Thread: Anyone out there have a copy of the 1714-1792 BWAS volume?

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Default Anyone out there have a copy of the 1714-1792 BWAS volume?

I'm trying to run down some data on a few ships between dimensions and designs, and not having access to a copy of British Warships in the Age of Sail 1714-1792 I need to put out a call for help. Mostly I'm looking for gundeck length, breadth, burthen, armament and its distribution, and any commentary about designers or ships of related design, along with which ones actually joined the Royal Navy battle-line as opposed to just being hulked or used as base-ships--for example, San Juan Nepomuceno->HMS San Juan may have been taken and sailed to Gibraltar, but as far as I can find she never left that harbor again until heading for the breakers.

Ships that I need info on that I think might be found in there...

Spanish SOL's and Two-Deckers
    1700 to 1703 Santa Teresa 62-gun, capt 1704
    1729 or 1730 Galicia 70-gun, capt 1741
    1745 Conquistador 64-/70-gun by Gaztaneta, capt 1748
    1754 Firme 75, capt 1805
    1768 San Isidro->1797 HMS San Ysidro 74
    1768 San Julian 74, capt 1780

Spanish Frigates
    1753 Venganza 26, capt 1762
    1755 Ventura 26 by Juan Jorge, capt 1762 (need design notes)
    1755 Tetis 22 by Juan Jorge, capt 1762
    1758 Fenix 22, capt 1762
    1767 Santa Catalina 34 by Gautier, capt 1782
    1768 Santa Gertrudis->1804 HMS Santa Gertruda 24
    1770 Nuestra Senora del Carmen->1800 HMS Carmen 34 by Gautier (have dims, looking for design commentary)
    1774 Santa Maria->1779 HMS Santa Maria 34 by Gautier (again, have dims, looking for design notes)
    1776 Santa Dorotea->1798 HMS Santa Dorothea 34
    1780 Santa Clara->1804 HMS Clara 34 by Gautier (ditto)
    1785 Santa Brigida 34 by Manuel, capt 1799
    1785 Santa Maria 34 by Manuel, capt 1799
    1787 Santa Teresa 34 by Gautier, capt 1799 (need anything I can get)
    1787 Santa Florentina->1800 Florentina 34 by Landa (need design commentary, ESP. anything comparing them to Mahonesa/Hamadryad)
    1793 Tetis 34, capt 1799
    1794 Pomona->1806 HMS Cuba 34
    1795 Fama->1804 HMS Fama 34
    1796 Anfitrite->1804 HMS Amphitrite 40
    1797 Medea->1804 HMS Iphigenia->1805 HMS Imperieuse (again, design commentary)
    1797 Hermione 34, capt 1799

French SOL's/Two-Deckers
    1703 Toulouse 62, capt 1711
    SP San Antonio->1800 FR Saint Antione->1801 HMS San Antonio
    1765 Maltese San Zacharia->1798 FR Dego 64, capt 1800
    1774 Solitaire->1782 HMS Solitaire 64
    1777 Caton 64, capt 1782
    1779 Jason->1782 HMS Argonaut 64
    1792 Venetian Vulcano->1797 Causse 70/64, capt 1801
    (will fill in the Frenchies tomorrow)

French Frigates
    (ditto)
    Last edited by Diamondback; 06-25-2014 at 13:40.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Sorry, DB I don't have a copy of this book, but it looks like one I should purchase at some point? There's a digital sample via Barnes & Noble's Nook book, but only 66 pages.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/brit...=9781783469253

All, those Spanish SOL's and Frigates?

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Jim, everything I've listed as I type this message is Spanish SOL's and frigates that were taken by the Royal Navy. Since I just installed Nook Reader software, I'm thinking about plunking down the $30 for the Nook edition--it's a lot more palatable than the hardcopy price, even though I prefer my e-references as PDF for greater portability and ease of printing relevant illustrations. (I mean 17" dual-GPU monster laptops are great for most things, but on the workbench... not so much.)

ThreeDecks is frequently lacking on Spanish ships, so turning to BWAS on captures is like throwing a Hail Mary, hoping that the ships that were taken and documented by the RN will give me some start for playing connect-the-dots and conjecturing out all those in between.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

I have a copy and will take a look for you DB. I'm busy right now so it will take a couple of days.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Thanks, Paul--no hurry, but when you get to it the Spanish SOL's are my highest priority, followed by their French counterparts once I finish getting that list fed in and ThreeDecks strip-mined.

REALLY wish I could just download their entire website to local hard-drive for offline use...

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Jim, everything I've listed as I type this message is Spanish SOL's and frigates that were taken by the Royal Navy. Since I just installed Nook Reader software, I'm thinking about plunking down the $30 for the Nook edition--it's a lot more palatable than the hardcopy price, even though I prefer my e-references as PDF for greater portability and ease of printing relevant illustrations. (I mean 17" dual-GPU monster laptops are great for most things, but on the workbench... not so much.)

ThreeDecks is frequently lacking on Spanish ships, so turning to BWAS on captures is like throwing a Hail Mary, hoping that the ships that were taken and documented by the RN will give me some start for playing connect-the-dots and conjecturing out all those in between.
    And here I was hoping this was research for an Ares wave of Spanish ships?

B&N also had the 1603-1714 volume, same price in digital, but a much high price for the bound volume.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/brit...=9781848320406

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Jim, you KNOW that I can't comment about advance research for future waves. :)

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Jim, you KNOW that I can't comment about advance research for future waves. :)
    Indeed I do. I was just testing the waters. I will refrain from further fishing attempts. :)

Back to your original request I did some more digging trying to find digital copies of this and other Age of Sail books. I then remembered the massive Google Books Project that has been digitizing books by the millions over the last number of years (they've been very busy with academic libraries like UW-Madison). Sure enough they have this book, which you can buy for a bit more than the Nook book version.

http://books.google.com/books?id=Y5W...20sail&f=false

While there's been a bit of flack from book publishers concerning this huge endeavor the amount of material accessible to people who would never have the chance to see a print book is truly astounding. Also, lots of "free" books via Google Books that are in the public domain.

http://books.google.com/bkshp?hl=en&tab=pp

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

I'll start perusing the Google preview, also.

Here you go DB, this is all I could find on the captured Spanish from the book. Tried to scan the data but the spine made it difficult, so I photographed the pages, cropped them and shrank the files a bit. Hope this works! They are numbered in sequence and need to be read as such as some photos are the second part of the detail of the the preceding entry.
    Attached Images Attached Images             

OK they worked sort of, the first two images need to be read in reverse otherwise everything else looks to be in the right order.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Thanks, Daniel--it's a help, though mostly in confirming what ThreeDecks has. I find it curious how the RN documented ships taken from some countries better than others... (For example, most French ships have commentary on the design and on sister ships, but the Spanish there's very little such commentary.)

Also, the Google Books preview helped fill in a lot of the blanks on French 64's. Trying to persuade the Benacounters to pry loose the budget for me to spring for the Nook editions of the complete set... I know I've said this before, but you KNOW there's something wrong with your family when they trust you to handle the responsibility of deadly weapons or dangerous machinery but not that of managing your own money. (And then they turn around and have you listed as co-accountholder on all their bank accounts complete with credit/debit cards on them...)
    Last edited by Diamondback; 06-25-2014 at 13:44.