Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Russian Fleet

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Christian

Default Russian Fleet

I was doing a little research via Wikipedia and was astonished to find this list:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...line_of_Russia

What was astonishing was the number of 66 Gun 3rd Rates of the Slava Rossii-class of which 59 were built over a period of 40 or so years. 59 of ONE CLASS! They must have really loved the durn thing.

Anyway, we never seem to hear of Russian ship actions, even though they had a substantial navy... and, apparently, a lot of green paint. I know there was a little war between Russia and England shortly after Trafalgar, but I know next to nothing about it other than that it happened...

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Russians had the 3rd biggest fleet of this time. They had black & white ships not green. Lots of wars with Sweden. Also with Turkey. They fought with and against British fleets. It was a big part in the wars of this period.
    Be safe
    Rory

Well Rory is two thirds right. They were the 3rd largest fleet of the Napoleonic era. Many fleet actions. Russians proudly served on their dark green and white ships.

Haven't heard from you for a while Rory

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steven

That was very interesting, now I hope Ares games will make some Russian ships.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Christian

Russians, at least those I know, tend to be very nationalistic, so I think Ares could do worse than make a Russia pak...

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Christian, do you play Flying Colors by GMT?
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Loki 13 View Post
    That was very interesting, now I hope Ares games will make some Russian ships.
    I asked Ares well over a year ago and they said the Russians were part of their plan, but didn't give a clue when that might be.

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Christian, do you play Flying Colors by GMT?
    If he lives in the So Cal area, I hope he does. Maybe I can talk him into a game of Blue Cross, White Ensign.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    If he lives in the So Cal area, I hope he does. Maybe I can talk him into a game of Blue Cross, White Ensign.
    If Sue and I are ever out your way, we should plan an SoG and Flying Colors cookout.

Here's to the Hawks,
    Eric
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

If Sue and I are ever out your way, we should plan an SoG and Flying Colors cookout.

Here's to the Hawks,
    Eric
    I hope DA Bears & Cubs pick up on their karma.

There's an extra bedroom for you and Sue to use any time you're out here

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I hope DA Bears & Cubs pick up on their karma.

There's an extra bedroom for you and Sue to use any time you're out here
    Thank you for the offer; we'll definitely take you up on it. We could be your way next May. The best part about traveling is visiting friends.

Fingers crossed for the Bears. I do not have enough body parts to cross for the Cubs.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Well Rory is two thirds right. They were the 3rd largest fleet of the Napoleonic era. Many fleet actions. Russians proudly served on their dark green and white ships.

Haven't heard from you for a while Rory
    Hi Ed,
    I have been looking in on this site, but nothing to say! Lots about S.O.G. stuff (Funny that!). I am very well and going to try the new rules from Osprey "Fighting Sail". My frist game will be in 2 weeks and will be using my BLACK & WHITE Russians. I'm so sorry that your eyes are so bad that you cannot see the difference between Green and BLACK my friend. That you use so old information, which was printed with coal fired steam printers, is so sad too!
    As this e-mail may up-set you, I will say patting you on the back "Use green if it makes you happy. I will not take your toys from you".
    I have been doing both Russian and Swedish in-shore fleets, They are growing slowly.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Finished Pojamaa and fleet 006.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	177.9 KB 
ID:	15042

Name:	Khitraia 005.jpg 
Size:	177.6 KB 
ID:	15043

Ed, I may not be on-line lots, but you are in my thoughts.
    Be safe you old SEA-DOG.
    Rory

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Nice collection, Rory.

Please let us know what you think of the rule set once played. I recently received the book, but have not implemented anything yet. Overall, I like what Osprey produced.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Rory, I LOVE your Swedes! Perhaps I'm biased, but I find them better looking than those Russians with a lateen sail on the foremast...

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    Rory, I LOVE your Swedes! Perhaps I'm biased, but I find them better looking than those Russians with a lateen sail on the foremast...
    Jonas,
    Sorry to say, but on the Swedish photo at the back left is a full Lateen rigged Hemmemaa.
    Be safe
    Rory

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Yes, but only lateens is another thing entirely, as is having a lateen only on the mizzen. It's the square sails on main- and mizzenmasts and lateen on the foremast if it's even called that in that configuration, that isn't quite as pleasing to the eye as a Hemmema or turuma with square sails. Even though I prefer them with square sails they are still beautiful with all lateens. That one af Chapman did well. Pity they weren't that effective.

But all in all, all your models are beautifully made!

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Great looking ships there, Rory!
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Thanks all,
    For the nice words, Both fleets are growing. I do not know which rules could cope with sail and oared ships of different types and size of mixed ships/boats. Funny the only ones that come near are G.W. Trafalgar.
    I'm going to play Osprey Fighting sail on the 2nd of July. Blue water game as the rules are for large, large ship actions. As I understand it will be a Russian V Spanish affair. The one thing missing or should I say two thing missing from the Osprey rules are fleet stats for Swedish and Turkish fleets. So 90% of Russian enemies are missing from the game. It is nice Ryan added Dutch and Portuguese fleets, but it would have been better to add the frist two fleets over 2nd two fleets.
    I cannot do as the great AAR as seen on this site. I will gave it a go after the game.
    I do not think Ares will make Russian ships soon. I think more U.S. and Spanish ships will come frist. I hope not but I can see pirates coming out before Russians. To much talk of pirates on this site. As I do not do or plan to get SOG game. I think most of you know why! I have not had much to add to this site. I do look in from time to time to see what is going on. but can't add much.
    So wishing you all the best and good winds.
    Be safe
    Rory

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Rory, the best AAR you can provide is your impression of the rules. Many of us, here, respect your opinion, and would very much like to hear it about Osprey's title having been played.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Fingers crossed for the Bears. I do not have enough body parts to cross for the Cubs.
    Oh ye of such little faith!!!!!

They aren't quite there for this year, though anything is possible now that the Cards are in a bit of a fix, but next year they may be the Terror of the National League!!!
    "War is the greatest game Man can play!" BG George B. McClellan

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Devsdoc View Post
    Hi Ed,

I have been doing both Russian and Swedish in-shore fleets, They are growing slowly.

Name:	Finished Pojamaa and fleet 006.jpg 
Size:	177.9 KB 
ID:	15042

Rory
    Superb looking ships Rory.
    Bligh.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by John Paul View Post
    Oh ye of such little faith!!!!!

They aren't quite there for this year, though anything is possible now that the Cards are in a bit of a fix, but next year they may be the Terror of the National League!!!
    Not little faith. Out of respect toward Ed, I will not mention might complete confidence in the Cub's inability to make it to the World Series, or how as a Southside born-and-raised Sox fan ....

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Superb looking ships Rory.
    Bligh.
    Thanks Rob,
    The two fleets grow slowly. The bigger ones or the size of small frigates. Had to lean how to rig using bristle from hand dust-pan brush. I'm a thread man myself, but the bristle works O.K. I hate how it gives, when I pick them up. So far no pinging off with the bristle rigging.
    Be safe
    Rory

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I do like those oared ships, Rory.

Is there any significance to the color of the oars' ends - the ends in the water?

Rory probably think they're white. with his color identification problem and all

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

I do like those oared ships, Rory.

Is there any significance to the color of the oars' ends - the ends in the water?
    Rory probably think they're white. with his color identification problem and all
    Hi Ed,
    I was waiting a long time for you to bite. As always my eyes are O.K. Keep well my friend.
    Hi Eric,
    No! I have seen oars with coloured blades on all types of boats and thought it would be nice and help I.D. the ships on the tabe.
    I may not be very popular on your side of the pond. But! I wish you well
    Be safe
    Rory

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Thanks, Rory.

I think you're very popular this side of the pond. I doubt I am alone when I say I am always happy to see your username/avatar pop up.

Same here Rory, I've yet to hear nothing but praise for you and your work.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Thanks Guys,
    But read the" today in 1812", I think you may not think as above. I am looking at the bigger picture.
    A very sad story! Today 3 in 4 young people in the U.K. do not know about or what is the battle of Waterloo
    Be safe
    Rory

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I doubt you would have even that success regarding Americans knowing about the War of 1812, or most anything about U.S. history.

I doubt you would have even that success regarding Americans knowing about the War of 1812, or most anything about U.S. history.
    Kids don't pay much attention to history in school and college...but in light of the revisionist, left wing, hate America history being taught today in most schools and colleges in this country, that might not be such a bad thing.

I think there's a need in humans to complain about something.
    Look at us and Ares

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I can only say that the folks at Jamestown, Yorktown, and Williamsburg take your history very seriously I'm pleased to say.
    Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Been looking at this "colour " debate with interest. I do not know much about the Russian Navy but I do know a little about the Russian army of the period. Their coat colour has been described as Dark Green, almost black, so this could be why both colours are mentioned for the Navy colours ?
    What say you chaps?

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Coog View Post
    Kids don't pay much attention to history in school and college
    When I was in grad school, I was a discussion section leader in an interdisciplinary program - combines history, philosophy, art, etc. in one class, the sequence of classes moving though time. I will never forget in one lecture, the professor asked what event occurred during the mid-70s that was a representation or marker of the shift from modernism to postmodernism. A student sincerely replied, "The bombing of Hiroshima."

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    I can only say that the folks at Jamestown, Yorktown, and Williamsburg take your history very seriously I'm pleased to say.
    Rob.
    Rob, if you ever want to see some Lincoln history, we live an hour from quite a bit. We even have some Lincoln-related history in the town in which we currently reside. The door will be open, and a room will be ready.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

If Rob ever gets as far as Illinois he really needs to head north to Oshkosh for the EAA Airventure. The "Warbirds" show is always worth seeing.

https://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/fe...hipmunks-40044

–English Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Duff View Post
    Been looking at this "colour " debate with interest. I do not know much about the Russian Navy but I do know a little about the Russian army of the period. Their coat colour has been described as Dark Green, almost black, so this could be why both colours are mentioned for the Navy colours ?
    What say you chaps?
    I agree Chris. There were problems with the green dyes/pigments where they turned almost black with washing/wear. I also read somewhere that, I think it was Alexander I, wanted them painted black with white stripes but couldn't find anywhere that it happened (don't tell Rory or he'll jump on this one).

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I agree Chris. There were problems with the green dyes/pigments where they turned almost black with washing/wear. I also read somewhere that, I think it was Alexander I, wanted them painted black with white stripes but couldn't find anywhere that it happened (don't tell Rory or he'll jump on this one).
    Ok Ed, I'll keep Schtum :)

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

I'm Jumping,
    I think Ed is a little right. I can see Black dyes/pigments going from black to green, not green to black. If every nation could paint ship colours they ordered, why could not the Russians? Pictures and painting show the black and white inc the cover of the best history of the Russian sailing fleets. "Russian warships in the Age of Sail 1696-1860" It shows old copper at the water-line green, but above the water line Black & white. The picture is of a laid-up fleet in 1851. Paul 1st establishing a uniform white and black colour scheme on all Russian warships and Offices coats from white to dark green. When did the ships become green? How long when they green? When did they go back to black? I can see old black paint looking green. Remember Russian Northern fleets where laid-up for sometime each year because of being iced in. Time to re-paint! Ed you keep your old worn out green ships.
    I dream of seeing your green and my black fleets together kicking British, Turkish and Swedish bottoms.
    Be safe Ed
    Rory
    Last edited by Devsdoc; 06-19-2015 at 15:03.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Oh yes!
    And theFrench in the Med, too
    Be safe
    Rory

Well Rory, I don't know what to say. I'm looking at my copy of Russian Warships in the Age of Sail 1696-1860 and the ships are positively dark green and white.
    Do you wear sunglasses when you look at pictures? I can see dark green looking black but, looking at two pair of my very old black western trousers, they turned a charcoal color(not green). Even though I've read that depending on the composition, dark pigments gave different results.
    One would think that the answer must be known on some Russian navel site (that I can't find).
    Maybe the next time I go Oktoberfesting, we can find a Swedish player to take it out on. I don't think we have any Turkish members on this site.
    Once again Rory, nice butting heads.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    If Rob ever gets as far as Illinois he really needs to head north to Oshkosh for the EAA Airventure.
    I think the Oshkosh show is one Sue and I need to make. Jim, do you go every year?

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Devsdoc View Post
    I can see Black dyes/pigments going from black to green, not green to black.
    I would think this to be the opposite. Since black is the absence of color, I could see green moving toward black as the pigments making the shade of green diminish.

However, I have noticed that old black t-shirts, for example, develop a bit of a reddish hue.

We need someone who studied color theory to jump in here; also, these comments are about color change, and not the color of Russian warships, which we all know were blue.
    Last edited by 7eat51; 06-20-2015 at 05:43.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I think the Oshkosh show is one Sue and I need to make. Jim, do you go every year?
    Eric, I've not gone in several years. The show is fantastic, but the crowds are somewhat daunting. The Museum is open year round and I've actually done a work related trip to their library. It's a great experience although I'm more into the historical flight vs. the experimental flight.
    –English Proverb

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Do you know what percentage is historical vs. experimental? This might be a trip to make sometime other than the show. The older I get, the less I enjoy very large crowds. When I was younger they couldn't be large enough. Life is funny.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Do you know what percentage is historical vs. experimental? This might be a trip to make sometime other than the show. The older I get, the less I enjoy very large crowds. When I was younger they couldn't be large enough. Life is funny.
    Good question. I'll see what I can find out. It's also dependent on the year. Some years they push a historical theme, which makes it a no brainer for the history buffs. One year I do recall was a huge B25 representation. Btw, I just saw this article, which would interest folks over on the Aerodrome: https://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/ea...ing-to-oshkosh
    –English Proverb

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Good question. I'll see what I can find out. It's also dependent on the year. Some years they push a historical theme, which makes it a no brainer for the history buffs. One year I do recall was a huge B25 representation. Btw, I just saw this article, which would interest folks over on the Aerodrome: https://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/ea...ing-to-oshkosh
    Thanks.

With the 70th anniversary, maybe it will swing historical.

Will you post this on the 'Drome? If not, may I?

the color of Russian warships, which we all know were blue.
    Thanks a lot Eric.
    Do you know how hard it will be for me to get a decent blue over dark green, And even harder for Rory with his black ships.