Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Default Veer 5 into the wind

Another rule help please chaps

A ship plays a veer 5 straight move.
    Next turn the wind changes and now the ship is into the wind and has to play the veer 5 red border card ( move ahead slightly)
    Next turn still into the wind the ship has to play the second veer 5 red card, which is straight back.
    Am I correct in saying the affected ship now will only move straight back each movement until the wind changes?
    Here if going straight (veer5) and then into the wind, with no wind change the affected ship can only move backwards from the second turn, this could mean the ship could leave the playing area , backwards if no wind change.
    Surely this cannot be correct?

No, because every turn you choose a new maneuver card, even if you are going into the wind. It then gets converted into a red card if you are in a taken aback situation.

So in effect you can control what red card will get played (at least if your masts are healthy). If you WANT to keep going backwards, you can keep choosing veer-5 maneuver cards. But if you want to turn away from the wind, then you can choose any turn maneuver, and it will convert into the appropriate 4- or 6+ red card

this is probably the most common question on the game

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Is this correct?
    I was under the impression the Red card to be used was the first card that took you into the wind, not the proposed next card

Midshipman
    Netherlands

Log Entries
    Name
    Thijs

Fred's statement is correct

In the basic game you can just choose one of the 3 red cards,
    In the standard and advanced game the card you use depends on the maneuver card you have to play that turn.
    So you are only taken aback that way If you keep choosing the veer 5 cards....
    Otherwise you will turn away from the wind when playing a planned card that isnt veer 5

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Thanks guys, makes sence, appreciate the elp

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

This was a tricky thing to teach at Origins when we used the two-card system. I think a few of the players started to understand how they could use being taken aback for positioning, and how the choice of the second card is critical to that; it takes a bit of spacial imagination. I have seen folks use the wind this way to great effect, and when they do, it is something to behold. I think for beginning players, it is important to recognize sailing into the wind isn't automatically a negative thing. it all depends upon one's goal.

One thing I pointed out about not planning the red cards is that the wind could change when using wind changes, so you always have to plan a non-red card.

I am amazed at how much I am learning about sailing from this game.

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    This was a tricky thing to teach at Origins when we used the two-card system. I think a few of the players started to understand how they could use being taken aback for positioning, and how the choice of the second card is critical to that; it takes a bit of spacial imagination. I have seen folks use the wind this way to great effect, and when they do, it is something to behold. I think for beginning players, it is important to recognize sailing into the wind isn't automatically a negative thing. it all depends upon one's goal.

One thing I pointed out about not planning the red cards is that the wind could change when using wind changes, so you always have to plan a non-red card.

I am amazed at how much I am learning about sailing from this game.
    Now you just have to go out and try the real thing, after all you are in a great U.S. sailing venue!!

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    Now you just have to go out and try the real thing, after all you are in a great U.S. sailing venue!!

I wouldn't mind trying the real thing, but I think my stomach would. Something tells me that seasickness would be an operable word. I think I could get over my fear of water if my mind was heavily engaged. That's one of the things growing up in the city - not too many opportunities to learn how to swim or to go boating, especially when we were growing up. The more I learn about sailing through these games and history books, the more fascinating it becomes. I would love to watch a crew work the sails on an SoL or some such boat. Those captains must have really known their stuff.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Bear in mind that Nelson suffered from seasickness, and he still went sailing...

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    Bear in mind that Nelson suffered from seasickness, and he still went sailing...
    Yes, but he was paid to do so.

I wonder how long it takes for a true landsman to develop sea legs.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

A long time!!!!

(speaking from experience)

I have sailed on yachts and stuff a few times - never really got the knack of it although I love it - but there's something about gliding across the water with just the wind to carry you...

Sailed on an America's Cup yacht in the Hauraki Gulf (Auckland's greater harbour/bay) - and it was nice experience - hard damn work on the grinders though - I helped raise the mainsail initially at the start and it was hard work - especially when you are almost knackered and the skipper yells out "great work, you're half-way there, keep going"!!

Our boat for the match race - this was the French contender back in 1995 (opponent is the Japanese boat)
    Name:  Americas_Cup_2006_108.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  141.2 KB

I'm in the grey shirt & black cap left-centre - having a rest from the grinders...
    Name:  Americas_Cup_2006_106.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  125.6 KB

It got a little competitive...
    Name:  Americas_Cup_2006_112.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  126.7 KB

Sailing past Rangitoto Island (a volcano for those who aren't familiar)
    Name:  Americas_Cup_2006_119.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  78.8 KB

Heading downwind on the second leg... We are on NZL41 and in the lead!
    Name:  Americas_Cup_2006_121.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  139.4 KB

Awesome!!!

Wait I thought all Kiwis were born with sea legs!

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    Wait I thought all Kiwis were born with sea legs!
    Ummm, apparently...

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

You haven't lived till you've spent 34 straight days on a Tin Can (Destroyer) in Gale Force 9 conditions above the Artic Circle! That's when you get Sea Legs!!!
    "War is the greatest game Man can play!" BG George B. McClellan

Quote Originally Posted by John Paul View Post
    You haven't lived till you've spent 34 straight days on a Tin Can (Destroyer) in Gale Force 9 conditions above the Artic Circle! That's when you get Sea Legs!!!

Thank Heavens I don't have sea legs then!!

The red cards are the most fun of all.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

A quick trip to your local yacht club or a marina on a Wednesday or Thursday around 5:30, and you could find out. Folks are always looking for crew for the weekday beer can races, with or without experience (bring beer).
    Last edited by Dobbs; 03-19-2015 at 04:34.