Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hermione in the news again.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steven

Hi everybody , Le'Hermione has made it to N.Y. C. Tomorrow July 2nd I will be going to see her up close and personal. I will try to post some pictures.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Loki 13 View Post
    Hi everybody , Le'Hermione has made it to N.Y. C. Tomorrow July 2nd I will be going to see her up close and personal. I will try to post some pictures.
    Have a fantastic time!! If you do get some photos we'd definitely be happy to see them.
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVVpsR8XynA

If I have to pronounce it when I use it, I think I'll sell it.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Thank you Rob and Eric for your postings of the pictures.

Rob, what a great photo of you holding the SoG ship. That's cool.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Ken

Hermione is in Greenport NY, on the North Fork of Long Island on Monday and Tuesday, July 6th and 7th. I already have my tickets for the family and will be going to see her on Tuesday.

Does anyone know if they sell any souvenirs on board?

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

B.B.C. news had a segment on L'Hermione's arrival in New York. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-33357711

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Ken H View Post
    Hermione is in Greenport NY, on the North Fork of Long Island on Monday and Tuesday, July 6th and 7th. I already have my tickets for the family and will be going to see her on Tuesday.

Not on board Ken, but if it is the same as Yorktown, there are plenty of Itinerant traders plying their whores, sorry wares.It's that spell check again.
    Bligh.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVVpsR8XynA

If I have to pronounce it when I use it, I think I'll sell it.
    Easy way out for we non linguists is just to drop the first and last letter thus- ermion.
    It took Eileen a week of coaching to get me to that stage.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

They should have a kiosk on shore selling the usual stuff. I bought one of the red crew t-shirts. They also have a more expensive traditional French striped long sleeve "sailor" shirts, which I bought for my wife (they sold out of the women's sizes in Phila.). I also bought a short paperback book, well pamphlet really which covers the building and sailing of the replica.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Easy way out for we non linguists is just to drop the first and last letter thus- ermion.
    It took Eileen a week of coaching to get me to that stage.
    Rob.
    That's a good way to look at it! I tried listening to a French tourist say it complete with guttural rolling sounds on the "er" part!

Anyone going to see L'Hermione in NY or Boston should try and make it as she sails in or if there is a parade of sail. One of the best parts was the rolling broadside she did before docking. I took a couple of photos but a video would have been awesome. They alternated port/starboard going down the side with four or five guns, very cool. Gives you an idea of how much smoke a broadside would produce.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Compared to French, Italian seems so easy.

Earlier this week, Sue, some friends, and I were discussing English and all the exceptions and pronunciation issues, e.g. the pronunciation of spook and book.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post

Earlier this week, Sue, some friends, and I were discussing English and all the exceptions and pronunciation issues, e.g. the pronunciation of spook and book.
    Hey Eric,
    When you come from Lancashire, it is the same.
    Look, spook, and book.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    England

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

Eric, if you ever come over this side of the pond and we meet up (hopefully we will), you will meet my lovely wife from Stoke on Trent (famous world wide for its pottery). The middle of England and upward speak quite differently to us refined Southerners (yes i expect the jessies comments lol).
    Here are some words and their northerly phonetic versions:
    Southern = Northerly
    Bus = Boz
    Grarse = Grass (yep they get it right)
    Spook = Spoo-ck
    Look = Luke
    Glarse = Glass
    Book = Boo-ck

There are lots more, as my wife says them i will add them (covertly, as she gets a bit funny lol).

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Steve, it would be wonderful for all of us to meet. We have put of traveling the past few years for various reasons, but lately, we have realized that something could always derail traveling plans, so we need to make arrangements and go, period. Next year, barring life-or-death situations, we will be either in the U.K. or on a cruise on the Continent. Regardless, the following year we'll do the other. Sue used to do a bit of ceramics; I'm sure she would enjoy visiting your area.

I have noticed on many of the British shows we watch that folks often insert an "r" at the end of words, and I think those words often end in "s".

I used to have a book on Chicagoese. I gave it to my English professor so he could learn to speak properly. He used me one day in class, unbeknownst to me. He would say a word and then have each of us say what that word meant. I was the only class member from a city, and of all places, that being Chicago. He called on me first, every time. I had one definition, the rest of the class has another. Even words we shared, we pronounced them differently and spoke at different speeds. It was my first experience living outside of Chicago, and the culture shock went both ways. One of my roommates, another fine young Italian-American, was from Pennsylvania, and he would woorsh his clothes while I would wahsh mine. Chicago "a"s are like ah, sometimes "o" as well, e.g. property = prahperty. My family pronounces "th" as "d", like dis, dat deese, dem, and dose, and "thr" as "tr" as in one, two, tree. You have to love language.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Hey Eric,
    When you come from Lancashire, it is the same.
    Look, spook, and book.
    Rob.
    I am not sure how to ask this in writing, Rob, but I'll try. Is it more like "u" as "u" is pronounced in Italian or Spanish. i.e. "oo" with a line over the two "o"s as opposed to "oo" with a concave line with the ends higher than the middle?

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Shifting north from Chicago you might enjoy this YouTube from Wisconsin Trails. As a life long resident of Wisconsin I can identify with some, but not all, of the accents and pronunciations included here.

And not to steal the OP thread here's a nice update on L'Hermione:

http://www.france24.com/en/20150702-...4-celebrations
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The way I can best explain Eric is to say Lancashire. Looook, booook, spoook as in ghost.
    In Nottingham we would say Luk, buk, spook is the same as your take on it. Not English as she is spook. That would be spoke as in wheel.
    Rob.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Tell me about it -- I have two "ch"s in my name, AND THEY'RE PRONOUNCED COMPLETELY DIFFERENTLY....

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Shifting north from Chicago you might enjoy this YouTube from Wisconsin Trails. As a life long resident of Wisconsin I can identify with some, but not all, of the accents and pronunciations included here.
    Ooooh, Jim, I look forward to seeing this, you knooow.

The way I can best explain Eric is to say Lancashire. Looook, booook, spoook as in ghost.
    In Nottingham we would say Luk, buk, spook is the same as your take on it. Not English as she is spook. That would be spoke as in wheel.
    Rob.
    Interesting.

Primarily, Sue and I watch British shows, series, films. At first, we had to use subtitles or the rewind button a lot. Now, we're pretty good, though some of the accents still escape us. It has gotten to the point that we recognize British actors far, far more than American actors. What is weird, though, is seeing actors who star in may period pieces, and then seeing them in a contemporary setting. That's one thing we like about British T.V. - the literature adaptations to screen.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Tell me about it -- I have two "ch"s in my name, AND THEY'RE PRONOUNCED COMPLETELY DIFFERENTLY....
    Many of my friends from Eastern Europe have names that are difficult for Americans to figure out how to pronounce them.

I always thought my last name was pretty easy, but it gets butchered all the time. Often, when someone is reading a list of names, I know the person is at mine because there is a pause.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Kenneth

Primarily, Sue and I watch British shows, series, films. At first, we had to use subtitles or the rewind button a lot. Now, we're pretty good, though some of the accents still escape us. It has gotten to the point that we recognize British actors far, far more than American actors. What is weird, though, is seeing actors who star in may period pieces, and then seeing them in a contemporary setting. That's one thing we like about British T.V. - the literature adaptations to screen.
    My wife and I do the same thing. We are currently on the 13th season of "Heartbeat", a cop show in a small Yorkshire town (talk about accents!) that has the highest crime rate in England. It's set in the 60's with lots of British sixties music thrown in. We also watch Doc Martin and a few shows from Netflix (Ballykissangel, etc.) I've never been a fan of Coronation Street, but that stupid bluesy theme song haunts me even now. I order disks directly from England and play them on a zone free DVD player. The writing is so much better than most American series. I absolutely hate the "reality TV" crap the US puts out now. I hope it doesn't catch on across the pond.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Kentop View Post
    My wife and I do the same thing. We are currently on the 13th season of "Heartbeat", a cop show in a small Yorkshire town (talk about accents!) that has the highest crime rate in England. It's set in the 60's with lots of British sixties music thrown in. We also watch Doc Martin and a few shows from Netflix (Ballykissangel, etc.) I've never been a fan of Coronation Street, but that stupid bluesy theme song haunts me even now. I order disks directly from England and play them on a zone free DVD player. The writing is so much better than most American series. I absolutely hate the "reality TV" crap the US puts out now. I hope it doesn't catch on across the pond.
    Yeah, the British put forth much better writing than typical American dribble, at least what we tend to have access to.

Heartbeat - I will check that out.

We have bought many series on disc. Some of them are annual plays for us. I need to get a zone free player; I ordered Rising Damp, but can't play it yet.

Hulu has many great series available.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Quote Originally Posted by Kentop View Post
    I absolutely hate the "reality TV" crap the US puts out now. I hope it doesn't catch on across the pond.
    I'm really sad to say that the seed to what has become today's reality tv came from Sweden. Survivor was licensed from a Swedish program.

We have done good thing too, I promise...

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I thought the first reality shows came from Europe. Didn't a European country create Big Brother or something like that?

At least we can claim the Kardashians, and we're sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post

And not to steal the OP thread here's a nice update on L'Hermione:

http://www.france24.com/en/20150702-...4-celebrations

Nice clip Jim. It is too bad that most Americans don't know how much the French did for us during the War for Independence. A timely intervention that may well have saved our bacon! I would hazard a guess that more people remember the whole, sad "Freedom fries" episode than the history of the Revolution!

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steven

WOW!!!! That ship was AWESOME !!! (Le' Hermione). I went to see her yesterday in N.Y.C. We went early and that was a good thing , because it got crowded fast. Also to my surprise a Spanish ship
    showed up right across from the Hermione. I do have some pictures of both ships. I will try to post them later . The parade of sail is on the 4th of July , in which I will try to go to that. I'll try to get some pictures of it. CHEERS EVERYBODY!!!

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    Nice clip Jim. It is too bad that most Americans don't know how much the French did for us during the War for Independence. A timely intervention that may well have saved our bacon! I would hazard a guess that more people remember the whole, sad "Freedom fries" episode than the history of the Revolution!
    I liked that clip very much, especially the brief comments by the French captain and other dignitary.
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I thought the first reality shows came from Europe. Didn't a European country create Big Brother or something like that?

At least we can claim the Kardashians, and we're sorry.
    In that case I will reciprocate Eric by apologizing to our American cousins for Big Brother.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks very much for the updated clip Jim.
    Mrs B and I just ran it.
    Bligh.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Loki 13 View Post
    WOW!!!! That ship was AWESOME !!! (Le' Hermione). I went to see her yesterday in N.Y.C. We went early and that was a good thing , because it got crowded fast. Also to my surprise a Spanish ship
    showed up right across from the Hermione. I do have some pictures of both ships. I will try to post them later . The parade of sail is on the 4th of July , in which I will try to go to that. I'll try to get some pictures of it. CHEERS EVERYBODY!!!
    Great job on getting to see the ship. Looking forward to some photos if you get the time. I hope you can visit the Parade of Sail tomorrow. Sounds like it will be an awesome time if you can go!
    –English Proverb

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I trust that you realize that the 'Heartbeat' t.v. show is mainly fiction just as 'Cabot Cove' is not the murder centre of the U.S.A..

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Kenneth

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    I trust that you realize that the 'Heartbeat' t.v. show is mainly fiction just as 'Cabot Cove' is not the murder centre of the U.S.A..
    The actor who played constable Nick Rowan made that comment about the fictional town of Ashfordly when being interviewed for an anniversary show.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I still think Midsummer has all other fictional towns left way behind in murder rates.

Midshipman
    England

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

If you combined reality tv and one of those like midsommer murders, the detective would show up and everyone else would leave town.
    Where ever Miss Marple went, death seemed to follow. Surely the police must have pondered the prospect of her being the worlds most lethal mass murderer!

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

One of the many tropes mocked by the film _Hot Fuzz_: The small town with a ridiculous murder rate -- "it was worse than Detroit".... >:)

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph.../MysteryMagnet

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Meanwhile back on the title of the thread, here is a clip from three days ago.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/french-f...lutionary-war/

Bligh.

Thanks for the clip Rob. Enjoyed watching it.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steven

Name:  P1020694.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  240.4 KBName:  P1020696.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  245.7 KBName:  P1020697.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  209.7 KBName:  P1020699.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  206.4 KBName:  P1020700.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  255.7 KBName:  P1020703.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  201.8 KBName:  P1020705.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  278.5 KBName:  P1020712.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  173.3 KBName:  P1020713.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  164.5 KBName:  P1020728.jpg
Views: 593
Size:  233.5 KBName:  P1020728.jpg
Views: 593
Size:  233.5 KBName:  P1020729.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  238.9 KB[ATTACH=CONFIG]15479 Hey everyone sorry for the pictures being posted a little late. It was a very busy long weekend.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steven

Ok that was the Hermione , now for the Spanish ship. Name:  P1020714.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  234.7 KBName:  P1020715.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  180.2 KBName:  P1020716.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  128.9 KBName:  P1020717.jpg
Views: 575
Size:  186.9 KBName:  P1020723.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  194.7 KBName:  P1020718.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  179.7 KBName:  P1020719.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  183.3 KBName:  P1020717.jpg
Views: 575
Size:  186.9 KBName:  P1020720.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  176.9 KBName:  P1020722.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  194.5 KB

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steven

Hope everyone enjoyed the pictures. I forgot TWO pictures from the Hermione. The first is of yours truly trying at the helm. The second speaks for itself. Enjoy. Name:  P1020708.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  156.8 KBName:  P1020724.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  250.4 KBName:  P1020726.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  147.9 KB

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Great pictures, Steven!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Well worth the wait Steve, and a Spanish ship as a bonus to boot.
    Thanks Rob.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steven

Thank you very much. I tried to get some decent pictures for everybody here on the Anchorage to see. I went to the parade of sail but in my haste I forgot the camera , sorry about that . Cheers !!!!

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Thanks for posting the photos. You got some excellent shots!!!
    –English Proverb

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Thank you for the photos.

Interesting flags on top of the masts, and cargo being transferred on ship.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steven

Thank you , about the flags on top of the masts , one was the American flag, the other two I don't know. Now about that cargo , As soon as that ship docked one of hand hopped off and picked up two twelve packs of Pabst Blue Ribbon beer .When he returned to the ship he was going to try to throw them on the ship. Well my friend , son & I ,were not going to let that happen, there would have been beer all over. So fortunately one of the other hands tossed him a couple of lines to get the beer to the ship. That was a close one. Oh yeah the Spanish ship was not open for tours yet ,it came out of Philadelphia so we were told.

Thanks for the photos Steven. Looks like you got on board with Lafayette and Gen'l Washington!

The Spanish ship is the Galleon Andalucia and she was in Philadelphia. I am suspicious that they don't actually sail her. She was in the parade of sail with her sails furled just as you see at dock. I know the larger ships mostly motored, but at least set some sail! Also note that her standing rigging is not tarred. Maybe her crew drank too much Pabst Blue Ribbon

Oh and thanks for getting this thread back to the OP

PS: The galleon does sail: http://www.elgaleon.org/gallery.html
    Last edited by DeRuyter; 07-07-2015 at 12:46. Reason: content

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Those are very good shots of the Galleon Andalucia under sail Eric.
    Just a pity we don't have any film footage of her.
    Or do we?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu-RLUOL-2E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CA8ubSddEw

Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Folks on the East Coast still have time to catch Hermione; she's in Boston, Massachusetts today and tomorrow, Castine, Maine next week and Lunenburg, Nova Scotia July 18th. Tall ships continue as well with some nice coverage of Hermion and the Portuguese ship N.R.P. Sagres.

http://hermione2015.com/voyage2015/

http://www.abc6.com/story/29505073/l...to-new-england
    –English Proverb