Thread: Get ready to make sail for "The Glorious First of June, 1794"

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Default Get ready to make sail for "The Glorious First of June, 1794"

We are about to embark on the greatest Sails of Glory game session yet! Come join us in making history by participating in “The Largest Historical and Most Ships in One Game Record-breaking Event!” at Enfilade! 2015.

We will be refighting one of the greatest and largest sailing battles of history, “The Glorious First of June, 1794”; all 71 ships! We are scheduled to do battle on Sunday from 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM. For those who want to participate but have no experience with the rules, we will also be running a “Sails of Glory” training session sometime on Saturday. Due to size of game, basic rules will primarily be used (plus sail settings) as well as some scenario specific modifications.

Enfilade! 2015 will be held on May 22-24, 2014 (Memorial Day weekend) at the Red Lion Hotel Olympia in Olympia, WA.

Enfilade! is the largest convention devoted to historical miniature gaming west of the Mississippi and sponsored by the Northwest Historical Miniatures Gaming Society ( NHMGS.) Come join us for three great days of gaming - Friday through Sunday. For registration go to http://www.nhmgs.org/index.html (site not yet active for registration but should be soon!)

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Wozer!! That's going to be one impressive event!!

Putting this announcement up on Board Game Geek's SoG page was a great idea!
    Last edited by Nightmoss; 12-01-2014 at 09:07. Reason: More Information

Look forward to the photos of the event, how are you planning on handling that many ships? Are there going to be squadron rules of some sort or is it a free for all?

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Dave, refresh my memory--did I every send you the files on GFoJ?

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Looks like I got a few folks attention with the "official" announcement. So, first, to answer a few questions.

Diamondback - Yes I did get the stats and thank you. As huge as this thing is, I wasn't as close as I would have liked for the model ships. But I did my best to have the game ships statistics close to what they should be. Like the Nile scenario, I am using one of the GHQ MicroNauts 74s to portray the HMS Charon (originally a 50 gun ship.) It's pretty close in scale. All the rest are Sails of Glory ships. We have pulled together ships from three members of our gaming group at Gabi's.

Berthier – I’m not yet insane enough to try to handle this thing by myself. I’m very fortunate in having good friends that have volunteered to help. Several of those that played the Nile scenario will be squadron commanders/area controllers. The way the actual battle played out, squadron faces squadron. This will allow, for example, the French and British Van Squadron commanders to control the game in their area and I and my deputy will arbitrate any problems/clarifications as well as maintain a decent gaming tempo. We are all good friends and I don’t expect there to be much in coordination problems. The fleet and squadron commanders will be giving general orders but not playing the game for the other players. The squadron versus squadron structure should also assist in having the game to proceed rather quickly. There will be some scenario/squadron specific rules for the game, but I don’t want to go into that at this point.

Nightmoss – You’re right; this will be one doozy of an event! We will be using 24 X 6 feet of table space just for the initial set up. We’ve play tested a way to do a running gun battle that works well. Again, I’ll save explaining that for after the event. Although we will have play tested all aspects of the scenario, we will NOT be doing so in its entirety. At most, test squadron versus squadron. As to announcements - I've also contacted the public relations person at Ares Games, so hopefully you'll see it on their Facebook site or web page as well.

I have to admit, I am very excited about doing this one. They don’t come any bigger. Like the Nile scenario, by the end of the day I expect folks will walk away with having a better understanding of the tactics of the time (you can call it a history lesson if you like) and having had a good time (as well as having participated in something of this magnitude!).

To all - if you do plan to attend, please let me know. I’m looking for 12 to 24 players to sign up for this (restriction is actually base on game board size – any more than 24 will be difficult to place around the table!) If you do advance registration you will be able to sign-up for (read guaranteed to play) one game.

Hope to get to meet some of you there.
    Last edited by Walram; 12-01-2014 at 20:00.

Dave and the group's preparation for the Nile was really superb, so I'm confident that although this is a huge undertaking, it will be a big success

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Kenneth

Sounds fantastic. Maybe someone could do a webcast. I would love to see a video of the actual gameplay.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

The Sails of Glory Historical Gaming Scenario, “The Glorious First of June” is set for play at Enfilade! 2015. Online Registration is now open at http://www.nhmgs.org/enfilade!.html. But don't dither! Pre-registration for Enfilade! ends on May 5.

Once you’ve pre-registered, players may sign-up online for one event at http://enfilade.gamecon.us/reg/Signup.asp. You may sign-up for another when you get to the convention. Online signup will not fill the last two positions in any event, so if you are unable to get into one here you can try again when you arrive at the convention.

If you are interested in attending and wish to sign up for ”The Glorious First of June” you can get the information you need from http://enfilade.gamecon.us/reg/EventView.asp?ID=104.

For those unfamiliar with the game, I’m also running a training session on Saturday, from 2:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. See http://enfilade.gamecon.us/reg/EventView.asp?ID=105 .

If any of the members of this website plan on attending and participating in this huge battle, let me know. I’d like to meet you in person. Hope to see some of you there.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Tess

Quote Originally Posted by Walram View Post
    The Sails of Glory Historical Gaming Scenario, “The Glorious First of June” is set for play at Enfilade!

If any of the members of this website plan on attending and participating in this huge battle, let me know. I’d like to meet you in person. Hope to see some of you there.
    I'll be there

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

It's almost tempting to make the trip to the west coast just to get in this one, but it's a bit far and I don't fly!!!!
    "War is the greatest game Man can play!" BG George B. McClellan

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Check out the nice coverage they've also gotten on the Sails of Glory Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/SailsOfGlory

I'm pretty sure I wont be attending, but I know if it's anything like last years Nile event it's going to be fantastic.

What a project, David.

I'm really curious for the AAR.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I'm with Sven. I'll be longing for that AAR.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Best wishes, David.

We look forward to your AAR.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Bit out of my league I am afraid, but go get 'em Dave.
    Bligh.

Packing up for the Glorious First of June next weekend. Dave/Walram asked me to provide the vanguard divisions for both French and British fleets. Used up almost all my third-rates ("So THAT'S why I added a Lieutenant onto my Captain KS order..."), and it's still < 1/3 of the ships we will have in play.

I think the most SGN ships I've ever had on the table at one time (personally, i.e. not counting the Nile) was 11. This is going to be one big battle...

(sorry for the crummy picture quality...)

Name:  20150516_180216.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  146.4 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That is going to be some dingdong of a battle Fred.
    How many participants are you expecting?
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    That is going to be some dingdong of a battle Fred.
    How many participants are you expecting?
    Rob.
    Apparently the Enfilade! online preregistration system is pretty limited, so we're quite unsure how many players there will be. Probably somewhere between 12-24. If the former, the challenge will be managing the number of ships, if the latter it will be managing the number of players...

Midshipman
    England

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

Good luck to you! I also look forward to your AAR. this AAR has too many RRR's and one less A lol

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

very amusing Fred.
    Thanks.
    Rob.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Best wishes for next weekend. I hope that it will run smoothly and an enjoyable time will be had by all participants.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Haven't been around the Anchorage much lately, but I knew this was coming up next weekend and wanted to wish you the best of luck. Have a great time and do post photos and an AAR, whichever is easiest.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Best wishes on the event.

It will be exciting to hear how it went.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Just a quick update. The group got together tonight and did our final prep-work (inventoried all the equipment, maneuver cards, etc.) and we’re ready to go.
    The only thing missing are the players! But like they say in one of my favorite movies “If you build it, they will come!” (At least I sure hope so!)

There are a couple of new things that came up that I want to pass on to all of you. We have some prize support! One of our players will get a “Sails of Glory” Starter set. The other is we will have a large banner to display – Thank you Ares! Much appreciated.

Hope to see some of you there. It’s going to be huge and it’s going to be fun!

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

David,

Good luck with the game!

I hope to run a large Fleet Action at our upcoming "Guns of August" show in Williamsburg, VA this summer. Though much of the planning has been on hold the last couple of weeks after the passing of the senior member of our group. I've been assisting getting his extensive hobby collection, and retail items ready for the estate sale coming up shortly.
    "War is the greatest game Man can play!" BG George B. McClellan

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Last year was Battle of the Nile, this year was Glorious First of June. You know what that leaves you, Dave (and I hear those Spanish 3 deckers are on their way)?

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Last year was Battle of the Nile, this year was Glorious First of June. You know what that leaves you, Dave (and I hear those Spanish 3 deckers are on their way)?
    My son also had a chance to participate at the Glorious First, and on the drive home I said "I guess there isn't a bigger historical battle we could play."

Now he's one of those kids that will never just agree with you, so of course he comes back with "I know it's a little out of period for SGN but maybe we can do the 4 Days Fight."

So i'll just throw that out there for Dave to ponder, although I believe he's got "something else" in mind for the next mega game :D

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Well Jim, this time I didn't even need a dare. I've already got a bid in to run "Trafalgar - 1805" at next year's Enfilade! So, yes, I will be chomping at the bit for the Spanish big guns!

And to let the rest of you know – Fred mentioned his son got to play in the “Glorious First of June” – His son didn’t just play, he was the British vanguard squadron commander, and he performed admirably!

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mark

Absolutely admirable! I have never seen such fan and player community support for a game before! SOG players are truly a unique breed. The developers should put you guys on the payroll! The self promotion of the game and the expenses involved warrant this. 24 tablesiders fiddling with ships and maps, HUGE play table, lots of spectators, snacks and refreshments, bottles of aspirin, hope all goes well and in this case, history repeats itself. Brave Lad.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Sounds like another Lord Nelson in the making there Fred.
    Bligh.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Walram View Post
    Well Jim, this time I didn't even need a dare. I've already got a bid in to run "Trafalgar - 1805" at next year's Enfilade! So, yes, I will be chomping at the bit for the Spanish big guns!

And to let the rest of you know – Fred mentioned his son got to play in the “Glorious First of June” – His son didn’t just play, he was the British vanguard squadron commander, and he performed admirably!
    Right on!!!! That's wonderful news, Dave. Incentive to put some enthusiastic pressure on Ares to ensure you get those Spanish 1st Rates in time??!!

From all accounts Fred and his son make a great team and excellent commanders.