Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Victory and Constitution... Are you in the same boat i'm in?

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Brendon

Default Victory and Constitution... Are you in the same boat i'm in?

When the kickstarter started I got two of each type of ship so I could have a large navy. So I assumed the Victory and Constitution would have two ships on each card as well, so I got two. There is only one ship card for the Victory and the Constitution. I thought maybe I could use photoshop and make a new ship card for each ones sister ship. The Constitution had two similar ones the President and the United States. Did either one of these ships look similar to the Constitution where I would not have to do a lot of remodeling? Also what would be a good one for the Victory?

I think President and United States are functionally identical to Constitution. I got 2 for that reason. A replacement ship card would be nice--and with all the skilled artists on the message board I imagine we'll see one soon--but for me it wouldn't be essential.

I imagine there are several good candidates for Victory flip-sides, but personally I only ordered one, since we already have several other British first-rates...

As far as I know the Russian Ches'ma class was a very close copy of the Victory (see Russian Warships in the age of Sail 1696-1860 page 153). Just change the yellow to white and the black to Dark Green.
    There are those who are color challenged that say it should be white and black. Take that with a grain of salt

And welcome to the Anchorage Brendon

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Brendon, there are also two more, 1814 USS Guerriere and USS Java, and there's negligible stat difference other than official Rating between Victory, 1810 HMS Boyne and 1811 HMS Union.

For a further stretch, 1778 Indien/1780 SCN South Carolina is said to be the direct ancestor of the Humphreys 44's, but I need to check comparative sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by fredmiracle View Post
    I think President and United States are functionally identical to Constitution. I got 2 for that reason. A replacement ship card would be nice--and with all the skilled artists on the message board I imagine we'll see one soon--but for me it wouldn't be essential.

I imagine there are several good candidates for Victory flip-sides, but personally I only ordered one, since we already have several other British first-rates...
    President and United States carried 42 pounder carronades. Constitution had 32 pounder carronades. Although the models would have the same appearance, I don't know if it would change the stats due to the heavier weight fired by President and United States. And as we have discussed previously a few times, the formula used by Ares in calculating firepower is somewhat of a mystery.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I don't suppose that Ares would consider publishing packs of ship cards and ships logs for sister ships without a model, so that the same model could represent more than two ships.

They did for Wings of War, so maybe. We can only hope
    DB seems to have enough information to make it happen.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

And I've repeatedly clubbed them over the head with the idea and that there is interest here... it falls on deaf ears.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    They did for Wings of War, so maybe. We can only hope
    DB seems to have enough information to make it happen.
    That's when Nexus was producing Wings of War and it had started out as a card game and became a miniatures game. My impression is that Ares is not going to release anything that can be packaged for a greater profit.

Wish I was proficient with photoshop to make my own ship cards with color and nationality changes for different ships. Could use existing maneuver decks with + or - mm's and various captain and crew ability cards.

I was hoping that someone was going to make some for U S ships like the ones Jim (Nightmoss) made for the U S 38s.

Quote Originally Posted by Coog View Post
    I was hoping that someone was going to make some for U S ships like the ones Jim (Nightmoss) made for the U S 38s.
    ??? I must have missed that.

??? I must have missed that.
    http://www.sailsofglory.org/showthre...ll=1#post36469

Now all I have to do is try to con Jim into a project or three.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

It seams Ares cunningly sent them out to people without scanners first. It's been days and nothing in the way of stats or ship cards.

Even pictures has been scarce and then not of any ships fully in the open.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Hi Brendon,

Welcome to your first post.

Where in Illinois do you live?
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Brendon

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Hi Brendon,

Welcome to your first post.

Where in Illinois do you live?
    Thanks, for the ideas I will have to try to get these ships converted.

7eat51, I live in the northern suburbs of Chicago in volo.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by VerySlick View Post
    I live in the northern suburbs of Chicago in volo.
    We're from the Southside, though we currently reside in Bloomington. We're home often. I have a Brother-in-Law in the Gurney area.

We have a group of folks from Milwaukee to Rockford to Bloomington to the Chicagoland area that meet throughout the year for day-long sessions of Wings of Glory, and hopefully this year, more Sails of Glory. If you're ever interested in joining us, let me know.

One important question - are you wise, intelligent, and insightful, or are you a Cubs fan?
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

One important question - are you wise, intelligent, and insightful, or are you a Cubs fan? [/QUOTE]

You Black Sox fans are all alike

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Brendon

We're from the Southside, though we currently reside in Bloomington. We're home often. I have a Brother-in-Law in the Gurney area.

We have a group of folks from Milwaukee to Rockford to Bloomington to the Chicagoland area that meet throughout the year for day-long sessions of Wings of Glory, and hopefully this year, more Sails of Glory. If you're ever interested in joining us, let me know.

One important question - are you wise, intelligent, and insightful, or are you a Cubs fan?
    Its all about the sox, I have class. Next time you guys do a all day long event PM me, I work a lot of hours but I am interested.
    Thanks,
    Brendon

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by VerySlick View Post
    Thanks, for the ideas I will have to try to get these ships converted.

7eat51, I live in the northern suburbs of Chicago in volo.
    Brendon: I'm just west of you in McHenry. Any FLGS suggestions? Its a bit of a wasteland out here! (Closest decent store is in Grayslake!)

Oh yeah... Go Sox!

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

The Chicago American league baseball team just received corporate sponsorship from a Caribbean resort company -- now they're to be known as...

[sunglasses]

...SOX WITH SANDALS.

B)

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Chris: Keep up the good work!

Being a SF Giants fan for 30 years, I'm very pleased with the recent success.

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    The Chicago American league baseball team just received corporate sponsorship from a Caribbean resort company -- now they're to be known as...

[sunglasses]

...SOX WITH SANDALS.

B)
    That's better than what they've been known as,

... SOX WITH SCANDALS.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

... SOX WITH SCANDALS.
    Given what baseball's been like the past few years, the Black Sox don't even signify as a "scandal" any more. (And when the real story of the 'Roid Era comes out....)

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

... SOX WITH SCANDALS.
    Given what baseball's been like the past few years, the Black Sox don't even signify as a "scandal" any more. (And when the real story of the 'Roid Era comes out....)

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Roids?...You must be talking about George Brett.

http://www.nytimes.com/1981/03/01/sp...r-surgery.html
    Last edited by Coog; 04-18-2015 at 17:27.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Hey! Hey! I resemble that remark!! True Blue, Loyal Cubs Fan since 1964! Boy, do I have the scars to prove it!!

Whenever I'm asked to play a game, my answer is always; "Let's play TWO!"
    "War is the greatest game Man can play!" BG George B. McClellan

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

You Black Sox fans are all alike[/QUOTE]

Ed, I must confess - I thought of you while posting this.

As I have often said, there are two professional baseball teams in Chicago - the White Sox and whoever plays the Cubs.

You Black Sox fans are all alike
    Ed, I must confess - I thought of you while posting this.

As I have often said, there are two professional baseball teams in Chicago - the White Sox and whoever plays the Cubs.[/QUOTE]

Ha,Ha,Ha.

I'll have to give you the same old story, 'wait till next year' they're rebuilding. This time they really are.

Oh! The last time I checked, the Black Sox were 4 wins, 6 LOSES. The Cubs, 6 WINS, 4 loses.

Your Message

Title:

Q: What's the difference between the Chicago White Sox and the Chicago Cubs?

A: The last Sox World Series team picture isn't in black and white.

Did they have cameras in 08?

ya, I know they did.

And as the old saying goes, "that was then, this is now".

I didn't know people from Texas knew how to play baseball, the Rangers are proving that.

I didn't know people from Texas knew how to play baseball, the Rangers are proving that.
    I won't argue with that...I don't like the Rangers or a single player on that team.

Meanwhile back in Chicago:

A Sox fan liked to amuse himself by scaring every Cubs fan he saw strutting down the street in an obnoxious Cub shirt. He would swerve his van as if to hit them, then swerve back just missing them.

One day while driving along, he saw a priest walking along the road. He thought he would do a good deed, so he pulled over and asked the priest, "Where are you going, Father?"
    "I'm going to give Mass at St. Mary Magdalene, about two miles down the road," replied the priest. "Climb in, Father. I'll give you a lift!" The priest climbed into the passenger seat, and they continued down the road.

Suddenly, the driver saw a Cubs fan walking down the road, and he instinctively swerved as if to hit him. But, as usual, he swerved back onto the road just in time. Even though he was certain that he had missed the guy, he still heard a loud THUD. Not knowing where the noise came from, he glanced in his mirrors but still didn't see anything. He then remembered the priest, and he turned to the priest and said, "sorry Father, I almost hit that Cubs fan." "That's OK," replied the priest "I got him with the door."

I see things haven't changed much on the South side since I was a kid.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

I won't argue with that...I don't like the Rangers or a single player on that team.
    Makes me wish they didn't have draft rights on Russell Wilson.

Midshipman
    England

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

Im glad to see you Yanks are as partisan in your sports fandom as us Limeys.
    Still im always impressed with your mixed fan seating, in the UK this would cause another civil war!

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Clearly, it wasn't Father Dowling.

Midshipman
    England

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

Rumour has it that most priests over here would be too sauced to notice the car swerve anyways!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Popsical View Post
    Im glad to see you Yanks are as partisan in your sports fandom as us Limeys.
    Still im always impressed with your mixed fan seating, in the UK this would cause another civil war!
    I can tell that you've never been to a Oakland Raider game.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Or many basketball teams' games... I seem to recall the Chicago Bulls were once very bad about inspiring outright rioting.

Midshipman
    England

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

Trust me, in UK soccer the raiders thing is mild!!! Ive followed US football since 87 and i love it. Bengals fan for my sins
    From my avatar you will see im a Portsmouth FC fan, The shameful violence between my teams fans (a minority) and the scummers (southampton) (also a minority) is pretty normal for UK teams and their neighbours. Its better of late but still rears its ugly head. Mixed fans at any UK footie match of note is generations off at least.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

What's the old joke? "I went to a riot and a [hockey/footie] game broke out"?

Sounds like y'all need to import some Texas talent for handling that... "One riot, one Ranger."

Midshipman
    England

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

Yeah maybe. To be honest thugs of every society use excuses to fight. Its only a shame when innocents and their property are hurt.
    Maybe we should provide arenas for the dozy buggers to clobber each other in for our entertainment.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Yeah, keep it between willing combatants. Sort of like the old Roman gladiator fights, but voluntary.

Oh, wait, we already have that... it's called MMA/UFC. lol

Midshipman
    England

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

Except they dont allow beer bottles and knuckle dusters and spitting in the eyes!

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

A couple of years back I was getting on an early train from Edinburg to Glasgow and on that platform I saw more police than I'd seen in two weeks previous in Scotland. There were lots of people with orange scarves, and I heard that it was some big game of football (soccer) they were heading to.

Midshipman
    England

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

Oh yes indeed, Celtic versus Rangers is less a footie match, more a religious war lol.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

In other words... if I'm ever visiting my German fraulein friend and she invites me to a game, say "No Thanks" no matter what kind of sack-time fun she promises afterward. LOL

Midshipman
    England

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

German fans get less rucks. Way back when i was living in deutschland i was always stunned by the ammount of 6 foot plus police with SMGs at the games!

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Roids?...You must be talking about George Brett.
    No -- but it's no surprise, as Brett has always been an Inflammatory A**hole....

No, I'm referring to the connection between the '94 World Series, and the Steroid Era which followed.