Thread: Premiere of new pirate T.V. show - Crossbones

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Default Premiere of new pirate T.V. show - Crossbones

The premiere episode of Crossbones can be seen here: http://www.hulu.com/watch/642978

Off to watch it.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Saw the trailer on my computer. No TV at the moment so you'll have to post a review.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Different from what I expected. So far, more espionage fighting on the high seas.

The two main characters acted well; the rest seemed somewhat forced in terms of their personalities and roles.

I will definitely watch the next few episodes; often with new shows, it take a half of a season to find their rhythm and for the characters to become less caricatures and more believable.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Blackjohn

The costuming is ATROCIOUS! Ohmygod... it is sooooo very bad I almost turned it off after the opening credits. The only thing that kept me watching was how much I like both Malkovich and Richard Coyle.

And... those two did a great job of bringing life to the show. If it wasn't for them, I would never have kept watching. Will the two of them be able to carry the series? Unlikely, but I'll give it another shot next week.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Delaney

I think it should be called Bleachedbones, The adventures of White Chin Whiskers, cause it sure as Hel not Blackbeard. That alone turned me WAY off

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Saw the trailer on my computer. No TV at the moment so you'll have to post a review.
    No TV?! Couldn't you have the Professor make you something out of coconuts and palm fronds?

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Blozinski View Post
    No TV?! Couldn't you have the Professor make you something out of coconuts and palm fronds?
    lol. Well the TV died last November and I'm not a big TV viewer anyway, so it's not been replaced. Eventually, but I have these hobbies to keep me occupied anyway.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Hulu does not stream video outside the U.S.A., Eric, so I will have to wait to watch the show.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    lol. Well the TV died last November and I'm not a big TV viewer anyway, so it's not been replaced. Eventually, but I have these hobbies to keep me occupied anyway.
    TV is just a passing fad anyway Jim. Hobbies are forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Mary_Read View Post
    I think it should be called Bleachedbones, The adventures of White Chin Whiskers, cause it sure as Hel not Blackbeard. That alone turned me WAY off
    Sounds like he needs to take some advice from Emmitt Smith:

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Cmmdre View Post
    TV is just a passing fad anyway Jim. Hobbies are forever!
    For sure. I had hobbies long before I was a TV viewer (back then it was boring black and white anyway)!

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Hulu does not stream video outside the U.S.A., Eric, so I will have to wait to watch the show.
    If I can find another acceptable link, I will post it.

I hope the writers will add depth to the characters, otherwise, the show will be a waste of time, given its other deficiencies. For example, Malkovich had a few scenes in which he issued pretty convincing threats. If they continue to use that device, it will rapidly lose it effect. The sexual tension/flirtatious interchanges between one of the leads and supporting actress easily could lead to a soap operatic (dis)quality, even if they use it for a plot hook for later episodes. Time will tell if this series has staying quality.

David, while looking for another link for you, I came across this discussion on the first episode (I have not watched it, so no opinion, as of yet): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgwpXw53UC8

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

David, here is another link. Let me know if this works: http://www.nbc.com/crossbones/video/...nion/2784545#i

A very disappointing Pirate flick.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    A very disappointing Pirate flick.
    Yeah; I will give this several more viewings. If it doesn't improve, I doubt it will last. I have seen several shows where the first few episodes were weak, but the writers and actors then caught their stride, and the shows turned out enjoyable. I hope this does the same.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Thank you for the second link, Eric, but that does not work either. When I click on the video there is a spoken message saying,"This content is currently not available".

I have watched the trailer on Youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary_Read View Post
    I don't know who did the casting but, I hope she/he doesn't get another age of sail offer.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Blackjohn

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Yeah; I will give this several more viewings. If it doesn't improve, I doubt it will last. I have seen several shows where the first few episodes were weak, but the writers and actors then caught their stride, and the shows turned out enjoyable. I hope this does the same.
    That's my lay of it too, Eric. There is a slight chance for hope, but... given the time slot, and the fact that it is a summer show, I wouldn't be surprised if the network intends for it to die.

Maybe we'll get lucky, and someone, someday, will put a decent pirate show on HBO.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I just watched the second episode of Crossbones. Having watched an inning of baseball earlier today, suffice it to say that the count on this new series is 0 and 2. The third episode will determine if the series has struck out, is still at bat, or is on base.

Where to begin? Crossbones is somewhat like Apocalypse Now meets Pirates of the Caribbean meets Lost meets Sopranos, but without any of the good parts. Oh, and I did I mention, without anything to do with the Age-of-Sail?
    Last edited by 7eat51; 06-09-2014 at 21:38.

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    I just watched the second episode of Crossbones. Having watched an inning of baseball earlier today, suffice it to say that the count on this new series is 0 and 2. The third episode will determine if the series has struck out, is still at bat, or is on base.

Where to begin? Crossbones is somewhat like Apocalypse Now meets Pirates of the Caribbean meets Lost meets Sopranos, but without any of the good parts. Oh, and I did I mention, without anything to do with the Age-of-Sail?
    I'm starved for an Age of Sail flick but, I don't think I'll waste anymore time on this series. I tip my cover to your patience.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Blackjohn

I started to watch the second episode, but got sidetracked. Maybe I'll give it a go this evening.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Delaney

Glad I did not waste an hour on it. But I knew when it was about the Dreaded pirate White Chin Whiskers, it was going to flop. No fan of Blackbeard in his right mind would follow it. Now Black Sails? Much better and you get some ship action

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Blackjohn

Much better? Really? I couldn't get past the first episode of Black Sails. The costuming was just as crappy, and the writing was "meh."

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    I'm starved for an Age of Sail flick but, I don't think I'll waste anymore time on this series. I tip my cover to your patience.
    I'd queue up the Hornblower series for rewatching, or even better pull out the Master & Commander DVD!

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Blackjohn

I'll drink to that!

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    I'd queue up the Hornblower series for rewatching, or even better pull out the Master & Commander DVD!

From time to time I do play them all, including the Sharpe series.