Thread: Middleham Castle in Yorkshire. 1/1200

Default Middleham Castle in Yorkshire. 1/1200

Hello,
    I want to share with you my latest work. This is the Middleham Castle in Yorkshire. Langton Castle.
    Hope you like it.
    A greeting,
    Julian.
    Name:  20150322_233412.jpg
Views: 1323
Size:  164.4 KB

Name:  20150322_233423.jpg
Views: 1082
Size:  161.7 KB

Name:  20150322_233453.jpg
Views: 1032
Size:  185.2 KB

Name:  20150322_233516.jpg
Views: 1080
Size:  185.3 KB

Name:  20150322_233537.jpg
Views: 1053
Size:  155.5 KB

Name:  20150322_233622.jpg
Views: 1041
Size:  192.9 KB

Name:  20150322_233646.jpg
Views: 1011
Size:  176.1 KB

Name:  20150322_233701.jpg
Views: 1014
Size:  161.1 KB

Name:  20150322_233719.jpg
Views: 1053
Size:  169.6 KB

Name:  20150322_233739.jpg
Views: 1012
Size:  163.9 KB

Name:  20150322_233801.jpg
Views: 971
Size:  156.7 KB

Name:  20150322_233818.jpg
Views: 1025
Size:  146.0 KB

Name:  20150322_233831.jpg
Views: 998
Size:  134.3 KB

Name:  20150322_233900.jpg
Views: 961
Size:  193.3 KB

Name:  20150322_233916.jpg
Views: 1009
Size:  124.1 KB

Name:  20150322_234000.jpg
Views: 995
Size:  145.2 KB

Name:  20150322_234024.jpg
Views: 1002
Size:  199.4 KB

In memory of King Richard III!!!

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Well. I love it. I mean who couldn't. It is really masterful. I love seeing your creations.

One question, how do you do your basic earth? I really like the look of the texture and shading. I try on my models, but it never seems to turn out as nice.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

That is a great looking model, Julian!

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Brad

Default Middleham Castle in Yorkshire. 1/1200

Nice work Julian, particularly your land surface, beautiful work.

I bought one from Rod not knowing which castle it is and stuck it on a headland. How could one not use that as a "fort."

However, I created a larger entrance in a centre turret facing down the hill, mainly because the others are all at the top of cliffs, and none of them looked really big enough for large carriages to enter.

Still working on it, but don't hold your breath, I'm "working" on a lot of stuff! Incidentally, all my model work is based on the 3' rule!!! LOL

Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by Tiberius View Post
    Well. I love it. I mean who couldn't. It is really masterful. I love seeing your creations.

One question, how do you do your basic earth? I really like the look of the texture and shading. I try on my models, but it never seems to turn out as nice.
    I use sand beach, then paint with the following color scheme:

1) coat of black primer.
    2) Wash with burnt brown paint (72045) Game Color o similar. (For washing you have to dilute the brown paint with some water to be introduced in all the gaps).
    3) Allow to dry.
    4) Painting with burnt brown (72,045) Game Color or similar.
    5) Bonewhite dry brush. (72,034) Game Color or similar.
    6) Dry Brush with Tau Light Citadel or similar color.

7) Put the lawn modeling. I use the brand Plast Craft Games.
    To put the lawn you have to use instant glue (superglue or similar) no glue. Put glue on the part you want to cover and immediately put grass up, turn and shake in the direction down for grass remain stiff.

8) the parties that don't have lawn can be illuminated with dry brush using bonewhite (72,034) Game Color or similar.

Note: if you want you can mix different textures,sand beach and small pebbles.

I hope it help you.

Your castle is also nice, the cliffs too.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Thanks Julian, that does help a lot! I will give it a shot. I never thought of using superglue for the grass and then turning it upside down so it dries vertical, that's brilliant!

One point of clarification, when you say, "sand beach," does that just mean sand I find on the beach, or is that some specific product? And if it is just sand from the beach, do you just mix it with some sort of glue and let it dry?

Thank you very much!

Beach sand, you heard right. To paste the beach sand used white glue. You let it dry and then remove the excess with a brush.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Very nice rendition of Middleham Julian.
    There was not so much of it when I was last there, but I can see my tent on your model.
    Great rendition.
    Could not find any pictures of us at Middleham but here is one of the back of my Livery Coat for the Gloucester Household.

Name:  Sun In Splen.jpg
Views: 815
Size:  50.9 KB
    Bligh.
    Last edited by Bligh; 03-23-2015 at 11:38.

The White Rose... the badge of house of York, isn't it? England has a very interesting history

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoat View Post
    The White Rose... the badge of house of York, isn't it? England has a very interesting history
    That is quite correct, emblazoned upon the Sun in Splendour, which was taken after the battle of Mortimer's Cross as the Badge of the House of York, due to a ghostly appearance of two Suns in the sky just before the battle started.
    Richard the Third's Household badge was a White boar worn as a badge on the front of his Livery, or if a civilian retainer usually as a metal badge worn on his hat or doublet.
    Bligh.

nice story!

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Outlaw View Post
    Incidentally, all my model work is based on the 3' rule!!! LOL
    For the uninitiated, this means...?

Thanks Julian, that does help a lot! I will give it a shot. I never thought of using superglue for the grass and then turning it upside down so it dries vertical, that's brilliant!
    You can also use something like a plastic comb or similar that conducts static electricity - rub it heaps on your polyester pants or whatever to charge with static electricity then hold it just above the grass - it'll make the grass stand up on it's own - that's actually why it's called 'static grass' because it'll conduct static electricity - the idea is you sprinkle it on your glued covered area then apply static electricity to it and it stands up like hair...

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Mycenius View Post
    You can also use something like a plastic comb or similar that conducts static electricity - rub it heaps on your polyester pants or whatever to charge with static electricity then hold it just above the grass - it'll make the grass stand up on it's own - that's actually why it's called 'static grass' because it'll conduct static electricity - the idea is you sprinkle it on your glued covered area then apply static electricity to it and it stands up like hair...

My world just got rocked. I honestly never knew what the "static" had to do with anything.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Here is a picture of Middleham Castle nowadays.
    Name:  Middleham Castle.jpg
Views: 1515
Size:  29.0 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

My world just got rocked. I honestly never knew what the "static" had to do with anything.
    It was a surprise to me as well Eric. I thought that the static held it down to the model until you sprayed your varnish on.
    We all live and learn.
    Bligh.

You may be right Rob but that's what I have always been told is the reason it's called static grass and why the strands are fairly long (if it was designed to be like 'scatter' and just sprinkle don flat they'd be shorter)...

I must confess when ever I have actually tried the static thing I've always found it a little tricky to do - but not impossible!

In the case of the 1/1200 scale I don't use this method because the length of static grass is 5 or 6 mm and I don't want it long. So I leave a little inclined.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Here is a picture of Middleham Castle nowadays.
    Name:  Middleham Castle.jpg
Views: 1515
Size:  29.0 KB
    great photo!
    it is a pitty the condition of the castle

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

You may be right Rob but that's what I have always been told is the reason it's called static grass and why the strands are fairly long (if it was designed to be like 'scatter' and just sprinkle don flat they'd be shorter)...

I must confess when ever I have actually tried the static thing I've always found it a little tricky to do - but not impossible!
    No! I'm sure you are right John. It makes much more sense than my idea anyway.
    Rob.