Thread: New players

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Matt

Default New players

Decent well established gaming group looking to play SoG. Can 4 players truly play with the starter set? We all have ideas for where and in what direction we want to go, but can 4 people sit down and play with just whats in the box?

Welcome from Arizona, Matt.

My first SGN game was with 4 players and the Starter set. 2 teams with a frigate & 74 each. We started the game with 74 verse 74 up north & the Frigate verse Frigate at the southern end. But the Frigate (British) that was a little further north broke off to help his partner and got in a broadside along with the English 74 on the French 74 before the French Frigate could respond. I still remember the fun I had playing for the first time. So the short answer to your question is yes.

Midshipman
    England

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

Welcome to the forum Matt
    As Gunner says YES its perfectly fun and playable to start out 4 players with the starter set.
    One of the best things about SoG for me is the game works well with small fleets and single ships. Its a blast to have a game with no "balance issues" "uber units" or "deathstars", and SoG is free of all that garbage that plagues so many other games out there (long may it last).
    Play what ever ships you like, just remember to play to your strengths. Its historically based so common sense tends to prevail in regards to match ups.
    Above all have fun

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

Again, welcome aboard Me Hearties!

I started with someone elses collection, I definitely think it possible to start with just the basic box, but I think it will rapidly become apparent you need 4 of the same basic class to fight a game that is fun for all. I think the better players can get away with using a 74 against a first rate occasionally though!

I, personally, recommend you invest in 2 more 74s, one for each side, as a starter. But do whatever makes you and your friends happy!

Bonjour, Matt.

Welcome on board.

Midshipman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Darell

Hi and welcome from Alberta

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Hello Matt and welcome to the Anchorage. Enjoy sailing around the site. It's a grand game from the starter set and beyond.
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Welcome aboard, Matt.

I recommend either two more 74s or two more frigates. Personally, I would go with the frigates because having two frigates and one SoL per side is more balanced than two SoLs and one frigate, in terms of what the frigates can do. With two frigates, you can gang up, if you will on an SoL. I think the scenario options are greater early on until you have built up your fleet. This game will clearly demonstrate the difference between a lone SoL and a lone frigate if ever engaged in a duel.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Welcome aboard Matt! Sooner or later you are going to want something different than games with the same four ships. If you are wanting to keep costs down I would recommend building around what would compliment what you already have in the base set. The frigate sculpt from the second wave of ships is a 38-gun frigate that fits between the 74-gun ship of the lines and 32-gun frigates of the base set. You would want HMS Sybille/Amelia for the British. Both of the other two color/nationality schemes are French, the Carmagnole/Sibylle and Proserpine/Dryade, so either would do. If it is in your budget will allow four ships get two of each, especially since each model can be used with a different name. This would enable you to play with some asymmetrical combinations that would let you explore the outcomes of engagements such as multiple frigates against one ship of the line.

Just a plug for buying two starter sets.
    You will have two sets of rules, counters, markers etc. to share with players. And since each ship card has two names your fleets are doubled.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Welcome to you Matt.
    Some good advice given here for you and the answer to your question is yes...but.
    This could lead to either two seperate games or a lop sided one, in my opinion anyway.
    If possible I would recommend getting hold of two starter sets, this will give a group of four a SoL each and a Frigate each depending on what you want to play. Also this way will give you two sets of chits which you will at least need as you build up your fleets.
    Just my 2d

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Johnny

HI, I'm one of the friends in Doc's game group,and I am looking forward to SoG. As soon as I can free up some cash i'm getting a starter set. And ,yes, I'm a Pirate......

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Hi Matt,

I forgot to point you to our solo stuff: http://sailsofglory.org/forumdisplay...-Solo-Campaign
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Welcome John
    I like your alias. You're not into fast draw by any chance are you?

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Matt

Even if I can't get my group into it, the solo campaign looks like a great idea......

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Melvin

Ok...whatever it was got fixed :)

3rd member of Doc's group and destined for Her Majesties service

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Matt

Hahaha.... conscripted into service of the crown.........

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Matt

My starter set is inbound. Whether the game group adopts it or not, the single player scenario makes it viable....... I also picked up the USS CONSTITUTION out of pure silly pride, that and it was 50% off with the purchase of the starter set. ;-)

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Welcome to the Anchorage, Matt. You got a good bargain on the USS Constitution model.