Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Constitution & Victory Pick a Date

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

...and that's when news of the tragic sinking of a cargo ship in the Great Lakes came through....

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    At this point I don't even care if retailers get them before those of us who ordered via Ares do. I just want them available for the game before another year passes.
    Hear, hear.

Quote Originally Posted by Herkybird View Post
    April 23rd is St George's day, the patron saint of England!
    And the day I was press-ganged into matrimonial service. In two months, I will have been to "sea" 21 years.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Hear, hear.

And the day I was press-ganged into matrimonial service. In two months, I will have been to "sea" 21 years.
    21, that's a lucky number, and that's almost as much as my last three combined. You're a lucky guy, congratulations.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I'm very lucky, Ed. Thanks.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    In two months, I will have been to "sea" 21 years.
    It just occurred to me that I'm coming up on 23 years before long. Mind-boggling!

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

No it only feels like you've been waiting 23 years for Vic and Connie

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    Sorry Jonas, the cut off date was Nov. 21st.
    It says Feb 23rd cut-off in the OP???

Quote Originally Posted by Mycenius View Post
    It says Feb 23rd cut-off in the OP???
    That's old news. Monday Feb 23rd is the last day to enter.

I just changed it so I could thin out my fleet. You know, maintenance and all, and the dockworkers were complaining.

That's old news. Monday Feb 23rd is the last day to enter.

I just changed it so I could thin out my fleet. You know, maintenance and all, and the dockworkers were complaining.
    So it's possible still to enter?

So it's possible still to enter?
    Yes, just pick a date that's not taken

March 9th

Quote Originally Posted by Coog View Post
    March 9th
    Done

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steven

How true . That's what happens with lack of sleep LOL. Please may I change it to June 4th please.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki 13 View Post
    How true . That's what happens with lack of sleep LOL. Please may I change it to June 4th please.
    Done

March 19th Please!

March 19th Please!
    Done

Done
    Cheers Captain Gunner!

Today is the last day to enter or change your date

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steven

Thanks Gunner.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Kipp

Today is the last day to enter or change your date
    March 16th.

Quote Originally Posted by kippryon View Post
    March 16th.
    Done.

This is all rather exciting isn't it...

Is this where we all now settle down and watch the paint dry...!

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I'm missing from the list on the first page...

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    I'm missing from the list on the first page...
    Found you. Must have had too many that day. Sorry.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

No problem! Just happy to have the honor of participating.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Well, so my date comes and goes. Who's still in the running?

And has there been any news at all? At least Star Wars Armada will be coming out this week, so I have something to be excited about.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Well I had suggested my birthday which was Saturday, so I'm also well out.
    They were intended for B'day presents, but I got a new Kindle instead from my Good Lady.
    Bligh.

Last update was 3/13. Ares said they were unloaded from the ship, but waiting for a train.

Perhaps they haven't been loaded on a train yet, since Ares hasn't said anything.

Apparently once they catch a train, it will take 10 days to get to Chicago, presumably a more few days to reach their midwest fulfillment center, then they will take some amount of time for their often-disappointing warehouse guys to get their act in gear, and then time to ship out to the Anchorage and all of us

Second half of April seems to be about the earliest we can possibly hope for.

David Manley's guess (October 1, year unspecified) looks better all the time

Midshipman
    England

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

So were still going. Any hints from Ares?

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by fredmiracle View Post
    Last update was 3/13. Ares said they were unloaded from the ship, but waiting for a train.
    Must be about time for a rail strike then

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Actually, call it if we really get lucky 5 days on a hotshot intermodal to Chicago, if we're REAL lucky connecting in via the Indiana Harbor Belt rather than the Belt Railway of Chicago for transfer via truck to Fort Wayne which only means another 2 days, grand total a week from container on-load--there don't seem to be a lot of rail intermodal facilities in the tri-state area.

If they're going via BRC, expect another week tied up in their holding yards--"it takes longer to cross Chicago than the rest of the country" is a sad truth in the American railroad industry.

Right now, the rail unions are playing it pretty cool--they're up for negotiations this year, but not yet. The cynic in me says they're gonna put on a show of goodwill right now to get everything moving again, then spring the trap just in time to be the Grinches Who Stole Christmas...

Able Seaman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Susan

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    ...and that's when news of the tragic sinking of a cargo ship in the Great Lakes came through....
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/24/bu...shipments.html

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Must be about time for a rail strike then
    Careful Dave.
    The Gods may hear you.
    Bligh.

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

I'm still here, sadly, my May 2nd looks more likely all the time!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Herkybird View Post
    I'm still here, sadly, my May 2nd looks more likely all the time!
    Yes. Sad but true Richard.
    Hopefully we will have it by Trafalgar Day at least?
    Bligh.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I wonder if that's the same ship as was involved in _Edmund Fitzgerald_'s sinking.

Able Seaman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Susan

Yep, that's the one.

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Yes. Sad but true Richard.
    Hopefully we will have it by Trafalgar Day at least?
    Bligh.
    That would truly be a 'Victory', and good for my 'Constitution'

Still hope for mid-April maybe... Ares posted a comment on KS:

Quote Originally Posted by Ares
    Finally it looks like the goods are going to be delivered to the warhouse - today or on monday. We'll send out an updated proper when the "rumor" is confirmed. We got airplanes in our warehouse yesterday, though - they shipped several weeks after V&C, but arriving through Canada :-O

That's great news. Now I have to wait and see when Keith gets his shipment.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Very good news, indeed.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Oh, we were to guess when Keith get them, not when they reach the warehouse. Then I'm off by a few days...

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

The container with HMS Victory and USS Constitution has finally reached the delivery hub of our freight forwarder in Chicago. This means that we are now confident that the delivery to our warehouse - and the shipment to you - is really close, a matter of days if not hours.
    From the Kickstarter mailinglist...

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Well that's certainly good news. Question though, if I pre ordered directly from Ares (though I have never been a kickstarter myself), any idea when mine should be shipping comparatively?

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Frankly at this point the only Victory I'm interested in is this one. Announced last year at Gen Con and in my hands in just over seven months.

Name:  swm02.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  98.5 KB

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Jim, that's also because FFG keeps their cards closer to the vest and announces later, if I read their business model right--we've been further inside the loop and seen more of the production cycle and its trials and tribulations.

It does not help that Ares is like a minnow in the shark-tank of China business... were it me, I'd be tempted to at least do preliminary research into costs of opening a line somewhere in Eastern Europe--the Czechs have long been considered prime breeding-ground for quality resin add-ons on display-only models, so I'd bet that whoever cuts tooling for Eduard or Valom or CMK would do just as well by Ares if they have the bandwidth and the price is right.

considering we're "in the bubble" it's funny that I'm still unclear on why it's taken so long to get V&C done. There was some vague noise about "not good enough quality" at one point, and I suppose the mast issues affected it in some unknown way, and then of course 3? months of shipping delay, but it's hard for me to really grasp the totality of it. Maybe they would be better served to release even MORE information, so we know what they are dealing with.

Worth recalling too that Ares didn't bring us "inside" on V&C out of the goodness of their heart, but rather to drive the KS. That's fine, and I think they are really quite lucky at how patient this KS crew seems to have been--I think a lot of other campaigns would be a lot noisier about the situation. But it's not like it was altruism...

On a related note, if I REALLY believed they were working hard on wave 3, I'd be a lot more sanguine about the long gap ahead (no, picking 4 models and leaking their types does not count as working hard). From the information they've given us, they've not really done anything with V&C except receive shipping delay notices for the last 6 months or so. And the next wave is expected "some time in 2016". So if they are taking a big long break from SGN, as appears to me to be the case, then I'm depressed. If there were some credible breadcrumbs offered that real things actually were happening to advance wave 3 (as some people seem to believe), I think I'd feel better about things. Even if the answer was: "the next step is to get pre-production masters from the factory, and it should have taken 1 month, but the factory is jerking us around and it's already been 2 months and we still don't know when we will get it" then I would have a better idea why the delay...

in short, maybe Ares is at the very worst spot on the "too much/too little" information curve.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by fredmiracle View Post
    considering we're "in the bubble" it's funny that I'm still unclear on why it's taken so long to get V&C done. There was some vague noise about "not good enough quality" at one point, and I suppose the mast issues affected it in some unknown way, and then of course 3? months of shipping delay, but it's hard for me to really grasp the totality of it. Maybe they would be better served to release even MORE information, so we know what they are dealing with.

Worth recalling too that Ares didn't bring us "inside" on V&C out of the goodness of their heart, but rather to drive the KS. That's fine, and I think they are really quite lucky at how patient this KS crew seems to have been--I think a lot of other campaigns would be a lot noisier about the situation. But it's not like it was altruism...

On a related note, if I REALLY believed they were working hard on wave 3, I'd be a lot more sanguine about the long gap ahead (no, picking 4 models and leaking their types does not count as working hard). From the information they've given us, they've not really done anything with V&C except receive shipping delay notices for the last 6 months or so. And the next wave is expected "some time in 2016". So if they are taking a big long break from SGN, as appears to me to be the case, then I'm depressed. If there were some credible breadcrumbs offered that real things actually were happening to advance wave 3 (as some people seem to believe), I think I'd feel better about things. Even if the answer was: "the next step is to get pre-production masters from the factory, and it should have taken 1 month, but the factory is jerking us around and it's already been 2 months and we still don't know when we will get it" then I would have a better idea why the delay...

in short, maybe Ares is at the very worst spot on the "too much/too little" information curve.
    I have to agree. A combination of indifference and ineptitude has left me very disappointed and disillusioned. They've run 5 successful KS projects (soon to be six) and one of those wasn't even related to gaming, so they do know their way around the industry and can plan accordingly even if they're a small gaming company. I just think they've decided SGN isn't ever going to be big enough for them to continue investing time and energy at a level that most gamers have come to expect. That's their choice of course, but I don't have years and years to wait for new minis, promised pdf's in lieu of minis and some real evidence that Ares cares for an IP I supported vigorously.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

The other thing is, as a market... well, naval gaming has always been a sideshow next to air and land. Wizards of the Coast gave the War at Sea line the full Bastard Stepchild Treatment... the thing is, it looks like the market can support maybe one Sails release a year, and doing a new run from an existing sculpt takes most of the same bandwidth on the factory and shipping side as a whole new sculpt.

In a nutshell, their main moneymakers come first--WGF, WGS, Conan, War of the Ring, whatever new "marquee" boardgame is being featured that year--and then Sails gets part of whatever's left along with the rest of the boardgame catalog. They *HAVE* to come first, because they keep the cash flow coming in, and without that there's not enough liquidity to even consider branching out into new frontiers and uncharted seas.

There's a lot that I wish I could tell you from the inside... and there's also a lot that I wish they'd tell me, so I totally get your frustrations. :) Believe me, you guys should *see* some of the reamings I've fired off...

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Well just thanks for the insights that you can give us DB. I'm sure that they are doing what they deem to be best for the market.
    After all our hobby depends on it, but their jobs are on the line.
    Rob.