Thread: Quick and Dirty: Bow/Stern Chasers

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Default Quick and Dirty: Bow/Stern Chasers

Simple fix - If a ruler aligned with the center-line of your ship's base and starting at where your ship's bow or stern meets its base crosses or touches an enemy ship, you may declare Firing Chasers. The target draws one Damage from the appropriate bag. Chasers do not require a reload time (only two as opposed to a full broadside), and do not affect reloading and firing of Broadsides.

Sound like it's something ready for playtest?

You may want to limit the damage as well. I'd hate to pull a '6' out of the bag when this really just represents 1-2 guns. Maybe limit to 1 actual damages plus specials (to account for possible rudder, or sail damage).

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Good point, Eric.

I know the intent is "quick and dirty" but I'll offer a few thoughts anyway...

Given that it's ~2 guns, that's still 1/4 or so of a Thorn broadside. So limit the damage is a very good idea. I was also thinking perhaps you have to draw an E to see if it "really" hits.

Or another possibility--since chasers were mainly intended to rigging damage, you could ignore hull and crew damage altogether, and only count certain critical hits: sail, mast, rudder (only if facing enemy stern?) and maybe leak(?)

Finally, I think of chasers being a "special case" mostly intended for pursuit situations, but not a major factor in straight-up battles. So should chasers be allowed to be fired constantly in a battle? Or maybe they should be limited--for example by taking up a fire broadside action, or requiring a planned action of their own, or something like that

This probably complicates things undesirably, but the idea of people in a dense battle scenario drawing "bonus chits" every turn thanks to a chaser rule doesn't quite sit right...

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Fred, that's part of why I said "straight line" (ZERO fire arc, dead ahead/astern only)--by definition you can't fire chasers at a target within a broadside arc.

Revised version:
    Dead Ahead/Astern ONLY
    May ONLY be used against ships of equal or lower Rating (so no trying to pot a First Rate with a frigate LOL)
    May not target a ship you are also firing broadsides at this Gunnery phase
    Does not count for Hull damage, apply any Special Damage drawn (Rudder damage only applicable if firing into target's stern) and return chit to bag

Besides, the gamble is if you're teeing up your one chit of Chaser, one good turn puts them in prime position to Rake you in return...

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I have had some ideas about how to use bow and stern chasers and have 'designed ' some action counters.

Name:  bowchaser.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  32.0 KBName:  reloadbowchaser.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  31.9 KBName:  sternchaser.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  32.6 KBName:  reloadsternchaser.jpg
Views: 633
Size:  31.6 KB

To fire the bow-chasers, the first counter 'fire bow-chasers' must be played as one of the actions for that turn. If you want to use a firing arc place the counter with the red spot at the black mark on the front of the ship's base and measure range from the red spot. The 1 represents one damage counter, which the target takes. I reckon the two 'long nines' - the typical British bow-chasers- would do as much damage as a sloop's forward battery of 6-pounders. In the 'reload phase' the counter is placed in the ship's special damage box. Next turn, the second action counter 'reload bow-chasers' is played and in the 'reload phase' the fire counter is removed from the special damage box, ready to be fired again in the following turn.

The remaining two counters represent 'fire stern-chasers' and 'reload stern chasers'. They work in a similar way with the red spot being placed at the black mark at the rear of the base.

The firing arcs could be narrowed or firing straight ahead and straight behind could be used, if people think either option is better.
    Last edited by Naharaht; 08-16-2014 at 08:53.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Just followed the link to this Dave.
    I'm surprised nobody discussed it at the time.
    I have been wondering about long stern chases for a while now esp with Merchantmen in the offing, or if a ship tries to break off action and run for home.
    This idea of yours seems to fill the bill admirably in my humble opinion.
    Rob.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I, too, missed this. With discussion of house rules a moment ago, this is timely.

David, can you upload the counter images in the files section?
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Every counter set comes with a leftover blank counter. Just use that one counter to represent allocating crew to firing chasers. Doesn't matter which chasers.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Eric, I have just submitted a file containing my ideas on Bow and Stern Chasers to the Files section. It is called 'Some Ideas on Bow and Stern Chasers'. It contains the counter images.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Just had a look for this Dave.
    Seems as if it is not ratified yet.
    Rob.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Yes, it usually takes a few days to be approved, Rob.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

File has been approved.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato