Thread: USS Constitution

Default USS Constitution

I took a long weekend trip to Boston with my family last weekend. Since the Constitution is going into drydock for three years I thought that a visit was a must do on the list! I also had never been to the Constitution Museum next to the ship. My son, who was mainly interested in visiting the TD Garden Sports Museum and seeing a Red Sox game admitted that he was impressed with the ship. Now just to get him to try SGN!

The ship, well she speaks for herself, but the museum was worth the visit and they only asked for a small donation. The exhibits included a number of models and as well as Cpt Lambert's sword from the Java fight. They had a number of gifts presented to Captains Bainbridge and Hull after their victories as well. A good part of the museum is dedicated to younger kids, but it is well done.

I did splurge on a somewhat expensive pen what was made from wood taken out of the ship during a previous restoration.

I have uploaded some photos of the ship to an album. I did focus on some details of the rigging. Also I noted the different types of ammunition, several of which were used as disabling shot (star and bar shot). I included a shot of the knees on the berth deck to show the structure. They have the three tops'ls and the spanker on board, and a total of 11 sails, the rest of which are in the sail loft on shore. The restoration will work include rigging work, so I hope they'll sail her again! I also confirmed that the lottery to be on board for her next turn around cruise in 2018 will be online late 2017 and I already marked my calendar!

On a more somber note at the Red Sox game that night they paid tribute to MG Harold Greene who was the highest ranking US officer KIA in 40 years. He was from Boston and a big Red Sox fan. Everyone spontaneously stood for a moment of silence before the USA chants started. His family was present and moved by the crowds reaction. This was in addition to honoring a Colonel from the NG who earned a bronze star in Afghanistan. From deck of a ship famous for fighting 18th c terrorists to the unfortunate result of modern day terrorist actions.

Eric

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Thank you for sharing Eric. That was a memorable day.

I understand the splurging; if I have the opportunity, I will buy such a pen. There's history there.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Indeed, thanks for sharing the photos, she's a real beauty.

I visited here a few years ago, but didn't have a camera with me. Great seeing these. :-)

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    I did splurge on a somewhat expensive pen what was made from wood taken out of the ship during a previous restoration.
    On my trip, I went with a couple packs of the pewter "improvised" dice (the ones which were made from bullets -- hammered into a cube, and marked on the sides), as seen here: http://www.countrypastimes.com/pewter-dice/ .

Once a Gamer.... >;)

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Stunning photos, Eric. Thanks very much for sharing. On the shot you took of the bowsprit is the buff section actually curving upwards or is it just my bad eyes or the angle of the camera? Just a curiosity question.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Those are good photographs in your album, Eric. It must have been a moving visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Stunning photos, Eric. Thanks very much for sharing. On the shot you took of the bowsprit is the buff section actually curving upwards or is it just my bad eyes or the angle of the camera? Just a curiosity question.
    Jim your eyes are still good! There is a bend in the jib boom! Actually the color is more of a red ochre like the gun carriages.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Jim your eyes are still good! There is a bend in the jib boom! Actually the color is more of a red ochre like the gun carriages.
    Thanks, Eric. The color settings on my computer might be off? The jib boom definitely looks darkish brown\buff to me?

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Targe

Love the pictures, I really look forward to when I can see her myself, whenever that trip happens.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I wondered about this, but given my scant knowledge, assumed it wasn't unusual. Is the bend due to line tension?
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato