Thread: The Spanish Navy

Default The Spanish Navy

I started a thread on using existing Ares models as rough substitutes for American ships around 1800 to add a little variety to the game until we can get official, more precise models in size and game statistics. I would like to see even more variety added in the form of substitutes for Spanish ships for the same time period. Unfortunately, I don't have much data on Spanish ships to compile a list of Spanish ships and Ares models that are close enough in size and armament to use as substitutes. I was wondering if anyone else would like to have such a list and if anyone would like to tackle this project?

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Coog View Post
    I started a thread on using existing Ares models as rough substitutes for American ships around 1800 to add a little variety to the game until we can get official, more precise models in size and game statistics. I would like to see even more variety added in the form of substitutes for Spanish ships for the same time period. Unfortunately, I don't have much data on Spanish ships to compile a list of Spanish ships and Ares models that are close enough in size and armament to use as substitutes. I was wondering if anyone else would like to have such a list and if anyone would like to tackle this project?
    I don't have the expertise to tackle this project, but I'd certainly make use of a list that would be posted here for repaints of any of the Ares ships that might match up even marginally. Curiously I just finished reading your latest post on the HMS Sybille, which is sitting in pieces on my workbench. A US repaint hadn't been a consideration, but it is now. Thanks!
    Last edited by Nightmoss; 07-17-2014 at 17:13. Reason: typo

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Bobby, PM me your email--I've been building a spreadsheet of Spanish ship stats for Advance Research that you might find helpful. No tonnages, but gun/main-deck lengths, breadths and armament layouts, along with dates and designer where I've found 'em.

I should note that on my spreadsheets, I generally use DESIGN dimensions rather than As-Built for the sake of easing design comparison. Also, my dates may be a little weird, I only count time available as a WARSHIP. Once a ship is kicked to "Receiving" or Hulk roles, it ceases to be a warship for game purposes and unless it's restored to combat status later it's Game Over right then.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Bobby, PM me your email--I've been building a spreadsheet of Spanish ship stats for Advance Research that you might find helpful. No tonnages, but gun/main-deck lengths, breadths and armament layouts, along with dates and designer where I've found 'em.

I should note that on my spreadsheets, I generally use DESIGN dimensions rather than As-Built for the sake of easing design comparison. Also, my dates may be a little weird, I only count time available as a WARSHIP. Once a ship is kicked to "Receiving" or Hulk roles, it ceases to be a warship for game purposes and unless it's restored to combat status later it's Game Over right then.
    PM sent. Records of tonnages are somewhat unreliable compared to other statistics, so not much lost there.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Tonnages do have a use for quick size comparison--to be honest, the file is built mainly for trying to figure out how far potential sculpts can be stretched for production or reprint, but... I'll get you what I have sometime today, bear in mind it's still a work in progress. Also, Ares just brought in a naval architect from Spain to join the Research Team, so I'm hoping he might be able to help fill in the blanks or find someone who can. (Remember, ThreeDecks isn't always 100% reliable.)

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Also, Ares just brought in a naval architect from Spain to join the Research Team. . .
    How cool is that!!?

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Don't read anything into that, it's probably a coincidence--it sounds like he really made an impression winning the Scenario Contest. Frankly, I'm starting to feel rather the Featherweight... LOL

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Don't read anything into that, it's probably a coincidence--it sounds like he really made an impression winning the Scenario Contest. Frankly, I'm starting to feel rather the Featherweight... LOL
    Oh, then that's José Manuel Moreno Ramos. Not having seen his 'winner' scenario I'll reserve judgement, and there were two winners in that category if I remember correctly?

DB, I'd hardly describe your work as Featherweight. Not in a million years.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Thanks, Jim, but comparative to actually on the drawing boards and working with real steel, my armchair data-mining doesn't seem like quite so much, ya know? LOL

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Thanks, Jim, but comparative to actually on the drawing boards and working with real steel, my armchair data-mining doesn't seem like quite so much, ya know? LOL
    What can I say? Being a retired librarian I know if you don't get the data right, you don't get the rest of it correct either.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

It's also worth noting that if I have enough data copied to local hard-drive, some days I don't even need to roll over in bed to get to work. :D

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I have some info from a book on the Spanish at Trafalgar that I will post throughout the weekend.

Good idea, Bobby.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Ordinary Seaman
    Poland

Log Entries
    Name
    Christophe

Maybe You can find more information about Spanish Fleet in this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Warships-Napol...napoleonic+era

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Hi Bobby,

Ended up spending the weekend on a book project.

I just sent you and email with a .pdf attachment on Spanish ships.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Hi Bobby,

Ended up spending the weekend on a book project.

I just sent you and email with a .pdf attachment on Spanish ships.
    Got it. Thanks.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Let me know if you need anything else.