Thread: AAR. Solo mission 1.....When the fog lifts.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Default AAR. Solo mission 1.....When the fog lifts.

As I am only playing the solo campaign intermittently I thought it better to write up my actions here rather than mess up the serious solo Forum.
    Bligh.

The adventures of James Roberts RN.

Fourth Lt. James Roberts steadied himself against the side of the Jib sail stay and screwing up his eyes for the hundredth time that morning strained to glimpse a sight of the ship that they had been perusing since early yesterday afternoon.

Name:  DSC_6408.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  71.2 KB

The early morning fog made it impossible to see any further than a few yards in front of the bowsprit. That the enemy ship was somewhere ahead of them in the mist was obvious, for every few minutes echoing through the eerie blanket of fog came the unmistakeable slap of flag halliards against a mast, and the creak of the running rigging as the fitful breeze disturbed the draw of the sails.
    Why the French Captain had made no effort to lose them overnight, Roberts could not fathom, other than the fact that his Frigate was making a beeline for the port of Marseilles, with a spymaster on board who had information on the British dispositions in the Mediterranean.
    his thoughts were curtailed by a whispered message from one of the Leading hands stationed out on the bowsprit end.
    "Fogs thinning at last sir."
    Roberts replied,
    "Thank you Jakes." and added."Mr Lawler please inform Captain Stewart"
    "Aye aye sir." came the whispered response from the Boatswain who hurried aft to tell the Captain.
    A few minutes later, ghostly figures started to appear on deck taking up their battle stations at the forward Carronades.
    The Boatswain re appeared, and tugged his forelock.
    "Cap'ns compliments sir, and would you please take up your position on the gun deck."
    As Roberts moved aft, the breeze suddenly picked up and blew a gap in the fog bank. Without warning a French Frigate appeared from the mist, not more than four cables length off the Starboard bow, and heading straight for the Peveril.

Name:  DSC_6409.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  87.4 KB

James heard Captain Stewart curse, as he realized the Frenchie had stolen the advantage of surprise.
    Putting up his helm to avoid a collision, he ordered the Port side battery to fire as they came to bear.
    The French Captain obviously had a similar idea as he also steered to Starboard.

James peered out through the gun port, as the ships drew abreast. Then the two batteries fired almost simultaneously.

Name:  DSC_6410.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  139.8 KB

Balls from the French Frigate ploughed through the gun deck overturning cannon and maiming seamen with the splinters from the planking and gun ports.
    James was blinded by the smoke, but could hear the Master gunner issuing orders to swab out reload and run out, as swiftly as the now depleted crew could do so.
    Having the wind gauge and the upper hand, the Frenchman now put his helm hard over, and came about, crossing the stern of the Peveril in an attempt to rake her. unfortunately for him the French gunners could not reload fast enough to carry out his wishes.

Name:  DSC_6411.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  132.0 KB

As both sips came about, HMS Peveril delivered another broadside, which was returned by the Frenchman. Firing high the French ship swept the Quarterdeck and also decimated the British crew and Marines on the Poop. The French also lost the men at the wheel in the exchange.

Name:  DSC_6412.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  153.8 KB

With no helm control the French Frigate swung into the wind and was taken aback.
    Grasping the opportunity Captain Stewart brought the Peveril about and headed for the French vessel which he could now see clearly through his glass as Le Galatea.

Name:  DSC_6413.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  108.1 KB

Regaining steerage before the British Frigate could stern rake her, Le Galatea came about and delivered a raking shot into the bows of the Peveril instead.

Name:  DSC_6414.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  130.1 KB

Name:  DSC_6415.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  134.0 KB

In this exchange Both Captain Stewart and the First Lt. Andrew Rother fell, along with the Master and both the steersmen.
    The ship fell off the wind and before it could gather way, Le Galatea completed its turn.
    Gathering way The third who had now taken control of the Peveril managed to force the Frenchman into a similar situation coming into the wind.

Name:  DSC_6416.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  133.4 KB

The French Captain was up to the situation, however, and letting his Frigate fall off the wind was able to fire another broadside into the Peveril.

Name:  DSC_6417.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  93.0 KB

This time the Third Lt. was the victim. Severely wounded he was carried down to the Surgeon on the Orlop deck, having passed word for Mr. Roberts who was the only remaining officer standing to take command.
    Arriving on what remained of the quarter deck and with the ship in Irons once more still taking fire from Le Galatea, Roberts ordered the ships carpenter to get repair below decks in hand, whilst he got the ship under way once more before the Frenchman could come alongside and board the badly mauled frigate.

Name:  DSC_6419.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  119.6 KB

As the Frenchman got in a last parting shot, Roberts headed the ship away from the coast and Marseilles.

Name:  DSC_6420.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  116.4 KB

Having won the action Le Galatea resumed its course and its mission to deliver the spymaster to France.
    Roberts was left to save the Frigate, and somehow get it back to Gibraltar with half its crew dead or injured and the pumps going full tilt to keep the sea from claiming the ship.

The Butcher's Bill.

A nasty mauling for HMS. Peveril.

Name:  DSC_6421.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  149.7 KB

A successful mission for Le Galatea.

Name:  DSC_6422.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  156.9 KB

Footnote.

Not the way I would have liked the outcome to work out, but after the first broadside from the French, I was under gunned and could never quite keep up.
    A steady drain on the crew made things critical, and to cut and run was the only way to save the Frigate. Whether the Lords of the Admiralty will see it that way remains to be discovered.
    Bligh.
    Last edited by Bligh; 04-05-2015 at 13:06.

Midshipman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Darell

I enjoyed this AAR very much thanks Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Glad you liked it Darell. It is my first essay into the world of sail AARs. As such I'm bound to make some technical gaffe sooner or later, so it was with great trepidation that I loosed off my first broadside. I just hope that I don't make too many navigational errors. I'm more used to shooting Fokkers than shooting the Sun.
    Bligh.

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

Good AAR, good pictures! well done that man!

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

It was a good read and an interesting fight.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Thank you for your imaginative AAR, Rob.

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

Under the solo rules Rob your officers are safe and sound. Only roll for wounds etc when half crew boxes are filled, rounding up, then for every crew casualty afterwards.

Neil

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Right Neil.
    I guess the Captain will survive his injuries then.
    I was rolling each time I drew a crew damage chit.
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Missed this one as well? Outcome was not what you wanted to be sure, but was a good AAR and retelling of the battle.
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Jim.
    I'm glad you enjoyed it, and thanks also for the rep points.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    Poland

Log Entries
    Name
    Andrzej

Great read, Rob:) and excellent AI performance, unfortunately!
    Your report makes me be "on tenterhooks" before the big sea battle our group of 8 sailors is going to fight this coming Saturday.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbomber View Post
    Great read, Rob:) and excellent AI performance, unfortunately!
    Your report makes me be "on tenterhooks" before the big sea battle our group of 8 sailors is going to fight this coming Saturday.
    I looked at that briefly Andy, and think the biggest danger is letting the AIs pull that crescent shape on you, where they can all pour multiple broadsides into the foremost ship.
    Avoid that situation at all costs.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    Poland

Log Entries
    Name
    Andrzej

Yes, Sir. A green sailor like me needs some more lessons of the seawar, even on a table . Anyway the game itself and all the components make for a great gaming enjoyment.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbomber View Post
    Yes, Sir. A green sailor like me needs some more lessons of the seawar, even on a table . Anyway the game itself and all the components make for a great gaming enjoyment.
    I'm not so darned sure of things myself Andy.
    I know what to avoid, but not necessarily how to avoid it.
    Rob.

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

Roster sheet updated Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Neil.
    I have only just come back to this AAR to check some facts.
    Rob.