Thread: Naval Intelligence in the Age of Sail

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Default Naval Intelligence in the Age of Sail

"The History of warfare is the history of intelligence." So says Steven E. Maffeo, the author of Most Secret and Confidential: Intelligence in the Age of Nelson. Maffeo opens the Preface to his book with the following quote from the Rt. Hon. William Pitt, Prime Minister of Great Britain, made early in the year of 1792: Unquestionably there never was a time in the history of this country when, from the situation in Europe, we might more reasonably expect fifteen years of peace than we may at the present moment. Soon thereafter, Europe was at war.

As I read through this book, I will summarize each chapter in this thread. From the Preface alone, several ideas for scenarios have arisen, as well as a component for campaign play. Once I have completed the book, I will write a formal review. This thread will enable us to dialogue more fully about some of the book's content, and AoS naval intelligence in general.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

In the first chapter, the author recounts how some in the British diplomatic service disdained participating in Secret Service work that entailed the paying of bribes or for services rendered by secret informants. Sir James Harris, who later became the Earl of Malmesbury, stated, "I abhor this dirty work, but when one is employed to sweep chimneys one must black one's fingers. He later advised a new diplomat to use "rascals in doing any dirty piece of work … never to mix yourself in any such business" and if needing to be so engaged to leave such dirty work to "foreign adventurers ready for anything of the kind."

I wonder if the nature of diplomatic service fostered such feelings, if one's class did so, or if there was a different basis. I can understand how a diplomat might want to be perceived as above board due to a desire to reach agreements with foreign powers, but the recommendation to leave such "dirty" work to foreigners, or that such intelligence work was perceived as dirty to begin with, leads me to believe something else was driving the disdain. Would it have been considered ungentlemanly?
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

"Gentlemen do not read each others mail."
    --Cordell Hull, studiously REFUSING to read an intercepted Japanese message that telegraphed the Pearl Harbor attack

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    "Gentlemen do not read each others mail."
    --Cordell Hull, studiously REFUSING to read an intercepted Japanese message that telegraphed the Pearl Harbor attack
    On the one hand, I can appreciate the sentiment behind such a belief, especially regarding personal correspondence of a private (i.e. not associated with public concerns) nature. On the other hand, the potential effects of such a policy on others, especially others for whom one has some measure of charge regarding keeping safe, seems more than foolish; it seems unethical. If there is probable cause ...

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

This was official traffic, using the PURPLE diplomatic code. Hull was a bloody MORON to not be watching, and the cryptogeeks blundered for not taking it up through Stimson, having him take it to FDR and then FDR ram it down Hull's throat.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    This was official traffic, using the PURPLE diplomatic code. Hull was a bloody MORON to not be watching, and the cryptogeeks blundered for not taking it up through Stimson, having him take it to FDR and then FDR ram it down Hull's throat.
    I wonder what the eventual outcome would have been had he followed through with, what arguably could have been, his duties.

DB, I often have questioned the idea of diplomatic immunity, especially given its use in terms of intelligence work.