Thread: The Anatomy of Nelson's Ships

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Kenneth

Default The Anatomy of Nelson's Ships

By C Nepean Longridge, Published by the Naval Institute Press, Anapolis MD, 1961

Contains over 158 drawings, 12 fold out plans and 76 plates. 283 pages with index.

Mr Longridge is a model ship builder would built the model of the HMS Victory that now resides in the Science Museum at South Kensington. He was present during the restoration of the Victory and the book includes photos of it and the HMS Implacable (the pictures were taken just before it was scuttled). No detail is too small for this book, right down to how to make the knots on the Reef nettles. The level of detail is simply staggering. This book shows exactly where every sheet, buntline, clew, halyard, brace, stay, shroud, and lift was fitted and how they were belayed on deck. It shows every block and every piece of tackle. It shows how every piece of wood on the ship was fashioned and how to recreate it in a model. It simply is the best book I have ever seen on how a ship of the line actually operated and why you needed 400 crewmen. Name:  HMS Victory rigging-5.jpg
Views: 10979
Size:  203.5 KBName:  HMS Victory rigging-6.jpg
Views: 6315
Size:  174.2 KBName:  HMS Victory rigging-2.jpg
Views: 14662
Size:  294.4 KBName:  HMS Victory rigging-1.jpg
Views: 6737
Size:  215.8 KB

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

LOL, 400 on Victory would be a skeleton crew, and rather light even on 74's... Good find!

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Very nice, indeed, Kenneth. I like the pictures presented.

The more I learn about these ships, the more impressed I am with the knowledge captains and others must have had.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Very cool! Thanks for the photos.