Thread: Statistics spreadsheet updated for Wave1 reprint

Default Statistics spreadsheet updated for Wave1 reprint

I was hoping I'd have V&C stats to put in too, but I will refresh it again when they finally turn up...

http://sailsofglory.org/downloads.php?do=file&id=31

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by fredmiracle View Post
    I was hoping I'd have V&C stats to put in too, but I will refresh it again when they finally turn up...

http://sailsofglory.org/downloads.php?do=file&id=31
    Thank you!

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Very helpful, indeed. Thank you.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I have experienced a problem trying to download this spreadsheet because apparently I have an "invalid security token". Has anyone else experienced this, please?

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    I have experienced a problem trying to download this spreadsheet because apparently I have an "invalid security token". Has anyone else experienced this, please?
    Not I.

There are some I can't open but, that's not one of them.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    I'll ask Keith about this. Sometimes, things are a matter of clearing cache/cookies.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Excellent!

A related question - spreadsheet lines 42 & 43 (Dryade and HMS Sybille) - with the points system how come HMS Sybille is rated 2 points less than Dryade (85 vs. 87) when the British vessel is superior (significantly better gunnery stats and everything else identical)? I haven't looked at the proposed points system at all but just picked that up in passing when perusing the spreadsheet...

Quote Originally Posted by Mycenius View Post
    Excellent!

A related question - spreadsheet lines 42 & 43 (Dryade and HMS Sybille) - with the points system how come HMS Sybille is rated 2 points less than Dryade (85 vs. 87) when the British vessel is superior (significantly better gunnery stats and everything else identical)? I haven't looked at the proposed points system at all but just picked that up in passing when perusing the spreadsheet...
    Yes Ares did make a few mistakes. Here were some thoughts I had in a PM a while back:

Quote Originally Posted by fredmiracle
    Regarding the official SGN costing:

There are two head-slapping mistakes--HMS Queen Charlotte and HMS Sybille. They are off by a big margin, perhaps 10 points or so, and presumably represent typos.

Then there are a couple more ships which are "wrong," but within fairly small margins.
    - Imperial is costed two points higher than Orient, despite having one less gunnery factor, and one more musketry factor. Probably Imperial should be either 206 or 207
    - HMS Amelia is clearly a few points too high, since it should come in at or below Dryade, probably 86

Beyond those, as far as I can see, the ships seem to be sequenced correctly by cost within each class, so it becomes more a question of judgement calls, rather than clear-cut error. One can quibble over whether a small difference in stats should merit a difference in cost (Bellerophon and Bellona, for instance, at the same cost despite a couple of differences in musketry). But the variance shouldn't be be more than a point or possibly two.

Yes Ares did make a few mistakes. Here were some thoughts I had in a PM a while back:

Regarding the official SGN costing:

There are two head-slapping mistakes--HMS Queen Charlotte and HMS Sybille. They are off by a big margin, perhaps 10 points or so, and presumably represent typos.

Then there are a couple more ships which are "wrong," but within fairly small margins.
    - Imperial is costed two points higher than Orient, despite having one less gunnery factor, and one more musketry factor. Probably Imperial should be either 206 or 207
    - HMS Amelia is clearly a few points too high, since it should come in at or below Dryade, probably 86

Beyond those, as far as I can see, the ships seem to be sequenced correctly by cost within each class, so it becomes more a question of judgement calls, rather than clear-cut error. One can quibble over whether a small difference in stats should merit a difference in cost (Bellerophon and Bellona, for instance, at the same cost despite a couple of differences in musketry). But the variance shouldn't be be more than a point or possibly two.
    Cheers Fred!

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Fred, have you written to Andrea or Roberto about the point discrepancies, or would you like me to Get The Clue-Bat?

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Fred, have you written to Andrea or Roberto about the point discrepancies, or would you like me to Get The Clue-Bat?
    I thought about posting something on BGG (which they seem to read) but I never got around to it. It would make sense for you to pass along the word directly, especially if they are about to put out an update. I don't suppose they need to be battered by it, but perhaps a friendly nudge will be in order

Able Seaman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Susan

The spreadsheet has external links to another file that I don't have. Where do I find it?

Quote Originally Posted by Amara View Post
    The spreadsheet has external links to another file that I don't have. Where do I find it?
    Is that using openoffice? Sadly it's formulas aren't compatible with xl so I've seen it generate that error...