Thread: Do it yourself ocean game board

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mark

Default Do it yourself ocean game board

I don't know if this has been posted yet, and by no means do I wish ARES to lose financial support, but if you're on a budget or need a larger playing area, the fix is simple. Go to your nearest Wal Mart, Target, or mom and pop store that sells fabric by the yard (for making pillow cases, or whatever), look for fabric that appears to be watery,navy blue in appearance, buy a yard or two (it can be folded, so more is better), than go where they sell the teeny bopper posters and look for a cheap frame (with cardboard backing, and clear plastic front) with the edges that remove to allow poster to fit inside. 2 ft by 3 or 4 ft is standard, simply put your fabric within(flat as possible with no creases) as you would a poster and replace clear plastic over top(CAREFULLY, as clear plastic is flimsy) put you borders back on, and you're good to go. You could glue the edges if you want to keep the borders from falling off, but you don't need to, especially if you use different maps for it. I've done my D&D, horrorclix, etc maps in this fashion and it works great, provides non sticky surface and protects the game map for just a few bucks. Sparing up some change for more ships! Hope this helps. - Your shipmate on the Great Lakes... -Mark

Landsman
    Netherlands

Log Entries
    Name
    Kev

That's a really good tip, Mark. Thanks for sharing!

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Brad

Thanks for the post Mark.

You may be interested in what I have done. I used a piece of 8' x 4' 5 ply and covered it in dark green velvetine/velveteen or as they call it nopw, panne velvet. I then stapled a border of angled timber around it. I originally went for the dark blue but decided on the green instead as I think it looks a bit more like the sea. Photos attached for comparison of the material.

The base is designed to sit on an ordinary dining table and stowed vertically when not in use. To prevent the material sagging and thus stretching, there at
    are 6 longitudinal strips of 2" double sided tape running the length of the board. My better half made up a cover to protect it all. When it is all tarted up I will post more pics!

You will also notice I have modified my bases too. There is a post somewhere about it.

Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mark

Very nice, I like the way the light catches the matierial, simulating white caps! Good play area as well, right on! "The anchors aboard, and the cable is stored, you'll be rollicking Randy Dandy O'!