Thread: D.I.Y. Lightbox

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Default D.I.Y. Lightbox

After some discussions here on white balance, photography, plus some links Keith provided on lighting and photos from the Aerodrome I decided I wanted to build my own inexpensive light box. There are many DIY projects listed on the Internet and just as many YouTube videos. I found this one to be the quickest and least expensive. I didn't use a cardboard box, but foam board that I can hold together with painters tape and then knock down so it's flat when not taking pictures. The cotton t shirts really work well and you don't have to worry about punching holes through it like tissue paper. Having the right settings on the camera makes a huge difference plus having sufficient light to create the diffuse shadowless light. I'm still experimenting with the light and settings. That will take more practice. Cheers!

Here's the Aerodrome link: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...=white+balance

And the quick DIY Lightbox creation:

Here are the results from yesterday. It was fun building the box, but more fun taking the photos. I'd encourage anyone to give it a go.

Name:  LB1.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  110.3 KB
    Name:  LB2.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  107.0 KB
    Name:  LB3.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  73.4 KBName:  LB4.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  82.2 KB

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Looking much better Jim!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    I just didn't want to be seen as the, "Thread Pirate Roberts" and get too far off topic.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Awesome results Jim! Thank you for the post.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Very nice, Jim. Sue tried taking some pictures of stuff we used at Origins the other day so I can post here, but she had such problems with lighting. I will show her this thread.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Very nice, Jim. Sue tried taking some pictures of stuff we used at Origins the other day so I can post here, but she had such problems with lighting. I will show her this thread.
    In case she doesn't already know have her check the camera itself to see if the "White Balance" is set to Auto, Indoor or Outdoor. That adjustment alone can have a big impact and I got that knowledge here from Keith and others.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    In case she doesn't already know have her check the camera itself to see if the "White Balance" is set to Auto, Indoor or Outdoor. That adjustment alone can have a big impact and I got that knowledge here from Keith and others.
    I'll let her know.

We have discussed, and now need to pull the trigger on, purchasing a new camera, something with more ability to control the shots, swap lenses, etc. Basically, I think we have outgrown our current one.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I'll let her know.

We have discussed, and now need to pull the trigger on, purchasing a new camera, something with more ability to control the shots, swap lenses, etc. Basically, I think we have outgrown our current one.
    You don't need to spend a fortune to get a camera that has some nice options. If you don't take a lot of photos normally I wouldn't go overboard on pricey specs. Save the money for ships, planes and games!

Btw, are you still working on the Origins Report? I'm very curious to hear how it all went and your view towards the future.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Sue takes a lot of shots for making cards that she sells at a Farmer's Market. We also use ours for AARs, though it is tough getting area shots. This is one reason we didn't bother taking photos at Origins, another being I was busy most of the time during games, but I might have been more energetic to take photos if I believed they would have been decent. I think once we have a better camera, it will see more use as our ability to take quality photos increases. It is hard to be creative when the tool is limiting, though that sounds incorrect. One would think creativity is what pushes beyond apparent limits. In this case, though, the limits are not apparent but real. Hmmm. It is too late to start waxing philosophical. However, is it ever too late to wax philosophical? What does too late mean? Hmmm.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Sue takes a lot of shots for making cards that she sells at a Farmer's Market. We also use ours for AARs, though it is tough getting area shots. This is one reason we didn't bother taking photos at Origins, another being I was busy most of the time during games, but I might have been more energetic to take photos if I believed they would have been decent. I think once we have a better camera, it will see more use as our ability to take quality photos increases. It is hard to be creative when the tool is limiting, though that sounds incorrect. One would think creativity is what pushes beyond apparent limits. In this case, though, the limits are not apparent but real. Hmmm. It is too late to start waxing philosophical. However, is it ever too late to wax philosophical? What does too late mean? Hmmm.
    I don't know? If you wax philosophically in the forest and there's no one around to hear you, is it ever too late? Or, do you just think you're waxing philosophically, alone, in the forest?

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

If a husband says something in a forest and no one is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

If a husband says something in a forest and no one is around to hear him, is he still wrong?
    I think you know the answer to that. lol.

Nice work with the photos Jim, no green atmospheric hue anymore

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

and now need to pull the trigger on, purchasing a new camera,
    You mean "push the button".... ;)

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Alright, no more waxing one's self in this thread... alone or in groups.
    I just didn't want to be seen as the, "Thread Pirate Roberts" and get too far off topic.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by The Royal Hajj View Post
    Alright, no more waxing one's self in this thread... alone or in groups.
    Yes, sir!

Say, I made a stop at Office Max yesterday and picked up a poster sheet that is light blue sky and clouds. Will be trying that out when I set up the light box again. Results could be interesting?

http://www.officemax.com/office-supp...nR0PXBvc3RlcnM

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Backdrops can add a lot to mini photos. Just be mindful that your minis don't cast any shadows on it ;)

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by The Royal Hajj View Post
    Backdrops can add a lot to mini photos. Just be mindful that your minis don't cast any shadows on it ;)
    lol. I also picked up a brighter light to help diffuse any shadows.

Midshipman
    Netherlands

Log Entries
    Name
    Thijs

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    Yes, there are some very nice ones you can purchase premade. Some even knock down so they're portable, but many have high price tags for the use I would get out of them. I should figure out just how much I spent, but I would guess it was under $35.00 and that includes 3 new lamps and bulbs.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I thought it might be appropriate to post a photo of the DIY Lightbox I made as I just finished putting some AA ratlines on the Austerlitz. See below. I'll post the rest on the AA Brass RL Accessories thread. Cheers!

Name:  DIYLightbox.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  80.8 KB
    Name:  DSC01136.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  116.4 KB