Thread: Proper magnet size for all ships

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Marc

Default Proper magnet size for all ships

I have looked through some of the forums and I have seen the size of 5mm x 4mm, but that seems a little tall, especially for the frigates. I am looking at 4mm diameter x 2mm tall......at any rate, if anyone has any suggestions for a size my ears are open. Thanks for any feedback, as always, it is greatly appreciated!

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tar View Post
    I have looked through some of the forums and I have seen the size of 5mm x 4mm, but that seems a little tall, especially for the frigates. I am looking at 4mm diameter x 2mm tall......at any rate, if anyone has any suggestions for a size my ears are open. Thanks for any feedback, as always, it is greatly appreciated!
    Marc, I use the 1/8 by 1/16 magnets for the ships themselves and the larger magnets for the bases. Here's a link to where I purchased via Amazon, which reminds me that I need to order some more to have on hand for Wave 2 work. Cheers!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/104...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Marc

I finally ended up magnetizing my entire fleet earlier today (now that I look at the clock it was yesterday morning ). I ended up using these (http://www.apexmagnets.com/4mm-x-2mm-disc-544) and they worked like a charm. Even on the smaller ships where you drill through the base layer and there isn't much room to stick a magnet in some places (I guess it really depends on where you put the hole). At any rate the magnets fit like a glove with the drill bit I used and my ships are ALWAYS seated on the base in the correct orientation.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I finally ended up magnetizing my entire fleet earlier today (now that I look at the clock it was yesterday morning ). I ended up using these (http://www.apexmagnets.com/4mm-x-2mm-disc-544) and they worked like a charm. Even on the smaller ships where you drill through the base layer and there isn't much room to stick a magnet in some places (I guess it really depends on where you put the hole). At any rate the magnets fit like a glove with the drill bit I used and my ships are ALWAYS seated on the base in the correct orientation.
    Thanks for the link! Those are really small magnets!? So each set contains 50 magnets? I may try these on the sloops, although the ones I'm using now do work well.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Marc

They are small but work and hold great so far. I was a little concerned about the magnet height so I got the widest ones I could find that I thought would fit the range. Had I drilled into the mini's (and discovered a little more about their construction) prior to ordering I would have probably ordered two different heights. The set does contain 50 magnets. The order processed fast and they arrived quickly. The shipping was almost as much as the magnets though.
    Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 607
Size:  19.4 KB

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Marc

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    I may try these on the sloops
    Here is a look at them installed. For the size they were the strongest and smallest I found in my searching that would fit all the ships I have. I don't own any of the sloops, but I imagine they would work just fine. The only issue would be the height of the magnet and the available area in the sloop mini's. My personal aim was to have the magnets flush with the bottom of the ship, but they may stick out a little proud on the sloops...just something to consider.

Name:  20140713_103255.jpg
Views: 688
Size:  158.3 KB

The install of these was a little sloppier that I would have preferred, but they are done and I won't really be looking at the bottoms too often.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I think these are very close matches to what I got via Amazon. Look here to see the USS Thorn: http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.p...ighlight=thorn

So are you then using magnets in the bases, or steel sheets under the bases? Some folks have installed magnets and then completely removed the plastic plug so the ships site completely flat again the clear plastic shield.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Marc

I also used magnets in the bases.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Marc

I'll also add that I left the pip in the center of the ship to align it in the base. The magnets in the base alighn it pretty dang close to straight. The pull force on the magnets is strong enough that you can pick the ships up by the mast (not that you would really do this) and everything stays together. If I recall correctly these small magnets had almost 2 lbs of pull force....far more that what is needed.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I'll also add that I left the pip in the center of the ship to align it in the base. The magnets in the base alighn it pretty dang close to straight. The pull force on the magnets is strong enough that you can pick the ships up by the mast (not that you would really do this) and everything stays together. If I recall correctly these small magnets had almost 2 lbs of pull force....far more that what is needed.
    Quite so. You really notice the pull force on the small frigates and sloops. It's not as strong on the 1st rates, which is why two magnets is almost mandatory, but the ships really stay in place. I think Erin has photos of his ships upside down, clearly showing how strong his magnet set up is.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Well done, Marc. We are in the process of putting magnets on our ships and the JoAnn Fabric bins we use.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Marc

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Quite so. You really notice the pull force on the small frigates and sloops. It's not as strong on the 1st rates, which is why two magnets is almost mandatory, but the ships really stay in place. I think Erin has photos of his ships upside down, clearly showing how strong his magnet set up is.
    I went for this arrangement on the 1st rates
    Name:  20140714_201533.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  159.6 KB
    I didn't worry about making the attachment on the bottom of the base look nice since I'll never really be looking at it.

The 4mm x 2mm magnets will hold the ships to the bases upside down with no problem at all.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I went for this arrangement on the 1st rates

I didn't worry about making the attachment on the bottom of the base look nice since I'll never really be looking at it.

The 4mm x 2mm magnets will hold the ships to the bases upside down with no problem at all.
    Most excellent! Those ships will stay firmly docked for sure!!

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

That does look sturdy.

The picture made me realize that when I store my SoLs in the bins, I have to put them in at an angle. The magnets could make this a bit problematic.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    That does look sturdy.

The picture made me realize that when I store my SoLs in the bins, I have to put them in at an angle. The magnets could make this a bit problematic.
    One reason I changed my storage from the compartment bins to an open bin with magnetic steel paper to hold magnetized bases. Here is what I am using from Jo Ann's for this:

http://www.joann.com/snapware-plasti...B-34F933B4D715

$19.99 minus 40% discount coupon - they also have storage sales every not and then. With an 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper steel I can fit about 24 ships in the two trays.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Darren

Ugh
    I bought sone 4mmx2mm off of ebay n35 strength.
    I mounted similar to here but even back drilled the underside of the strand.
    I guess n35 aren't strong enough.
    Does a n48 really make that much difference?
    Please let me know. If so I'll buy the n45 and at least replace the bottom on the stands.

NB: I even did multiple magnets on the stand and the ship barely stays but when lifting the base. Forget lifting by the ship.
    Two magnets are on the bottom of the boat.

Thanks

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I put the 5mm x 4mm in the bases; those are rated N35. The 4mm x 2mm go into the ships; those are rated N48. So far I've only used one magnet per ship and one per base, although I'm probably going to add a second set for the first rates.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Darren

Thanks. I had some thoughts on using larger magnets on the bottom as we'll.
    Might be hard for me to remove the magnets in the actual ship though.
    I thinks the larger magnet would work on the base.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Marc

I can't speak to other grades of magnets, but the 4mm x 2mm n48's I used hold like crazy. I am super happy with them!

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    One reason I changed my storage from the compartment bins to an open bin with magnetic steel paper to hold magnetized bases. Here is what I am using from Jo Ann's for this:

http://www.joann.com/snapware-plasti...B-34F933B4D715

$19.99 minus 40% discount coupon - they also have storage sales every not and then. With an 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper steel I can fit about 24 ships in the two trays.
    I just looked at Jo-Ann's online store, and they have a storage container sale at 60% off.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Darren

I can't speak to other grades of magnets, but the 4mm x 2mm n48's I used hold like crazy. I am super happy with them!
    Yesterday I just bought 7mmx3mm n50. Just 2 for $2 from ebay. Plan for the base. I definitely don't want to replace the ship magnets. The larger base magnetic will help. Like have almost 4.5 4mmx2mm magnetic plus the extra pull of being n50.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Jörg

For under the base i ordered this ones:
    https://www.magnet-shop.com/Neodymiu...ive::1530.html

The can be used also when you will fix the base to a box or something elso to storage it as 2 of then is exactly the heigh as the place under the base has.
    So one glued at the base and the opposide one glued at box and they cant be seen at all.

For the models i think will use 4x2 mm Magnets which then will be held by the magnets under the base:
    https://www.magnet-shop.com/Neodymiu...0-g::1293.html

Or maybe for the small ships even smaller ones.

Here is what I used for under the bases. A pack of ten for $4. I used PVA glue and put one per base right in front of the peg hole. They fit and hold perfectly. As noted above I put steel paper in a storage box.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Super-Mag...45HD/202526363

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Cain

I have used small thin flat rectangular magnets in the past for mounting weapons on 40k vehicles, or another thought is using thin metal plates used on the bottom of warhammer fantasy bases and the self adhesive easy to trim, flexible, magnetic sheets. Ima try and see if thats feasible too.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Darren

The 7mmx3mm n50 seems to work well.
    I just ordered more with 1/8"x1/16" n50 disc for the remaining ships