Thread: Ahoy from Poland

Able Seaman
    Poland

Log Entries
    Name
    Jan

Default Ahoy from Poland

Hi there folks!

I have just joined the forum after browsing it for about a week (and several failed attempts to sign-up, where I have been dejected as spammer... I don't know why, but when I changed my desired login from Jason to Jason.J, the algorithm allowed me in. A question to admin - is it possible to change the displayed name?).

I am an enthusiast of sea and sailing ships since my early childhood, and I have been a war and miniature gamer for about 15 years. Over the years I've picked up various games that promised a naval experience (mainly GW like man'o'war, BF Gothic and stuff, but considered where I live, I never had a slight chance of collecting and playing age-of-sail miniatures with anyone). Sails of Glory is a game changer for me, because of simple rules and almost board-game appearance, I can enlist a score of my board-game and roleplaying friends for some sailing tabletop fun. Currently, after around two dozen skirmishes, I am in love with SoG and looking forward to having even more fun with it.

On the other hand, I am a graphic artist and illustrator, working in computer games as well as pen and paper games industry. I have already created some custom terrain tiles for SoG that I've put on Boardgamegeek servers, but with all the experience in gaming I am planning on making more stuff for Sails.

I hope to learn a lot a have a ton of fun here. Glad to be here :) Ahoy!

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Welcome aboard, Jan.

When you have a chance, check out our recently launched solo campaign: http://sailsofglory.org/forumdisplay...-Solo-Campaign

Let me know what you prefer for a displayed username, and I will change it accordingly.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Welcome from Arizona, Jan from my favorite European country (being 100%Polish I might be a little prejudice).

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Welcome aboard the Anchorage!

Welcome aboard Jan!

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Welcome Jan,
    I also have played GW man o War, was a big fan of BFG, play a lot of WGF and now SGN.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Welcome to the Anchorage, Jan.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Welcome Jan! Glad to hear you've found some gamers to convert to more historical miniature gaming!

Able Seaman
    Poland

Log Entries
    Name
    Jan

Thank you all for such a warm welcome.

Chris, I would still gladly play some BFG, but my fleets gather dust foe several years now - I like the rules a lot, They have a great feeling for inertia and accumulation of battle-debris, but I've never found any players to play more than several games. I have recently acquired warhammer historical's rules for Napoleonics - the Trafalgar game. They seem much more in-depth simulation-wise than SGN, (a ton of different ships down to schooners and cutters, and nice ship logs with check boxes and damage distributed to masts and decks). I am looking forward to play-testing these rules with SGN miniatures.

Jonas, I am all about historical gaming nowadays, but it comes down to having several painted armies each from periods of antiquity, pike-and-shot era, 2nd World War, as well as both instalments of WG, but noone to play with :D SGN, like I've said, is a gamechanger.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

My BFG fleets are the same Jan, in their cases doing nothing.
    I am lucky we have a group where I live to play SGN and WGF, but soon we start the convention cut which from Feb to Nov is approx one weekend a month I'll be attending a show/ convention to play all three Glory games so I cant complain

meeplewizard

Welcome Jason. Happy gaming to you.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Welcome aboard Jan.

Bonjour Jan.

Welcome on board.

Welcome Jan!

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Welcome aboard, Jan!! Ah, the good ol' fun days of playing Man-O-War a fantastic game that GW managed to kill off and bury long before it's time thinking they could improve on it!!!
    "War is the greatest game Man can play!" BG George B. McClellan

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

'Tis yet another of me shipmates has joined since I slipped me cable last year, so let me welcome you to the Anchorage Jan with a tot out of me flask.
    Bligh.

Midshipman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Darell

Welcome from Alberta