Thread: Fast and Cheap Ship Base

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Kenneth

Default Fast and Cheap Ship Base

Since I built the Shapeways Niagra, I wanted to create a base for it that looked like the SOG bases instead of having to "borrow" a base from one of my other ships when I wanted to sail her. So, I looked around for ship bases that were 2" x 3" rectangular plastic bases for miniatures. There aren't any. But there are 50mm x 75mm bases, and they're pretty cheap.

I found these on eBay: WARHAMMER BITS - WARRIORS OF CHAOS SKULLCRUSHERS - BASES 3x (50mm x 75mm) for about $7.50 shipped
    Name:  ship base09.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  181.6 KB
    These are the right size but they taper inward to the top so that the top is the exact same size as the plastic window and ship card. So, what I did was flip one over and the bottom of the base actually perfectly fits the window and ship card, once you cut off the two circular bits in the middle. They also were nice enough to put an indention smack dab in the middle so I could drill a hole just big enough to fit the peg on the bottom of the ships.

Now, this base is about half the height of the SOG bases, so what I did was glue two of the bases back to back and drilled a hole through the middle of them. This pic shows the two bases together.
    Name:  ship base11.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  183.0 KB

This pic shows where the two circular bits I cut off with an X-Acto. the two support strips running left and right are recessed just enough to accommodate a clear window and ship card.
    Name:  ship base07.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  176.7 KB

The next thing to do was find a piece of clear plastic I could cut to size using a cutting board. The clear plastic covering every piece of crap hanging from a hook in Walmart works perfect, and you can cut it with scissors if you don't have a cutting board.

Put them all together and violá:
    Name:  ship base06.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  197.2 KB
    Name:  ship base05.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  160.5 KB
    Name:  ship base02.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  168.8 KB
    Last edited by Kentop; 01-14-2015 at 22:00. Reason: added a pic

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Very clever and it looks great!

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Kenneth

Ebay has ten bases for 9.99 with free shipping: Table Board Games Monster Cavalry Base 50mm x 75mm x 10 PCS. They don't have the center indention, but that's easily done anyway.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Spiffing idea Kenneth.
    Bligh.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK