Thread: Requesting Permission To Come Aboard!

Default Requesting Permission To Come Aboard!

Sails Ahoy all,

Greetings - just signed up - had my SoG starter set for a little bit (and a few extra ships) - still to have a game though!

Looking forward to getting in some regular (and hopefully fun) Napoleonic Naval gaming - have dabbled in many rules sets in the past (Langton, Trafalgar, etc) on both 1/2400th and 1/1200th scales - but hoping SoG will be the one with the right amount of feel - but fun and fast play...

I hate to admit it, but my favourite 'Age of Sail' gaming was over 20 years ago with Warhammer's "Man O War" (Bretonnians vs. Imperials) - not really Age of Sail but the games were fun... Hoping SoG is gonna recreate that feel!

Also on the lookout for any members in my area (Auckland, NZ) that might be up for (training) game...?

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Welcome aboard, John.

Please check out our solo campaign and rules. You are more than welcome to join: http://sailsofglory.org/forumdisplay...-Solo-Campaign
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

A new avatar, I see.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Welcome aboard John!

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Welcome aboard, John.

Please check out our solo campaign and rules. You are more than welcome to join: http://sailsofglory.org/forumdisplay...-Solo-Campaign
    Thanks Eric! Will do.

A new avatar, I see.
    Yes - I think Admiral Alexander Hood is a bit more appropriate than a Mycenaean Greek Armoured Chariot Warrior for this establishment - and HMS Royal George is my nominal Royal Navy flagship (at least until Victory arrives). I have HMS Queen Charlotte - but using Lord Howe as my avatar might have been being a bit 'self important'!

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

If you decide to join the actual campaign, let me know and I will help you set up a ship captain roster.

The AI mechanism is pretty good. Several of us lost the first scenario. I will be playing the second scenario within the next few days, so fingers are crossed.

I don't know, a Mycenaean Greek Armoured Chariot Warrior could be needed from time to time.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Greetings John. Welcome to the Anchorage!

If you decide to join the actual campaign, let me know and I will help you set up a ship captain roster.

The AI mechanism is pretty good. Several of us lost the first scenario. I will be playing the second scenario within the next few days, so fingers are crossed.
    OK Cool - will look at it tonight or tomorrow and advise!

Quote Originally Posted by Coog View Post
    Welcome aboard John!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Greetings John. Welcome to the Anchorage!
    Thanks Guys!

Welcome from Arizona, John. Much to see and learn here.

PS Give (Pick a Date) a shot.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Welcome from the other side of the world, Sweden!

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Welcome to the Anchorage, John, from here near Norwich in the U.K..

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Welcome aboard John.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    Welcome from Arizona, John. Much to see and learn here.
    Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    Welcome from the other side of the world, Sweden!
    Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Welcome to the Anchorage, John, from here near Norwich in the U.K..
    Quote Originally Posted by Cmmdre View Post
    Welcome aboard John.
    Thanks You Gents!
    Hoping to rustle up a few more Aotearoans eventually!

Ordinary Seaman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Juan

Welcome aboard John! Greetings from other island.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steven

Cheers !!! Welcome Aboard. There is a lot of knowledge here at the Anchorage.

Quote Originally Posted by Titolo View Post
    Welcome aboard John! Greetings from other island.
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki 13 View Post
    Cheers !!! Welcome Aboard. There is a lot of knowledge here at the Anchorage.
    Thanks You Sirs.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Welcome John, from Bristol UK

Able Seaman
    Poland

Log Entries
    Name
    Jan

Welcome Mycenius!

I have also had a brief encounter with Man'O'war, although the game was effectively dead when I first run into it about 15 years ago :) However, I tried to make my group play Batlefleet Gothis when GW discontinued the franchise and gave the rules for free. The thing is, I still have a feeling that Games Workshop, with their fair amount of stupid and abstract rules, had made moving the ship around the table, it's inertia, and special rules (like fire at will, brace for impact, or full ahead) give you the air of commanding a big and nasty sailing ship. I somewhat miss this from SGN rules, which, fun as they are, to me play a wee bit like WOG planes :) In BFG It would take your whole table surface to turn a cruiser ship (15 degrees a turn), and what a joy it was to manouver whole fleets and squadrons ;)

Glad to have you onboard!

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Duff View Post
    Welcome John, from Bristol UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Welcome Mycenius! Glad to have you onboard!
    Thanks Chris & Jan!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    I have also had a brief encounter with Man'O'war, although the game was effectively dead when I first run into it about 15 years ago :) However, I tried to make my group play Batlefleet Gothis when GW discontinued the franchise and gave the rules for free. The thing is, I still have a feeling that Games Workshop, with their fair amount of stupid and abstract rules, had made moving the ship around the table, it's inertia, and special rules (like fire at will, brace for impact, or full ahead) give you the air of commanding a big and nasty sailing ship. I somewhat miss this from SGN rules, which, fun as they are, to me play a wee bit like WOG planes :) In BFG It would take your whole table surface to turn a cruiser ship (15 degrees a turn), and what a joy it was to manouver whole fleets and squadrons ;)
    Indeed - We played MOW around 1991-1995 but were losing interest by the end... (for me because there was not enough pseudo-historical content, e.g. more age of sail and galley type ships & fleets). The sea monsters were cool though!

Only dabbled in Battlefleet Gothic (late 1980's IIRC) - but after having played a bit of the old Star Fleet Battles (the 1980's rules with the energy allocations and such) lost interest in BFG. Switched to Full Thrust (GZG) in mid-1990's and then also the Babylon 5 and Call to Arms games. Naval-wise played a bit of 1/600 WW2 Coastal (various rules) which had similar effects to what you describe - took half or more of a 4' wide table to turn a freighter or destroyer 180ş! General Quarters (both WW1 & WW2) has/had that feel a little but not so noticeable with 1/4800th models (or 1/3000th) - as I have now switched to War At Sea in larger 1/2400th for my sporadic WW2 Naval it does have a much more simplistic feel to movement and such...

Bonjour, John.

Welcome on board.

Quote Originally Posted by Comte de Brueys View Post
    Bonjour, John.

Welcome on board.
    Thank You Sven!

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Welcome aboard, John! Man-O-War was one great game that GW managed to screw up without much effort! The re-done reprint I believe has turned out to be a total flop!!
    "War is the greatest game Man can play!" BG George B. McClellan

Quote Originally Posted by John Paul View Post
    Welcome aboard, John! Man-O-War was one great game that GW managed to screw up without much effort! The re-done reprint I believe has turned out to be a total flop!!
    Thank You Paul!

Wouldn't surprise me - ironically it's the one and only GW miniatures game I've ever liked or enjoyed... I always wanted to try and do a homemade genuine Age of Sail variant but never got around to it - Hoping SGN may be something akin to that in spirit...

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

My group used to play Man-O-War fairly regularly several years ago. One of the guys had a Chaos fleet that was painted beyond belief!! It almost made one feel good about getting beat by it!!!

After we stopped playing it so often I eventually ended up selling off my Imperial Fleet, and have regretted it immensely ever since!!!

SoG has helped to fill that void and rekindled my love of sailing and fighting on the high seas!!!
    "War is the greatest game Man can play!" BG George B. McClellan

Quote Originally Posted by John Paul View Post
    SoG has helped to fill that void and rekindled my love of sailing and fighting on the high seas!!!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Well John, as I have been absent on a long mission I only just got to read my mail, and so to welcome you, do join me in the Wardroom for a tot or three.
    Bligh.

Midshipman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Darell

Welcome from Alberta