Thread: HMS Bellona/Goliath vs. HMS Zealous/Superb Model

Default HMS Bellona/Goliath vs. HMS Zealous/Superb Model

Okay Chaps - if you had to choose between these 2 models (not the stats or anything - just which model is the nicer colour scheme, etc) which of these 2 would you prefer from aesthetic perspective... The original HMS Bellona/Goliath or the newer HMS Zealous/Superb repaint?

Name:  800x600-sails_of_glory-SGN104D.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  86.3 KB
    HMS Bellona/Goliath

Name:  800x600-sails_of_glory-SGN104C.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  90.6 KB
    HMS Zealous/Superb

Especially interested in comments from anyone who's actually seen both in person (or owns both)...

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I own both models. HMS Bellona/ Goliath is not 'sulphur yellow' on the hull with bright orange boats but 'light tan' with 'brick red' boats. It also has a white 'St George ensign' not a red one and the sails have a slight greyness to them. There is less blue on the stern (the windows are blue with a tan surround although the blue rear rail is still there) and there is a small red flash on the sides below the stern windows. HMS Zealous/ Superb is a slightly darker shade of tan, again with 'brick red boats' and a red ensign. The sails are pure white.

I prefer the slightly darker colouring of HMS Zealous/ Superb myself. I do not like the bright yellow masts on both ships. They need to look more like wood.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I also have them both. I agree on preferring Zealous to Bellona on the painting basis, but the picture above is of a preview ship easily recognized by the red firing arcs. It's not that bad in real life as on that picture.

That said I have two Bellona and only one Zealous, but I will probably get more of Zealous.

Thanks David & Jonas - that's great to know - yes I had noticed one of the other vessels I purchased was not the 'bright' colouring of the product photos on the shop websites - so that was a second reason for asking the question above. To be honest I'll probably end up with at least 1 of each but right now as I start out they are the two third rate models I don't yet have for my RN fleet (I have one each of all 3 available French 3rd Rates, but only 2 of the 4 RN ones)...

P.S. Would a Gallery of actual photos of the production models be a good idea somewhere here?

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Name:  colors.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  89.3 KB
    Ships are: HMS Bellona, original hull; HMS Zealous, untouched; HMS Defence, rebuilt but original color on sides; HMS Bellona, painted a black line and touched up the nettings.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

(I like the idea of setting up a picture gallery of existing ships.
    As I have only just started putting my fleet together, only having the Starter set previous to this year, I would like to see what is available other than just what I can find on Anchorage store.
    Bligh.

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    Name:  colors.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  89.3 KB
    Ships are: HMS Bellona, original hull; HMS Zealous, untouched; HMS Defence, rebuilt but original color on sides; HMS Bellona, painted a black line and touched up the nettings.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

On the strength of this I just ordered the Bellona.
    Bligh.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    On the strength of this I just ordered the Bellona.
    Bligh.
    Yes - they do look much nicer in person from the images above than the horrid bright yellow (sulphur yellow?) pre-production images used for them on all the shop websites and Ares homepage Rob - I've held-off buying Bellona until now myself because of that... That's a bit lazy/naughty by Ares not updating their product catalogue to a good model image from the production series.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Photo, by the way was taken with iPhone 6+ built in camera with natural light from a window.

I think the sails look a little more white than I find them naturally, but the Bellona's color is more of a pale yellow than the strong yellow of the Bellerophon.

Cool... I have a semi-reasonable light box for photographing my wargaming gear so if really organised could take a series of pics (with my Fuji X-E2) of all the vessels against white or blue with fairly neutral soft light, etc...

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

The actual color used by the RN was called "Yellow Ochre", which is a dark yellow with some brown tinged in, so it was a very earthy tone especially as it faded!
    "War is the greatest game Man can play!" BG George B. McClellan

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Getting my Fleets in order, I just realized that The Redoutable and the Billy Ruffian were only obtainable in the Kick Starter, so my Victory (when it arrives) will be unable to meet the French ship in battle.
    Bligh.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Unless you repaint some red on another Téméraire...

Regarding the yellow... The famous baby puke yellow, from a period source...
    Last edited by TexaS; 03-15-2015 at 03:52.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    Unless you repaint some red on another Téméraire...

Regarding the yellow... The famous baby puke yellow, from a period source...
    Might be a chance at that if I can get a look at Chris's model and cards.
    Thanks.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by John Paul View Post
    The actual color used by the RN was called "Yellow Ochre", which is a dark yellow with some brown tinged in, so it was a very earthy tone especially as it faded!
    Closer to the Zealous model IMO. I have taken to repainting all the Wave 1 masts because they are all a rather bright yellow. For the Wave 2 ships in particular the Hebe class the masts were painted a more brownish color.