Thread: Latest on Wave 2 Packaging

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Default Latest on Wave 2 Packaging

Hopefully the breakage issue is solved for the reprints. Still, I hope Ares goes for a more structurally sound approach for the mast/hull connection with wave 3 anyway....

Sails of Glory backers!

We've been working for several weeks on the problem of broken masts in a number of Wave 2 ships, and figuring out possible solutions. Finally, we developed with our suppliers (and extensively tested) a simple but effective way to make sure the ships reach their final destinations intact.
    It was not necessary to change the ship models themselves - when adequately protected, they are able to endure quite a lot of damage, as you see in the video above (sorry for the terrible Italian accent).

We are now completing the production of the ships with new packaging, and we expect to have them available again in our warehouse in September.
    For those of you who ordered the Wave 2 ships from us - remember that you have a choice of a discount on the broken ships you got, or getting a replacement. If you did not tell us your preferred option, please contact our customer care.

(BTW We already issued the refunds to those backers who requested them.)

If you have problems with Wave 2 ships bought in a store - please ask the store manager for a replacement. Our distributors will replace the ships to the store.

Just received this post as well. Hmm, they may blame the packaging all they like but those masts are not as sturdy as wave 1, probably because they shifted to battle sails from full sails and thus lost some of the "bulk" and stability the full sails provided to the mast with the plastic fill between mast and sail. The battle sails put a lot of weight high up the mast with the thin unsupported lower mast thus tending to flex and presumably break at times. Well that's my theory

September for the replacements will probably mean October for them to reach us.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Having played with Wave 2 First Rates, I doubt I will purchase any additional ones unless the masts are changed as well. I don't like the feel of the First Rates as they are, and, I don't trust them enough for convention play. So, this news is a bit disappointing.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

How have the Hebe frigates held up with play?

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I'm glad to see they're addressing part of the problem, but most of us here still feel the mast size and connection to the hulls isn't as good as it was in Wave 1 (and this is primarily for the Wave 2 First Rates). I'll buy more if/when I feel the need because they're still backing the product for replacement purposes. Btw, I received my Paypal refund from Ares yesterday to cover the 3 ships initially damaged in Wave 2.

P.S. So I have to ask where this puts the USS Constitution and HMS Victory? Have we heard anymore from Ares concerning the special edition ships? Then of course I'm also wondering how this timeline affects the Wave 3 release date (whatever that might have been prior to the damage issue)?
    Last edited by Nightmoss; 07-04-2014 at 09:23.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    I'm glad to see they're addressing part of the problem, but most of us here still feel the mast size and connection to the hulls isn't as good as it was in Wave 1 (and this is primarily for the Wave 2 First Rates). I'll buy more if/when I feel the need because they're still backing the product for replacement purposes. Btw, I received my Paypal refund from Ares yesterday to cover the 3 ships initially damaged in Wave 2.
    They never seem to have given any consideration to improving the ship models, which suggests to me that there would have been serious cost issues with retooling the ships. Maybe the second wave ships had already been produced and they didn't want to trash them? But it sure would have been reassuring if they had improved the strength.

Still, I've had the chance to play with them a bit now, and so far so good, so I guess I will give them the benefit of the doubt and fingers crossed...

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    P.S. So I have to ask where this puts the USS Constitution and HMS Victory? Have we heard anymore from Ares concerning the special edition ships? Then of course I'm also wondering how this timeline affects the Wave 3 release date (whatever that might have been prior to the damage issue)?
    Yeah, feed the beast guys!

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Having played with Wave 2 First Rates, I doubt I will purchase any additional ones unless the masts are changed as well. I don't like the feel of the First Rates as they are, and, I don't trust them enough for convention play. So, this news is a bit disappointing.
    I wouldn't use the first rates for conventions, people are careless enough with other peoples stuff as it is. I felt bad for you as it was Eric when I saw one of the players break the mast on one of your ships at Origins because they were juggling it around in there hand.

I put some super glue around the base of the mast for one of my First Rates and that seems to have added some support. It was real wobbly before I did that.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    john

Just hurry up with the ratlines and shrouds for wave s. In the mean time rigging them with ultra fine wire (.008 E guitar string might work) should add alot of suport. After all some of those lines supporting the masts wers mighty thick.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Does anyone know an angler, please, because apparently they use fine bore silicone shrink tubing for making their own hooks and I was wondering whether a short piece of such tubing might be used as a reinforcing mast mounting?