Thread: Robin Williams

Default Robin Williams

I suspect that most of you know that Robin Williams passed away yesterday however what you may not know is that he was a wargamer. He gamed with his kids and commissioned painted 40K armies.

Here is a link from TMP on the subject: http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=355955

I can only imagine what the 40K game between Billy Crystal and Robin Williams must have been like! That said a very sad day indeed. The world has lost a very talented person who brought laughter to many. RIP.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I think Robin Williams was one of the funniest entertainers I ever saw. I was saddened to hear how he died. I only wish he could have experienced the same joy he brought to us.

Thank you for sharing this, Eric. I did not know he was a gamer.

R.I.P. Mr. Williams.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I didn't know Williams was a gamer. Thanks for the link and information.

It's unfortunate that many comedians suffer from depression. One of my favorites as a kid growing up was Jonathan Winters who had many life challenges.

RIP Robin Williams.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

He was a great talent. May he rest in peace now.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    I didn't know Williams was a gamer. Thanks for the link and information.

It's unfortunate that many comedians suffer from depression. One of my favorites as a kid growing up was Jonathan Winters who had many life challenges.

RIP Robin Williams.
    Jim I also read that Jonathan Winters was a role model to Robin Williams when he was just starting out as a comedian.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    Jim I also read that Jonathan Winters was a role model to Robin Williams when he was just starting out as a comedian.
    I've read the same and with the loss of Williams some of this information is coming out in the various obituaries. Williams described Winters as his "Comedy Buddha". What I missed is that Winters passed away just last year?! He was 87 and I thought he had passed some time ago?

It appears Robin was also a video gamer and played a number of games somewhat anonymously. Coverage of this is showing up on many computer and video game websites.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    It's unfortunate that many comedians suffer from depression.
    The list on Wikipedia indicates the depths of the problem -- and I don't think it includes "suicide by lifestyle", either.

We are a depressed bunch, tho' -- I think this about covers the general mindset:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t99KH0TR-J4 ....

Bad news.

I remember a number of good films with him.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Rob

I remember a broadcast he did over Armed Forces Network during Desert Shield/Storm. It had all of us crowded around the radio to listen.