Thread: Another Repaint and Rigging: HMS DEFENCE (lots of pictures)

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Darren

Question Another Repaint and Rigging: HMS DEFENCE (lots of pictures)

So I have finally complete the HMS Defence. I've been working on this for quite a while. Of course only a few hours a week.
    Part of it is learning techniques (like making ratlines).
    Obviously perfection is harsh mistress.

So instead of just jumping straight into the finished piece I have pictures to show the progress. If you want to see the final, go to the last few pictures.
    In the beginning there was the ship out of the box. As you can see the mast is slightly bend.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  109.4 KB

Thanks to the people on the forum this was rectified with the hot/cold water baths.
Views: 792
Size:  121.7 KB

So why the repaint. Well the next two pictures show more detail on the factory paint job.
    As can be seen quite a bit of paint missing on the structure that holds the sail to the mast.
    Nor are the battle tops painted consistently black and spars not black at all.
    Now I have nothing to compare to, so not sure if this is the expected quality of prepainted figures. I've looked at X-wing (haven't bought) but their paint jobs are quite good. Not perfect. But then again how do I know a fictional object is painted correctly.
Views: 752
Size:  124.1 KB
Views: 688
Size:  55.5 KB

So the first step is to paint the sails. Sounds easier than it is for two reasons:
    1. I think my paint wasn't very good and chalky. I bought better hobby paint but still had to paint multiple times.
    2. Paint spillage. Kept getting paint on the deck and rail. I started using painters tape to do the deck.

The picture below shows just the foresail painted. The lighting is a little white washed so there seems to be too much white contrast.
Views: 738
Size:  120.5 KB

The next two pictures show all the sails painted.
    I did highlight the tell-tales on the sail. It is just a mix of white and tan (1:1). Very subtle.
    I tried dry brushing but it just became painting on the raised lines.
Views: 744
Size:  138.4 KB
Views: 731
Size:  114.8 KB

The next two pictures is where I think the model starts improving. The painting of the spars black.
    Then it really popped when I paint the rope lines on the spars. That is also the white/tan mix.
    Definitely picky work and half the time working with globby paint. I've got better brushes so hopefully the Frigates are easier (I have the French SOL waiting for rigging, painting already done).
Views: 700
Size:  163.3 KB
Views: 709
Size:  127.4 KB

Decisions, decisions, what color (colour http://sailsofglory.org/images/icons/icon11.png) do I paint the mast.
    I tried matching the color to the original from the factory. Drove me a little more crazy.
    Then I decided on yellow ochre, doesn't match the original factory paint job, but is suppose to match the actual color of the time.
    Difficult to know as yellow ochre seems to come in different shades.
    Well I was happy with the results and made the model that much better.
    Again being a perfectionist (curse and blessing) I also paint the black ropes (http://sailsofglory.org/images/icons/icon5.png) around the mast.
    I swear, if the mast were truly round it would be easier to wrap thread around it.
    I tried to be very precise. I guess it was more for pictures than game play since the players are like flying 300-1000 feet above the model.
Views: 755
Size:  175.8 KB
Views: 755
Size:  165.8 KB

The next step rigging.
    I used the cotton thread with white glue method from www.warartisan.com
    The next photo is some standing rigging and my homemade ratlines (http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.p...ll=1#post36328).
    I did have to cut the flag post and then reattach it.
    Still wonder if I should just add a flag on an extra running rigging.
Views: 765
Size:  208.9 KB

And then the completion of the standing rigging (the stays).
    This was hard for me since I didn't know how many to do.
    I used some references and did what I though looked fine. I visually liked when the two stays start on the same point of the rail and end up in two different spots on the mast.
    Later on, I also tried using weight to pull the lines tight and then glue by pushing down the tread. Used some quick drying crazy glue.
Views: 716
Size:  182.2 KB

And finally added the running rigging.
    I used white thread and painted with a brown/golden brown (1:1). Push the thread into the paint, pull and squeeze and then add the white glue.
    These are the final set of pictures.
    Hope you liked the write up and of course the pictures.
    I always do when others on the forum post.
    Thanks
Views: 707
Size:  217.8 KB
Views: 683
Size:  141.7 KB
Views: 588
Size:  83.5 KB
Views: 672
Size:  168.5 KB
Views: 645
Size:  196.0 KB
Views: 657
Size:  142.3 KB
    These are the final pictures.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Excellent job all around. I especially like how your homemade ratlines turned out! They really add to the total rigging effect. Nice photos, commentary and presentation!! Thanks much for sharing!

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Darren

Thanks.
    Couldn't have done it without this site.
    First ship I've painted and seconded I rigged (referring to the paper SOL http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?2635-Paper-SOL).
    Now I have to play the game

Also posted a picture of the ship in the helping hand attachment I made.
    http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.p...ll=1#post39588

Ditto Nightmoss! I absolutely love your ratlines!

Excellent modelling and commentary Darren

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Jörg

Looks really good!

Good work Darren!!!

The ratlines must have cost a lot .... my first models of Langton were made with homemade ratlines and I had to change because it used to cost me a lot.

I like the rough look they have. It gives a more natural,realistic look to them.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Darren

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoat View Post
    Good work Darren!!!

The ratlines must have cost a lot .... my first models of Langton were made with homemade ratlines and I had to change because it used to cost me a lot.
    You mean cost a lot of time.
    Yeah they can be a little time intensive.
    The smaller ratlines come apart easier when I'm trimming then. I believe sine they only have 4 verticals instead of 5-6.
    Also gluing them on the ship is difficult at times too.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Darren

Quote Originally Posted by Coog View Post
    I like the rough look they have. It gives a more natural,realistic look to them.
    Funny is I tried to trim the edges as close to the vertical lines as possible. I still see the edges of the horizontal lines. But when I looked at some pictures of real ratlines one does see the knots of horizontal lines on the edge.

The ratlines aren't the center piece of the ship any more like in the intermediary picture. With the final pictures it's hard to focus on just the ratlines. I guess in this case the whole is greater the sum of its parts.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Kenneth

Outstanding job. Love the ratlines and the black yard arms. Those aren't telltales on the sails. Those are reefing nettles, used to shorten the sail in heavier weather. The big vertical lines running down the middle of the sails are buntlines. If the lines goes to to the side, I guess that they're clew lines. But great job.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Darren

Quote Originally Posted by Kentop View Post
    Outstanding job. Love the ratlines and the black yard arms. Those aren't telltales on the sails. Those are reefing nettles, used to shorten the sail in heavier weather. The big vertical lines running down the middle of the sails are buntlines. If the lines goes to to the side, I guess that they're clew lines. But great job.
    Thanks
    What color would the nettles, buntlines and clew lines be?
    Same as the running rigging?

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Darren

So question, is the small boat in the center of the board the correct color?
    To me it seems out of place, too plastic looking.

Quote Originally Posted by wan314 View Post
    Thanks
    What color would the nettles, buntlines and clew lines be?
    Same as the running rigging?
    Yes all those lines are running rigging, used primarily for setting/dousing sail, or reefing as Ken noted.

Nice work BTW. I'd never have the patience to make my own ratlines like that!! I might suggest cutting off the ensign and hanging a paper one from a halyard on the spanker, it would complete the look.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Darren

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    Yes all those lines are running rigging, used primarily for setting/dousing sail, or reefing as Ken noted.

Nice work BTW. I'd never have the patience to make my own ratlines like that!! I might suggest cutting off the ensign and hanging a paper one from a halyard on the spanker, it would complete the look.
    So I take having a giant flag on a giant flag pole is not the natural state.
    Ironically I took it off and put it back on.
    I noticed people have hung the flag from an extra line on the mizzen.
    What size is the flag?

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Beautiful work.

Thank you for the step-by-step commentary. It's a bit amazing how much improvement just painting the sails, masts, etc. made, without considering the rigging work.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Darren

Thanks.

Yes I thought the model started to pop when the spars were done.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Excellent painting and modelling, Darren! The photographs and commentary explained your work well.

Quote Originally Posted by wan314 View Post
    So I take having a giant flag on a giant flag pole is not the natural state.
    Ironically I took it off and put it back on.
    I noticed people have hung the flag from an extra line on the mizzen.
    What size is the flag?
    Usually still rather large, but smaller than the ones provided. I got flag sheets from Rod Langton: www.rodlangton.com. You'll see examples of painted and rigged 1/1200 scale ships on the home page.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Darren

Some extra to the ship.
    I added waves. It's a piece of heavy weight paper with plaster. Painted and water proofed.
    It goes over the ship stand.
    The paper was a little too flexible and I'll try plastic next time.

Views: 521
Size:  148.2 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  175.7 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  171.0 KB

Nice touch. The waves look good.

Well done Darren !!!

Have you tried using varnish to make it more rigid? ... I use a dense varnish and then paint over. In this way everything is stiffer.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Darren

No I haven't.
    I've used acrylic spray.
    I also used a little crazy glue (very liquid).

It was my first try with the plaster. Unusual that one can get away with a first iteration.
    Although I did practice the wave painting and paper about 2 months before.

Thanks Volunteer for the comments.