Thread: Matters arising from last night

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Mike

Default Matters arising from last night

Had a quick teaching game with Dave from our club last night - short report http://troubleatthemill.blogspot.co....-of-glory.html FWIW.

Couple of questions arose, one of which I found the answer to here (what happens when you're taken aback while using broken mast moves), but here are the others:

• Does the fact that there are no veer numbers on broken mast moves mean your choice is unrestricted? I assume yes.
    • Can you fire (broadsides or musketry) when grappled? I couldn't find a clarification, but we went with 'yes, but only on the turn you grapple, as after that you'd be firing into your own men."
    • The rules if taken literally seem to say that you do not need to specify WHAT you're repairing in a delayed repair action till the second turn. This seems a bit off to me. Thoughts?[1]

[1] To quote from the rules, page 31, emphasis mine: "During the Action phase of the next turn, the action is resolved. At this point the player can decide to..."
    "And we'll rant and we'll roar, like true British sailors
    We'll rant and we'll roar, all on the salt sea
    Until we strike sounding in the channel of old England:
    From Ushant to Scilly, 'tis thirty-five leagues."

I think all your interpretation were correct, except that continued gunfire is allowed even if grappling persists (you could of course house rule it). I agree the repair thing is odd, I imagine it was for simplicity's sake

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

From what I have read, it was usual for the lower gun decks to maintain fire into the hull of an enemy ship when boarded until she struck.
    Bligh.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I would feel bad for any boarders who didn't have much experience and thought to themselves "We should head down to the gun deck and start killing the gunners, that way they wouldn't shoot back at our ship" and then later "Oh Sh*** our ship is firing grapes at us!"