Thread: Hi all...

Midshipman
    England

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

Default Hi all...

New to Sails of Glory and looking forward to chatting about my new venture.
    I've always been interested in Napoleonic naval warfare and my daughter has a passion for the Pirates of the carribean films, so this seems the best game for us to share in my wargames hobby and her interest in pirates. I love the look of the models and the simplicity yet effectiveness of the rules.
    Hey its win, win for me as i must have offended the dice gods in a past life, NO dice in this game? YAY!

So, im going to paint up one of my starter ships as the Black pearl (inspired by a thread on this here forum), Whats the best approach to painting these models?

Being a regular visitor to Portsmouth to see my footie team (play up pompey!!!!), i am gagging to get myself a model of HMS Victory, is it likely to be available?
    If Vicky is to be a kickstarter payee offer only, can someone get me one?

Also, ratlines for my little boaties, how best do i go about getting them? Us poor UK folk get fairly hammered by customs on items from the US.

So fire away shipmates!

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Welcome aboard, Steve.

SoG and WoG are great games in that they can be enjoyed by various levels or types of players. The nice thing about SoG is the different depths to which one can take the rules.

Best wishes with playing with your daughter.

The Victory should be available to anyone as a regular purchase sometime before the end of time. At this stage, I am not sure what benefit exists for those who added her on during the KS.

As for custom charges, etc., there doesn't seem to be a good way around them if you buy directly from a U.S. supplier. The only way I know of is if a U.S. member buys them for you as a gift.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Welcome to the Anchorage, Steve. If you search this site, you will find how another member painted a ship to look like the Black Pearl.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Greetings Steve and welcome aboard. I replied to you inquiry on the ratlines in the other thread. Eric and David answered your other questions and yes there are pirates here about.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

YARRR! Welcome aboard, matey...

Welcome aboard Steve!

Midshipman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Darell

Welcome from Alberta

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Jörg

Welcome!

Midshipman
    England

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

Thanks for the great welcome folks!
    Visited Portsmouth dockyards today (in the teeming rain) with my daughter, if youve never been, i can only say that youve got to go.
    Victory is going thru its biggest restoration ever at the moment and is half dismasted, but still awe inspiring, a true work of art.
    HMS Warrior, the ship that made the worlds navies obsolete at a stroke, is still afloat and looking as formidable as ever.
    The Mary Rose now has a full museum and is no longer being sprayed 24 7 so is far better viewed, the recovered artifacts such as the ships dogs remains are wonderfully displayed.

If i can get my head round it i shall post some piccies. Forgive the quality, but they were taken on my phone in monsoon conditions!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140825_142546.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	192.3 KB 
ID:	11326
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20140825_141833.jpg  

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Super! Thanks for posting.

Midshipman
    England

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

Warrior above.
    Interior below.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140825_140818.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	139.9 KB 
ID:	11330
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20140825_135922.jpg   20140825_135917.jpg  

Midshipman
    England

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

As Rik Mayall would have said... "its a blooody cannon!!!!"

With my beautiful daughter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20140825_135316.jpg  

Midshipman
    England

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

My Princess, me and my mum:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20140825_135719.jpg  
    Last edited by Popsical; 08-25-2014 at 13:48.

Midshipman
    England

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

Victory and her innards:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20140825_142546.jpg   20140825_142551.jpg   20140825_143122.jpg   20140825_143234.jpg   20140825_143743.jpg  

Midshipman
    England

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

Victory gun:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20140825_143858.jpg  

Midshipman
    England

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

The Mary Rose and her ships dog "Hatch":
    Sorry about the ship pic, its thru thick glass and the air con obscures alot.
    Rather than a scene from Alien movies it really is worth seeing.
    The reason for her sinking and loss of 500 lives is rather pathetic in its simplicity. Very sad indeed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20140825_152137.jpg   20140825_151309.jpg  

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Welcome aboard Steve.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

She is a beautiful ship. Makes me even more desirous to receive her mini. Thanks for sharing.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Midshipman
    England

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

Cheers paul.

I have to agree with you eric, i hope ares do Victory her due justice in mini form, and i am also eagerly awaiting her.
    Have ares considered cards representing famous historical commanders such as Nelson?

Regarding my trip to pompey, the new Mary rose museum really brings home the history the ship well.
    The original hull remains sit oppostite a mock up of the other side which has the guns and other finds on display.
    Its well thought out and implemented and very informative.
    An era which could also be done in SoG i think.

Mary Rose sank as water entered her lower gun ports in a turn, which allowed the swell to enter.
    Only 30 of her crew survived from 500! All the more devastating for the lack of enemy action involved.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Popsical View Post
    Cheers paul.

I have to agree with you eric, i hope ares do Victory her due justice in mini form, and i am also eagerly awaiting her.
    Have ares considered cards representing famous historical commanders such as Nelson?

Regarding my trip to pompey, the new Mary rose museum really brings home the history the ship well.
    The original hull remains sit oppostite a mock up of the other side which has the guns and other finds on display.
    Its well thought out and implemented and very informative.
    An era which could also be done in SoG i think.

Mary Rose sank as water entered her lower gun ports in a turn, which allowed the swell to enter.
    Only 30 of her crew survived from 500! All the more devastating for the lack of enemy action involved.
    Steve, after your post I went searching for more information on the Mary Rose. I found this YouTube video to be interesting. How accurate it is I wont say (although David can probably comment)?

Midshipman
    England

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

Thanks jim. That is pretty much the conclusion of all the experts of this time. I saw that documentary on channel 4 and its nice to be reminded of it.
    She proved that more isnt neccessarily better.
    Most appreciated jim.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Thanks for the video link, Jim. Something to watch this holiday weekend.

Bonjour Steve.

Welcome on board.

Thank you for those great pictures.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Welcome Steve, from Brizzle

Belated welcome Steve, love the photos. When I visited the Victory in 1985 (!) she was without her bowsprit and foremast, seems the work of keeping her in fine shape never ends.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Kenneth

Great photos, thanks for posting them. SOG is great fun to play and the Anchorage is the best place to talk about it. Are you still in shock with what happened to Portland FC? I'm a tractor boy myself (that's a fan of Ipswich Town FC for the soccer challenged yanks among us). Welcome to the forum.

Don't know how I missed your introduction but, welcome aboard Steve.
    Looks like your daughter is enjoying the trip. Thanks for the well thought out photos.

Welcome and thanks for the photos. The way I look at it the rain kept the crowds away! Next time I am on your side of the pond I am off to Portsmouth! Last time we scored club seats for an Arsenal game for my son, so no ships for me. Of course now I am a Gunner!

Midshipman
    England

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

Thanks for the welcome guys.
    Portsmouth FC going pop was a big emotional drain on a great many of us that love our team, the only way is up for the future we hope.
    My daughter loved the trip and now wants to go back repeatedly lol.
    Rain NEVER keeps the crowds away in blighty, if it did we would all stay home all year!!! Actually you're right Eric it was quiter that day, which was pretty good really. We werent allowed on the top deck of Victory tho as it was deemed too slippery for health and safety issues.
    Commiserations on your indoctrination to Gunnerhood, remember the key supporter action, BE QUIET while the game is being played, They dont like noisy fans SHHHHHHH.