Thread: Smallest plastic sailing ship?

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Which reminds me, I have some leisure suits from the '70s if anyone needs them.
    Oh, the abject HORROR... I'm sorry, but IMHO the ONLY good thing that came of the 1970s was my gal. LOL

Which reminds me, I have some leisure suits from the '70s if anyone needs them.
    Eric in the 70s???

Name:  purple-disco-leisure-suit.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  63.2 KB

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

*smacks Bobby with live trout* Where's the Mind Bleach?

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

If only I was that cool, Bobby.

Thanks for a much needed laugh.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

The only good thing to come out of the '70s was Queen.

As to Small Plastic Ships: Here's some samples from Bombat Games' _Admiral_:

From top-left to bottom-right: 100-gun SoL; Galleon; 28-gun Frigate; Brig.

The sails are a bit fiddly to put on, and the masts of a couple came to me broken; but other than that, no problems.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Kenneth

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    The only good thing to come out of the '70s was Queen.

As to Small Plastic Ships: Here's some samples from Bombat Games' _Admiral_:

From top-left to bottom-right: 100-gun SoL; Galleon; 28-gun Frigate; Brig.

The sails are a bit fiddly to put on, and the masts of a couple came to me broken; but other than that, no problems.
    Those actually look pretty good. How big are they?

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Kenneth

How do you like Letter of Marque?
    Letter of Marque is a horrible game. It's really a card game based on bluffing. The idea is that everyone takes a treasure card, puts it in the center of the table and places a ship on it. The ship either has a cannon on the bottom or not. If you challenge a ship with your ship (a cannon card is required), then if the treasure is "defended" with a cannon, they you give that player your cannon card. If it is not, they they must give you their treasure card and remove their ship off the table. When you first play it, you don't defend your lowest treasure cards and defend your highest. Whoever has the most treasure cards and cannon cards at the end of the game wins (it's a point system involving points for each kind of card you keep. A game played this way with two people is boring as hell and over in about 10 minutes. That's right, you're bored in 10 minutes. They give you enough cards and ships to play six players, you only have 5 ships, three without cannon and two with. This game can be a lot of fun with six players because you have to really choose carefully what you defend or what you attack. But even then, it's kinda lame. It's more like something to do when waiting to play a real war-game.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Kenneth

Talk about your minimalist ship representations! This game, which premiered last year in Germany, is wooden. It has teeny tiny one inch ships with the names burnt into the side of each "ship":
    Name:  admirals orders.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  101.7 KB

I wish they would leave off the "masts" so I could substitute strike anywhere matches. That way, I could burn the ships down to the waterline when they caught fire. Imagine the urgency with which you come to the stricken ship's rescue. Now that's realism!

You do have to admit it though, it makes conversions to other ships and building whatever navy you want easy.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Kenneth

Quote Originally Posted by Coog View Post
    You do have to admit it though, it makes conversions to other ships and building whatever navy you want easy.
    How easy is it to burn a name into the side of a one inch block of wood? You would have to have the matrices in a few sizes.

I have some leisure suits from the '70s if anyone needs them.
    Speaking of the 70's, I wish I had a dollar for every leisure suit I burnt a hole in with my cigarettes. Polyester burns so easily.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

There are GOOD reasons why you never see polyester in naval uniforms... like its bad habit of responding to fire by MELTING into the wearer's skin. No Thank You... LOL And why am I remembering Doc Brown's discussion about Vaseline in 1950s hair?

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    There are GOOD reasons why you never see polyester in naval uniforms... like its bad habit of responding to fire by MELTING into the wearer's skin. No Thank You... LOL And why am I remembering Doc Brown's discussion about Vaseline in 1950s hair?
    I think the only reason I have all my hair at my age is because of all the Vaseline I used in my hair in the 50's.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Kenneth

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    I think the only reason I have all my hair at my age is because of all the Vaseline I used in my hair in the 50's.
    You're supposed to wash that stuff out every now and then. You're probably bald underneath all that hair stuck to your head with Vaseline!

If I washed it out I'd have to start combing my hair.

Is that cap covering your hair or your skin?

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Doc: "It's highly fashionable."
    Marty: "Then why don't YOU wear it?"
    Doc: "It's also highly flammable."

LOL

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Kenneth

Is that cap covering your hair or your skin?
    About half and half. I took this pic on my Mac just now. Name:  Me Now1.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  168.4 KB

You must have used some Vaseline too.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Kenneth

I have my mother's hair. She was completely gray by the time she was 40. I was completely grey by the time I was 45. Early greying runs on her side of the family. My father is 83 years old and he is only just turning grey now. I just turned 60 this last June. It is what it is.

I started to get some grey in my mid 60's. (People tell me it's because I don't worry about any thing.)

The way we both seem to have to get in the last word, we'll know each others life history before we're done.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

See that and raise you both BALDING and not even 35... O.O Lucky thing that my gal thinks it makes me look more "mature"...

Ha, ha, ha.
    Have you ever seen Yul Brynner with hair? Not so hot. No hair, a movie star.
    Who needs a shrink, we have each other.

Small ships to 70's "fashion", grey hair and baldi..ness, this site never fails to deliver.

2nd Lieutenant
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Ulrich

Quote Originally Posted by Kentop View Post
    Talk about your minimalist ship representations! This game, which premiered last year in Germany, is wooden. It has teeny tiny one inch ships with the names burnt into the side of each "ship":

I wish they would leave off the "masts" so I could substitute strike anywhere matches. That way, I could burn the ships down to the waterline when they caught fire. Imagine the urgency with which you come to the stricken ship's rescue. Now that's realism!
    I wrote about the game here in the forum and I see this at gamefair in Essen....
    It is very expensive.....
    The told me you need a weekend to play a complete battle...

Quote Originally Posted by Berthier View Post
    Small ships to 70's "fashion", grey hair and baldi..ness, this site never fails to deliver.
    We aim to please. Anything new to talk about.

But getting back on subject, has anyone played Bombat Games, Admiral? And are the rules available online?

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Those actually look pretty good. How big are they?
    The bases for the brig and frigate are 1" x 1/2"; bottom of base to top of mast is 1".

The galleon is 1&3/16" x 5/8" x 1&1/16".

The SoL is 1&1/2" x 3/4" x 1&9/16".

has anyone played Bombat Games, Admiral? And are the rules available online?
    Yes, I have. It is simple, yet it allows for expansion (I've already cooked up rules for F&A rigs, and various smaller SoLs and larger frigates). Theoretically, one could play Trafalgar -- all 60 ships -- with two players total, and not end up overwhelmed.

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/86...n-2012-english

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Kenneth

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    The bases for the brig and frigate are 1" x 1/2"; bottom of base to top of mast is 1".

The galleon is 1&3/16" x 5/8" x 1&1/16".

The SoL is 1&1/2" x 3/4" x 1&9/16".
    You know what? A tiny little mouse hair detail brush to paint the "yards" black, Use some cat whiskers for standing rigging (they grow back!) and they would still look like plastic ships with marshmallow sails! We have a new winner for smallest plastic sailing ship ever! Thanks, Chris. You should get some sort of medal for rising to the challenge and handily beating the Letter of Marque ships.

Landsman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ignacio Herrero

Hi...

Best regards from Spain... great job but you have a little mistake... The Naval Spanish Flag Is not the used for your designs... those is used today Constitutional, the real one was showed in the next picture at the Real Order said...

Name:  Espa%u0025C3%u0025B1aCarlos_III.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  139.4 KB

See you at sea...

inigohe

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Not to sidetrack the Sails discussion, but did you ever get your copy of the Conflict of Heroes solo edition to Awakening the Bear? Supposedly promised for September it still doesn't look like it's available on their website?
    Hi Jim,

Just got it. CSI stocked these a few days ago. A long time coming, no?

I have heard good things about it. On BGG, I signed up for a 10x10 challenge in which you commit to playing 10 games 10 times in 2016. CoH is one of my 10 games, many of which will utilize the solo rule set.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Hi Jim,

Just got it. CSI stocked these a few days ago. A long time coming, no?

I have heard good things about it. On BGG, I signed up for a 10x10 challenge in which you commit to playing 10 games 10 times in 2016. CoH is one of my 10 games, many of which will utilize the solo rule set.
    That's crazy!! Of course maybe I shouldn't say that too loudly. Someone from Ares might decide they can delay Wave 3 even longer?!?

Enjoy!
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I am now awaiting the arrival of the firefight generator expansion. Hopefully, within the next year, we'll see the arrival of other battle expansions.

The CoH games are aesthetically beautiful for a hex-and-chit game.

Landsman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Thomas

Hey, cool game !
    What is the name of it ?
    And produced by which company ?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I'm afraid that is a jump too far for me. i like the aesthetics of the Ares ships. Reminds me a bit of Hair roller armies.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.