Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Victory & Constitution reverse ship cards?

Default Victory & Constitution reverse ship cards?

This might have been answered, if so, I missed it. What is on the reverse sides of the Victory and Constitution ship cards

Or your best guess.
    Last edited by Gunner; 08-04-2014 at 02:57.

Same ship different year?

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Jörg

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Blozinski View Post
    Same ship different year?
    Very possibel, or simply no 2nd side as they are announced to be "special" ships?
    I think they will surprise us..

Maybe the USS United States. Could use it all the way up to the ACW.

Not sure about the Victory but I would expect United States to be on the reverse side of Constitution. She carried 42-pounder carronades on her spar deck, as did President, instead of the 32-pounders of Constitution which I would expect to give her higher firepower stats. She also had the reputation of poor sailing characteristics which may or may not be reflected. But foremost I would expect her she would be chosen mostly because of her victory over Macedonian while under the command of Stephen Decatur.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

I personally have been strongly advocating for different variant armaments--save the other Humphreys 44s for a main-set release. As it is, we're looking at a five-side release there if it happens: USS President, USS United States, 1814 USS Guerriere, 1814 USS Java, and HMS President with a blank back-side. Lumping Chesapeake in with them I already know a number of people here myself included will throw a s***-fit over, and the only other near-sisters are a group of 1830s Russian frigates built from the British drawings of captured President.

Victory alone has like SEVEN different known armament loads, so I suggested they crunch numbers and do a few of those as different Ship Logs.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Beyond the wealth of material waiting to be implemented there's also the time frame for public interest and competition for gamer dollars to be considered.

There have been several posts on Facebook recently specifically asking Ares about the Victory and Constitution. I think folks are getting antsy for some 'official' update?

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Since they are special releases, I would not put a different ship on the reverse side. I would, however, ensure the mast problem reflected in the Wave 2 first rates is corrected, and that not being simply a matter of packaging. These ships need to be truly special as promised.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Jörg

I hope the make for the "special ships" a bit better look. Maybe that would be a good way to make them Raelly special!

This is the answer I got from Ares,

"the two side of these Cards have the same name (Constitution /Victory) but different stats and dates."

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Anyone know when these ships are supposed to be released (if to the general public)? Being in the Northeast, I really would like to get a Constitution for my collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post

"the two side of these Cards have the same name (Constitution /Victory) but different stats and dates."
    It will be interesting to see what the stat changes will be on Constitution. The 44's were to have 24-pounders on the gun deck and 12-pounders on the FC and QD but it was decided to use 42-pounder carronades in place of the 12-pounders. Constitution received 32-pounder carronades instead, probably due to availability, and she retained these throughout her career. Except for the minor addition or subtraction of guns at each Captain's discretion, Constitution's armament never changed.

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    I would, however, ensure the mast problem reflected in the Wave 2 first rates is corrected, and that not being simply a matter of packaging. These ships need to be truly special as promised.
    What Eric said. Wave 2 masts definitely need to be strengthened.

I would, however, ensure the mast problem reflected in the Wave 2 first rates is corrected, and that not being simply a matter of packaging. These ships need to be truly special as promised.
    We don't want USS Constitution looking like HMS Guerriere!

Name:  andy-thomas-guerriere_big.jpg
Views: 2117
Size:  57.7 KB

However, Guerrierre was a Leda-class frigate, a desendent of the Hebe-class. Some Hebe models with broken masts could come in handy for repaints.
    Last edited by Coog; 08-05-2014 at 16:29.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Bobby, Guerriere was not a Leda--Java was, but Guerriere seems to be a one-off by Lafosse that was originally ordered as a Romaine mortar-frigate--plan changed when the idea of mortar frigates was discredited. Trying to run down data on her engineering and draughts has been my personal Hell ever since Constitution was announced...

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Bobby, Guerriere was not a Leda--Java was, but Guerriere seems to be a one-off by Lafosse that was originally ordered as a Romaine mortar-frigate--plan changed when the idea of mortar frigates was discredited. Trying to run down data on her engineering and draughts has been my personal Hell ever since Constitution was announced...
    You're right, Guerrierre was French built. I was thinking of Shannon. She was a British built Leda. And I believe Java was also French built, of the Pallas-class, formerly Renommée.
    Last edited by Coog; 08-05-2014 at 17:33.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

This is good news. It keeps the ships "special" while allowing some flexibility in using them in various scenarios.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Coog View Post
    You're right, Guerrierre was French built. I was thinking of Shannon. She was a British built Leda. And I believe Java was also French built, of the Pallas-class, formerly Renommée.
    Yes, thank you for catching me--the Pallas class was the final development of the Hebe line, though the Virginies were actually bigger. (Consolante and Armide were both by other designers, but were variations on the basic Sane Medium/Heavy Frigate design family.)

Lengths in meters (fullsize)/mm (miniature), On Gun Deck:
    47.75 1800 FR Consolante 44 (8 built)
    47.4? 1794 FR Virginie 40 (10 built)
    46.99 1804 FR Armide 40 (11 built)
    46.93 1808 FR Pallas 44 (37 built)
    46.77? 1803 FR Hortense 40 (7 built)
    *41.90 1782 FR Hebe/UK Leda & Cydnus (6 Hebe; 30 Leda/Cydnus built - Leda vs. Cydnus difference is wood used)

Ares posted a small update on the KS site. Still a good bit of waiting to do, but at least things are moving forward, and the mast issues are being handled properly.

I am waiting to post the update until I have firm news on the production delivery. We had to solve the problem on the masts, and as you know, this is something we worked on through June and July. We could not go forward with the production of V&C before we were sure what the problem was, and that it was fixed.
    We've now in place two big improvements - one of the packaging, one on the structural design of the masts from now onwward - that will be applied to future productions, including V&C. With the production just started, we expect early production samples in about 4 weeks from now, and the mass production to be done around the end of October to early November. But we'll provide more accurate news going forward.

Sounds like we won't be getting them until next year, taking in consideration shipping.

My money is on time for a Christmas present to myself.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

It's good they decided to address the mast issue beyond a fix on the packaging. But that really moves the receipt of Victory and Constitution, as well as any progress on Wave 2 reprints and the Wave 3 ships, way back.

Makes me think we wont see anything new until next year. Trying to get stuff out during the Holiday Season just doesn't work, as we learned all too well with the KS product releases. Bummer.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Mixed news. I am glad they are correcting the masts; I am saddened at the low prospect of new ships anytime this year or even the first quarter of next year. I hope this game does not slip because of it. I fear folks will move onto other games. I did a KS for a mini-based game, and am still waiting for the remainder of the components to arrive. I was pretty excited about the game, stretch goals, etc. Now, I am not even thinking about it. Similar feelings to the Conflict of Heroes series by Academy Games. Bought the suite at Origins 2013, but the promised new releases haven't been released, while the company has been putting out other game lines. I wonder about CoH's future. Like many, I have started looking at other WWII tactical game series. I don't plan on dropping SoG, but I fear others will.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Mixed news. I am glad they are correcting the masts; I am saddened at the low prospect of new ships anytime this year or even the first quarter of next year. I hope this game does not slip because of it. I fear folks will move onto other games. I did a KS for a mini-based game, and am still waiting for the remainder of the components to arrive. I was pretty excited about the game, stretch goals, etc. Now, I am not even thinking about it. Similar feelings to the Conflict of Heroes series by Academy Games. Bought the suite at Origins 2013, but the promised new releases haven't been released, while the company has been putting out other game lines. I wonder about CoH's future. Like many, I have started looking at other WWII tactical game series. I don't plan on dropping SoG, but I fear others will.
    Agreed. If you don't continue to 'feed the beast' the public quickly moves on to other things. I hope some solo campaigns help carry us through, but I'm not convinced that helps with the general public?

Eric, I just saw this on the BBG GenCon Preview. You might want to check it out?

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/16...n-2014-preview
    http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1...solo-expansion

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Agreed. If you don't continue to 'feed the beast' the public quickly moves on to other things. I hope some solo campaigns help carry us through, but I'm not convinced that helps with the general public?

Eric, I just saw this on the BBG GenCon Preview. You might want to check it out?

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/16...n-2014-preview
    http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1...solo-expansion
    Thanks, Jim. Good to know.

I hope they produce the new campaign expansions soon.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

At this stage, between this, the _Robotech Tactics_ debacle, and Steve Jackson flat-out lying about the _Car Wars_ reboot: Pretty-much the only person whose KS projects I will support is Howard Tayler.

If you don't continue to 'feed the beast' the public quickly moves on to other things. I hope some solo campaigns help carry us through, but I'm not convinced that helps with the general public?
    Your probably right about needing to "feed the beast." I was talking to some guys at the local game store about Star Wars X-wing vs Star Trek Attack
    Wing. Both games basically use the same system. Star Trek Attack Wing was preferred with the main reason given being that the models for the game came out a lot faster and X-wing production was too slow. I had noticed at one time that X-wing had models coming out at a rate of about 4 every six months. I don't think SOG would win them over.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Crack addicts, gotta have regular fresh fixes... they never woulda made it doing AAM or WAS.

Crack addicts, gotta have regular fresh fixes... they never woulda made it doing AAM or WAS.
    Not their type of games anyway...they do seem to be big on Heroclix superheroes though.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Coog View Post
    Your probably right about needing to "feed the beast." I was talking to some guys at the local game store about Star Wars X-wing vs Star Trek Attack
    Wing. Both games basically use the same system. Star Trek Attack Wing was preferred with the main reason given being that the models for the game came out a lot faster and X-wing production was too slow. I had noticed at one time that X-wing had models coming out at a rate of about 4 every six months. I don't think SOG would win them over.
    Well, not with the release schedule that they currently have. But then, we are talking about a relatively new game in Sails of Glory.

I have played Sails with some of my X-Wing players and they do like it, even if the pulling chits out of a bag did not work well for them (we were just learning the game).

And for the record, I lean more towards X-Wing than Attack Wing. The last of scale in Attack Wing bugs me.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I am impressed with X-Wing's minis. I am doing everything I can to refrain from jumping in. My Buddy has the complete collection thus far, so I keep telling myself I don't need these.

I looked at some Star Trek minis, and if they are from the series mentioned here, I think they sacrificed quality for speed of release. That is not something I desire with SoG or WoG.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Tommy

I am impressed with X-Wing's minis. I am doing everything I can to refrain from jumping in. My Buddy has the complete collection thus far, so I keep telling myself I don't need these.

I looked at some Star Trek minis, and if they are from the series mentioned here, I think they sacrificed quality for speed of release. That is not something I desire with SoG or WoG.
    I took that plunge a long time ago (and far, far away). My x-wing collection is quite sizable now.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Z View Post
    I took that plunge a long time ago (and far, far away). My x-wing collection is quite sizable now.
    I also was claimed by the Dark Side. Not as large a collection as SoG, but large enough!

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Z View Post
    I also was claimed by the Dark Side. Not as large a collection as SoG, but large enough!
    I don't need to hear this.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

It's helped me to resist temptation that WizKids, FFG, ST and SW are all dead to me, other than my Star Destroyer collection. If FFG starts releasing the various members of the SD family tree (from Acclamator up through Venator, Victory, Imperial I, Imperial II and SSD) they might get a bite out of my budget, but not until.

WK ST, though... a lot of the figures look like straight re-uses of the old Micro Machines I collected as a kid. I'd say if they were truly serious, they would have licensed one of the various either 1/2500 or 1/7000-scale Japanese "gashapon" Star Trek lines' tooling as a source of miniatures...

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I got bugged with the Star Trek ships in attack wing when I saw that the classic Enterprise was smaller than the Reliant. Supposedly the saucer sections are standard, which means that there is no way that the smaller Reliant should overshadow the Enterprise.

The Star Wars ships are to scale (at least until you get to the transport and the Tantive IV), which is why you probably will never see a star destroyer in that series.

Case in point, one of our X-Wing players built a second Death Star scenario. The typical play area is 3 feet by 3 feet. This layout was at least 12 by 3 and represented only a very small part of the Death Star surface.

I was never much for sci-fi games but your comments and my son's love for the Star Wars movies made me think about trying it out.
    Would picking up the Star Wars X-Wing Miniatures Game Core Set be a good way to get my feet wet??

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I was never much for sci-fi games but your comments and my son's love for the Star Wars movies made me think about trying it out.
    Would picking up the Star Wars X-Wing Miniatures Game Core Set be a good way to get my feet wet??
    I am not much of a Star Wars person, but I found the game to be enjoyable. It is close enough to WoG that either game can be learned in minutes if one plays the other, but there are enough differences that they have different feels. The minis are rather nice, and for me, it is another opportunity to get folks to the table that might not be interested in historical games like SoG or WoG. Again, one of my hopes is that it can serve as a gateway game into WoG and SoG, as well as being a good game in its own right.

If I do ever start collecting the game, the Core Set would be in my first purchase.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Rob

I play entirely to many of these games I have x-wing and attack wing, along with SoG, WGF, WGS. Each one gives me something different when I play it, so I have room for each one.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Absolutely, Ed. Two tie fighters and one X-Wing in the core set will definitely give you a sense of play. Movement is very similar to SoG. One big advantage which has already been mentioned is you roll dice, no chit drawing.

Be warned, however, it's a slippery slope. You'll soon want more than one x-wing, and then there's the Millennium Falcon, tie bomber, tie defender, b-wing, etc. I don't play it a lot, but it is great fun. And I hear rumors that we might see Rebel Aces at GenCon and maybe some more hints at future releases.

Thanks gentlemen. Looks like I'll pick up two sets, one each.

Absolutely, Ed. Two tie fighters and one X-Wing in the core set will definitely give you a sense of play. Movement is very similar to SoG. One big advantage which has already been mentioned is you roll dice, no chit drawing.

Be warned, however, it's a slippery slope. You'll soon want more than one x-wing, and then there's the Millennium Falcon, tie bomber, tie defender, b-wing, etc. I don't play it a lot, but it is great fun. And I hear rumors that we might see Rebel Aces at GenCon and maybe some more hints at future releases.
    How right you are!! I have 3 starter sets (Gunner - 2x starter sets are a bargain over buying individual ties and x-wings), plus extra ties and x-wings, 3x Y-Wings, 1 Tie Advanced (Vader), the Falcon, a Lambda shuttle, 2x Tie interceptors, B-wings, a tie bomber, and I just picked up an e-wing and Tie Phantom from Wave #4. Of course I had to get the huge ships, so I have both the freighter and the Tantive IV corvette. I also have a custom board to play the Death Star trench scene (with turbo lasers ).

This is nothing compared to collections of the serious tournament players. This is why I think the popularity of x-wing will not wane anytime soon, FFG supports a large tournament scene, whereas with ST Attack Wing I don't think this is the case. Bottom line though, it is fun and can be played in less than an hour for a small game.

Incidentally I just supported a KS for digital star field game mats that was funded and due to ship in September. I already have my order! A KS that beat a deadline, a rare thing indeed!

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

It's helped me to resist temptation that WizKids, FFG, ST and SW are all dead to me, other than my Star Destroyer collection. If FFG starts releasing the various members of the SD family tree (from Acclamator up through Venator, Victory, Imperial I, Imperial II and SSD) they might get a bite out of my budget, but not until.

WK ST, though... a lot of the figures look like straight re-uses of the old Micro Machines I collected as a kid. I'd say if they were truly serious, they would have licensed one of the various either 1/2500 or 1/7000-scale Japanese "gashapon" Star Trek lines' tooling as a source of miniatures...
    You are probably going to like this, then.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ed....asp?eidn=4979

The rest of us, we'll probably not like it since it will mean even more money out of our wallets.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Only if I can get the Star Destroyer miniatures without having to buy the whole bloody game. FFG is blacklisted with me for how they screwed over the Wings of War team back in the Nexus days, and Star Wars died for me when Jar Jar Binks arrived. (And don't get me started about Jar Jar Abrams...)

Funny how the FFG forum guys think WoW was "THEIR" line, when all FFG did was English Language Distro. They HAD their chance to in-house it when Nexus (my apologies, Ares team; go ahead and get the Cat o' Nine) went to crap or to keep it by building a business alliance with Ares, and they CHOSE not to...
    Last edited by Diamondback; 08-08-2014 at 23:43.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by ChyronDave View Post

The rest of us, we'll probably not like it since it will mean even more money out of our wallets.
    Oh, damn! I wonder if they'll have any of this at GenCon? I can see the running hordes already if they do!?! (Just read the description fully. . .sounds like demos only as they're still licensing stuff)

I'm glad they've kept the IP in space though. Tom Vassal from Dice Tower was speculating that FFG was going to introduce a ground combat game with AT-AT's, etc.
    Last edited by Nightmoss; 08-08-2014 at 17:01.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Oh, damn! I wonder if they'll have any of this at GenCon? I can see the running hordes already if they do!?! (Just read the description fully. . .sounds like demos only as they're still licensing stuff)

I'm glad they've kept the IP in space though. Tom Vassal from Dice Tower was speculating that FFG was going to introduce a ground combat game with AT-AT's, etc.
    I think they are keeping to space because there has been some clamor for larger ships (that and they have to go to the expanded universe to get ships now for X-Wing). I have not completely read through this, but from the initial look, I don't see how this couldn't be adapted to ground combat as well.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by ChyronDave View Post

Oh to have more time and money. I forwarded this link onto my Buddy. Temptations, temptations.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    How right you are!! I have 3 starter sets (Gunner - 2x starter sets are a bargain over buying individual ties and x-wings), plus extra ties and x-wings, 3x Y-Wings, 1 Tie Advanced (Vader), the Falcon, a Lambda shuttle, 2x Tie interceptors, B-wings, a tie bomber, and I just picked up an e-wing and Tie Phantom from Wave #4. Of course I had to get the huge ships, so I have both the freighter and the Tantive IV corvette. I also have a custom board to play the Death Star trench scene (with turbo lasers ).

This is nothing compared to collections of the serious tournament players. This is why I think the popularity of x-wing will not wane anytime soon, FFG supports a large tournament scene, whereas with ST Attack Wing I don't think this is the case. Bottom line though, it is fun and can be played in less than an hour for a small game.

Incidentally I just supported a KS for digital star field game mats that was funded and due to ship in September. I already have my order! A KS that beat a deadline, a rare thing indeed!
    Eric, are these the mats you are talking about? If so, they look really nice and would be wonderful for X-Wing.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ref=nav_search

Hmmm. . .nevermind that link can't be right?! There are no backers at all?

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I think this might be it: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ref=nav_search

I met these folks this week at our FLGS. They are really nice guys, desirous to make mats to help with game play. We are discussing designs for WoG. I will be doing some survey work on the 'Drome, providing them feedback on sizes and scenery. I will definitely order from them. The mats are pretty nice.

If anyone has interest in a mat, let me know and I will tell them what you're looking for and see what they can do.

I wouldn't mind a large SoG mat with the wind lines added. It would be much easier to set up and use than carrying four mats.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I think this might be it: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ref=nav_search

I met these folks this week at our FLGS. They are really nice guys, desirous to make mats to help with game play. We are discussing designs for WoG. I will be doing some survey work on the 'Drome, providing them feedback on sizes and scenery. I will definitely order from them. The mats are pretty nice.

If anyone has interest in a mat, let me know and I will tell them what you're looking for and see what they can do.

I wouldn't mind a large SoG mat with the wind lines added. It would be much easier to set up and use than carrying four mats.
    Thanks Eric. Those are pretty spectacular images. Some of the X-Wing ships actually look like they're floating above the mat surface.