmark-Comp.../dp/B00DE4YU2S

Name:  DIYBase2.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  114.6 KBName:  DIYBase1.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  108.5 KB
    Name:  DIYBase3.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  108.9 KBName:  DIYBase4.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  136.8 KB

It takes a bit of effort to mix the two parts. Think of it like making salt water taffy. You'll want to pull and stretch, fold over, pull and stretch again and again until it's all one color. For the base I made I used approximately two thirds of each stick. That was enough to cover the base I had.

Name:  DIYBase21.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  123.6 KB

Then you push it down onto the base and sculpt away. I do try to use some clay sculpting tools, but the material can be hard to work. How you model the waves is something you'll decide on your own depending on how rough you want the seas or just what suits your eye.

Name:  DIYBase22.jpg
Size:  149.4 KB

Time for curing varies, but I prefer waiting for 24 hours. When it's done the base will look something like this.

Name:  DIYBase7.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  118.7 KBName:  DIYBase8.jpg
Size:  115.2 KB

So, now you're ready to make the mold that you'll use for casting the resin. I found this stuff at Michael's "Amazing Mold Putty Kit"

https://www.michaels.com/amazing-mol.../10410575.html

Name:  DIYBase9.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  133.5 KBName:  DIYBase10.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  103.1 KB

It's a two part putty you mix 50/50. Press it down around the edges of the base so you have enough depth for the liquid resin you'll be pouring shortly to cure without leaking over the sides. I've got a new base curing right now, but it wont be ready until tomorrow. When it's ready I'll post some add on photos to show how the putty goes on. Basically you end up with a flexible mold that looks like this.

Name:  DIYBase13.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  122.9 KBName:  DIYBase14.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  118.4 KB

Casting the base is really easy with the product I purchased from Alumilite. You can also get this via Amazon, Michael's and Jo Ann Fabrics.

http://www.alumilite.com/store/p/934...ing-Resin.aspx

Name:  DIYBase11.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  152.8 KBName:  DIYBase12.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  106.2 KB

It's another two part 50/50 mixture and you should use a disposable container for mixing. I use old yogurt containers.

Name:  DIYBase15.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  115.6 KBName:  DIYBase16.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  127.4 KB

The mixture is basically clear and you should pour it into your mold as quickly as you can. It sets up amazingly fast. If I didn't mention it above you can get colors other than white. There's clear, tan and black.

Name:  DIYBase19.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  108.6 KBName:  DIYBase20.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  119.9 KB

As I said this hardens very quickly. While I was creating a new base to show off tomorrow the poured base was ready to release from the mold.

Name:  DIYBase25.jpg
Size:  115.4 KBName:  DIYBase26.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  111.3 KB

Here's the finished base ready for sanding, trimming, priming and then painting.

Name:  DIYBase27.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  101.1 KB

The new base I sculpted this afternoon will be ready to be used as a molding base tomorrow. I'll post some follow up photos so you can see how the putty works and how a new base might turn out.

Name:  DIYBase23.jpg
Size:  127.7 KBName:  DIYBase24.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  126.0 KB

I strongly urge you to use eye protection and gloves while working on most, if not all, of these products. The molding putty is actually safe for food molds, but I recommend caution just the same. More photos tomorrow.

Cheers!
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Great how to with exemplary pictures!

Sometimes you Americans crack me up with your conversions to metric. 1.5 mm would be possible to aim for, but four decimals to a mm you would have a hard time finding any milling machine that can to anything with that kind of precision. Polished steel with a step of 1 hundredth of a mm is hardly visible to the naked eye, even in my youth, and you can't really tell for sure when running your finger along the surface. I doubt even NASA would bother with four decimals.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    Great how to with exemplary pictures!

Sometimes you Americans crack me up with your conversions to metric. 1.5 mm would be possible to aim for, but four decimals to a mm you would have a hard time finding any milling machine that can to anything with that kind of precision. Polished steel with a step of 1 hundredth of a mm is hardly visible to the naked eye, even in my youth, and you can't really tell for sure when running your finger along the surface. I doubt even NASA would bother with four decimals.
    lol. I just plugged the figure into an online converter and that's what it kicked out. Copy and paste is the rest of the story.
    –English Proverb

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Well, thank you for the effort and the chuckle...

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Superb "How To" Jim. I'm sure you will get a lot of people having a go at this for simulating more realistic bases.
    In passing. When we made parts for injection moulding machines, we honed and polished them to half a micron, so I did not laugh at you at all. Guess I just lack a sense of humour after all that polishing.
    Rob.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Well done, Jim. Thank you.

I will ensure Sue see this for her Constitution.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Here's the final follow up on the DIY project. This morning the base mold was ready for trimming and clean up prior to the application of the mold putty.

Name:  DSC02281.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  132.5 KB

As mentioned above the molding putty is mixed 50/50; it's usually best to roll it into balls so you can better judge the size.

Name:  DSC02282.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  122.7 KB

When combined you're going to have to act quickly. This stuff sets up very quickly. If fact I had to toss out the first batch because in the time I went to fetch my camera it had set up enough so it wouldn't actually mold to the base. Larger quantities might be a bit harder to handle as well?

Name:  DSC02283.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  127.9 KB

So now the mold is applied to the base and it's going to cure in approximately 20 minutes. I give it 30 just to be sure.

Name:  DSC02284.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  117.1 KB

When it's removed you'll now have a mold that you can repeatedly cast new plastic bases. The new mold shows I didn't mix quite as well as I should have, but I was paranoid it was going to set up on me again.

Name:  DSC02285.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  126.0 KB

As before you can now mix up your 2 part plastic/resin liquid and pour into the new mold. In this instance I immediately saw that one of the corners wasn't high enough to contain the liquid so a little leveling stopped the drainage.

Name:  DSC02286.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  116.3 KBName:  DSC02287.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  115.4 KB

In very little time the plastic is set and you can remove it from the mold.

Name:  DSC02288.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  104.1 KB

To fix the corner issue I just took a small amount of the two parts and mixed them to bridge up the corner gap. It should set up fine and hopefully will contain future leakage.

Name:  DSC02290.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  116.5 KB

Finally, you can prime the plastic prior to painting in whatever water, ocean, sea scheme that suits your fancy. The base on the left is the one I made today and the one of the right is the one I poured yesterday.

Name:  DSC02289.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  115.4 KB

Cheers!
    –English Proverb

Able Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Do you have any photos of your bases in place with a ship on them yet?
    Never knowingly undergunned

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Now time to pay the Piper.
    Well worth some rep Jim as soon as I am allowed to.
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Rafer J Larwood View Post
    Do you have any photos of your bases in place with a ship on them yet?
    Yes, some are posted elsewhere, but I do like how the USS Constitution and HMS Guerriere turned out. Enjoy!

Name:  DSC02143.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  177.0 KB

This was my first test. Langton miniatures in 1/1200 scale

Name:  SovereignVsSantaAna3.JPG
Views: 354
Size:  198.8 KB
    –English Proverb

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Well done, Jim!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Every time I look at these I ponder about rigging my ships as yours look so good Jim. Then I think of the thirty ships I have and baulk at the thought of doing it all.
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Every time I look at these I ponder about rigging my ships as yours look so good Jim. Then I think of the thirty ships I have and baulk at the thought of doing it all.
    Rob.
    Thanks, Rob. Having done a few I can honestly say that you will reduce the time it takes to complete each ship the more you do. You'll come up with short cuts that speed up the process without reducing the look. There's no way I'll rig all the ships I have, but choosing a few for each solo scenario or a special project does get a small number done each time?
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That could indeed be the answer Jim.
    Rig as needed for a game. That will also help to indicate the ships which are not getting used.
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Just a quick addendum to the DIY thread. I'm working on a new project that involves scale buildings from both Pico Armor and Langton's. If you 'glue' some of the buildings together to create city blocks or crowded streets, etc., you can also do some molding to mass produce and/or create your own building styles to include in dioramas. You're never going to get the fine detail you would from original metal or resin castings, but if you want to create an overall crowded city effect it still works reasonably well. With priming and paint this should turn out OK.

Name:  DSC02294.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  131.1 KB

Name:  DSC02295.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  119.3 KB
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

There is no end to your ingenuity Jim.
    And to think that I have a dockside and port on my agenda too.
    Rob.