Thread: Use of Card Sleeves?

Default Use of Card Sleeves?

Greeting Crewmates,

How many people are using sleeves for their cards - and do you find it causes any issues when moving the ships with the manoeuvre cards or when placing planned manoeuvre cards in the ship board slots?

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I suppose that sleeves do cause a marginal increase in speed. However, the biggest problem I find is that they greatly increase the amount of storage space needed.

I guess everything has it's price... Right?

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I use sleeves. One reason, I do not have to worry about the cards being damaged by players due to food and drink, which enables me to create a more relaxed atmosphere. Some gamers are not too aware, shall we say, and I don't want to be concerned about that during game time. Another reason is that Ares does not sell individual decks, so I want my SoG and WoG decks to last as long as possible; replacements can be hard to come by.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I also sleeve all my cards. The main problem is the decks increase in size as noted by David.
    I have not found the sleeved cards not exactly fitting the slots a problem to be honest, although I have found the cards tend to stick together a bit , may be the sleeves used?
    However the protection offered far out ways these minor points

Thanks Eric & Chris - that's along my line of thinking - and yeah Chris it'll be the type of sleeves you've used...

The slightly lower cost type ones (Mayday brand for example - I think) I have been led to believe are more prone to seperating at the seams or such, BUT are a lot less 'tacky' so slide against each other more freely... Some of the heavier duty sleeves last longer but often have more matt finishes that tend to grip when rubbed together... I've got about 4 brands of sleeves (Mayday, FFG, Dragon, and another) but haven't used enough of them regularly to assess the differences (as half of them are stockpiles waiting for more active WoG & SoG gaming to require their use)...

Midshipman
    New Zealand

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Where did you obtain yours from John?
    Visit "The Wargames Room":
    http://thewargamesroom.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by TWR View Post
    Where did you obtain yours from John?
    About 3-4 sources Keith - but there is a good guy down in Otago (Dunedin) who is on TradeMe - will send you details offline!

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

It's Mayday games sleeves I use for SGN

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Duff View Post
    It's Mayday games sleeves I use for SGN

Yep - from what I've seen they seem the popular choice (much as the FFG ones were for WoW - at least originally)...

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

I chose to sleeve all my cards as well, particularly after a game I ran for my group early on after acquiring SoG one of the players abruptly tipped over his bottle of dark lager! A couple of maneuver cards were caught in the wave, but fortunately they were saved from any lasting damage. However, the play mat wasn't so lucky, as it ended up with a somewhat brownish stain before we could soak up the spill. Fortunately the offending player replaced the mat on the spot to avoid punishment under the Articles of War!!!
    "War is the greatest game Man can play!" BG George B. McClellan

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by John Paul View Post
    I chose to sleeve all my cards as well, particularly after a game I ran for my group early on after acquiring SoG one of the players abruptly tipped over his bottle of dark lager! A couple of maneuver cards were caught in the wave, but fortunately they were saved from any lasting damage. However, the play mat wasn't so lucky, as it ended up with a somewhat brownish stain before we could soak up the spill. Fortunately the offending player replaced the mat on the spot to avoid punishment under the Articles of War!!!
    Indeed, one doesn't need the Sargasso Sea in the middle of their nice Ares blue ocean. That's scary story stuff for sure.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I started asking folks to keep drinks on a separate table or on the floor. There can be a lot of movement around the table and much leaning over to maneuver pieces in the middle, not to mention bumping the table. I have yet to have anyone complain. I am not sure how other games are, but SoG and WoG players seem to be a decent and friendly bunch; I enjoy running the games because the players are enjoyable.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Indeed, one doesn't need the Sargasso Sea in the middle of their nice Ares blue ocean. That's scary story stuff for sure.
    Fortunately our group has been together for many, many years so such accidents are very rare, but if one does occur amends are quickly made, and damage quickly repaired or replaced on the spot. Later on the accidents make for some memorable tales to be recalled, and retold with much laughter!

Now strangers, well that would be a different story for sure!!
    "War is the greatest game Man can play!" BG George B. McClellan