Thread: Wave 2 Mast Repair

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Maybe they should be sold at a discount on Scratch & Dent "As Is" terms. :) I'd be tempted to buy whatever defective copies I could get from Waves 1 and 2 to experiment on or make derelicts, wrecks, etc, out of...
    Oh, I suggested just that to Ares (Roberto I believe), but it entails too many shipping, logistical, billing issues, etc. Now if they'd let us into the warehouse?!

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Simple fix, just sell Keith the whole lot of everything found defective to list at the Anchorage.

Midshipman
    Netherlands

Log Entries
    Name
    Thijs

Haha I agree on that! Havent placed any preorders so how long would it take to get some hands on wave2 ships....

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Simple fix, just sell Keith the whole lot of everything found defective to list at the Anchorage.
    True enough!

Just repaired my three broken masts with superglue and reinforced some others with the same. They all seem to be holding well. Only issue I had was one of the first rate foremasts is cantered back too far now, so I might need to re-break it and do it all again.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

I do have a nice stack of broken ships in my office :(

I can see Ares' point of view though. There would be no way for them to be able to track which broken ships were bought as "wrecks" and which were truely "broken" ships. someone could buy a bunch of wrecks and then have Ares replace them for free as "broken".
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    I just didn't want to be seen as the, "Thread Pirate Roberts" and get too far off topic.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Right--it'd have to be some kind of additional marking on the package, including a pre-sale agreement that "By purchasing this product, you agree that it is sold AS IS, with no warranty or exchanges of any kind."

Which is why I suggested AA as the sole clearing-house--Ares gets some recovery of sunk-costs out of otherwise write-offs, and you get an exclusive product. Maybe Defects could be sold repacked as just a plain white package without fancy artwork and just a sticker label about what's in the box...

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

But what would stop people from putting it in a real box, snapping a pick of it and say "hey my ship is broke". I just don't see any way around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    I just didn't want to be seen as the, "Thread Pirate Roberts" and get too far off topic.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Hmmm... have to somehow mark the miniature, maybe White-Out across the entire hull bottom.

Crowdsource Challenge: How could we indelibly mark a non-standard mini such that a fraudster couldn't present it as one covered under warranty? Maybe cut ALL the masts, bowsprit/jib and flagpole off a Defect and note "you want it, YOU figure out how to reassemble it"?

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Sounds to me like I should adopt this plan, pray for breaks in 100% of Wave 2 Set 1, and that way get W2 Set 2 for free... the Beancounters are already questioning my forthcoming purchase of ONE set.
    I'd prefer to wait, and get minis which were built properly in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by The Royal Hajj View Post
    But what would stop people from putting it in a real box, snapping a pick of it and say "hey my ship is broke". I just don't see any way around it.
    See if Ares will set up a cut off date to file for damaged ship replacements. Then have a damaged ship sale at the Anchorage.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    See if Ares will set up a cut off date to file for damaged ship replacements. Then have a damaged ship sale at the Anchorage.

Based on kickstarter comments, a key approach by Ares to make people comfortable with the breakage and wiggly masts is that they will replace any time in the future

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Question: How many defective ships have come in with more than one broken mast?

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Quote Originally Posted by fredmiracle View Post
    Based on kickstarter comments, a key approach by Ares to make people comfortable with the breakage and wiggly masts is that they will replace any time in the future
    How do you get the replacement masts? Would someone sale them? This would start people thinking of model kits again and not from box to table. Which is the whole point of SOG, or have I missed some thing?
    Be safe
    Rory

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Rory, I think that means replace the entire pack, not separate masts. :)

Quote Originally Posted by fredmiracle View Post
    I haven't seen anything like that posted by Ares. Replacement without return anytime in the future would be suicide.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    I haven't seen anything like that posted by Ares. Replacement without return anytime in the future would be suicide.
    It seemed that way to me too, but this is how I interpreted their posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ares
    Whether it's now or later, we'll replace broken ships. I am quite sure that with normal care, any ship that arrives unbroken, we'll stay that way. But we'll handle replacements whenever necessary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares
    normally our customer care does not ask a ton of questions. If you write us and say your ship is broken, they replace it. However, I am sure this "hidden damage" question is very unlikely to happen. I made some severe stress tests (say - get the ship thrown 5 meters against a wall) on the ships I have here. If they did not break in the transit, they don't break. So it's VERY unlikely they break with normal use. If they do... we'll replace them. Just promise you keep the dog away from them :-)
    EDIT: and I have to say, on the plus side, this does make me say to myself--even if I'm still a bit worried about these ships in the long term, what more could I ask of Ares to put my mind at ease?
    Last edited by fredmiracle; 05-29-2014 at 20:28.

None? every one of the several dozen I've seen mentioned on BGG, KS and here has been foremast

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

None that I can recall. It always seems to be one mast only?

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by The Royal Hajj View Post
    Cut a big hole in the bottom of every hull with a power drill and do something similar to the box? Publishers do something similar with books they take out of stock; remainder books are inked or punched so they're not considered 'new' anymore. The still show up in used book stores, bargain stores and online.

Of course based on the latter posts here, you and the warehouse will probably have to destroy all the defective ships. If they ever get out in the world someone could ask for replacement and it sounds like Ares will do it?

Kickstarter update:

And just to make you sure we are not forgetting about battle-worn ships with broken masts..

UPDATE ON WAVE 2 ISSUES

We are swapping drop-tests videos, packaging measurements, and other various elements of analysis with our factory, and we think we have nailed down the problems affecting the Wave 2 ships.

Fortunately we had in progress a new production batch, and we are still in time to fix that production to avoid this issue.

We only ask you to be patient. We want to send replacements from the new stock, to avoid compounding errors. Getting this production batch finished and sent to our warehouse will require 2-3 months, though,

In the meantime you are welcome to enjoy as much as you can playing with your damaged ships. We will not ask them back!

AS AN OPTION - if you do not want a replacement, but you fixed or intend to fix the broken masts yourself, we are willing to offer a discount ($ 7 per ship) on your broken ships - as an alternative to replacing them. If you are interested, please write to sales[at]aresgames.eu indicating that you want a discount instead of a replacement.

Please note - The discount offer is valid only if you accept that ALL your broken ships are handled in this way.

Thanks for your patience and your support.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    None that I can recall. It always seems to be one mast only?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Cut a big hole in the bottom of every hull with a power drill and do something similar to the box? Publishers do something similar with books they take out of stock; remainder books are inked or punched so they're not considered 'new' anymore. The still show up in used book stores, bargain stores and online.
    Hence my suggestion about cutting all three masts off and selling it as "Parts Kit". If it's only ONE that breaks in shipping, and Ares sees a photo of one with all three trimmed off...

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Hence my suggestion about cutting all three masts off and selling it as "Parts Kit". If it's only ONE that breaks in shipping, and Ares sees a photo of one with all three trimmed off...
    Good point! Three cut masts means no new ship. I like it.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Folks, I hate to be the bearer of some bad news, but when opening my second Santa Ana to see if they'd done a slightly better job of placing the stern decal in place I found that her foremast was completely sheared off the deck. I immediately opened up all of the other boxes I'd received and unfortunately found another ship with a broken foremast; the Real Carlos. So, out of 24 ships, two had broken masts. These were five minute fixes for me as I have the tools and equipment to make it happen.

In my opinion I don't think these are packaging problems. If I had to guess I might suggest that someone in too big of a hurry placing the protective plastic shield in place actually severed the foremasts? I suppose the plastic used could also be an issue, but I doubt it.

I've included a series of photos just for the record. The fixes duplicate what I've done before for the wave 2 ships.

Name:  DSC02568.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  177.2 KB

Name:  DSC02569.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  166.9 KB

Name:  DSC02570.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  176.0 KB

Name:  DSC02571.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  170.5 KB

Name:  DSC02572.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  180.1 KB

Name:  DSC02573.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  172.1 KB

Name:  DSC02574.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  138.5 KB

Name:  DSC02575.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  143.7 KB
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for that bit of info Jim.
    If you send the pictures with a complaint to Ares you should get them replaced. They usually don't want the broken ones back either.
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Thanks Rob. That's good information for folks who cannot, or do not, want to take the time to fix the masts themselves. With repairs done both my ships are just as good (if not stronger) than the originals.

Knowing that Ares stands behind their models is an excellent point.
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

When I opened my ships yesterday only one had the dreaded Formast rot.
    Here it is.

Name:  IMG_3773.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  201.5 KB

Here also is my five minute repair method using paper clip and Super Glue.

Take a needle file and file the mast flat and square.

Name:  IMG_3775.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  183.9 KB
    Using a fine No.78 drill or similar and Pin vice make a pilot hole in the center of the mast.

Name:  IMG_3774.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  173.7 KB
    Repeat for the stub in the deck.

Then open both holes up to drill size 66.

Name:  IMG_3776.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  169.0 KB
    Super glue in a paper clip to the mast section.

Name:  IMG_3777.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  184.7 KB
    Trim to length.

Name:  IMG_3778.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  138.7 KB
    Add glue and slip into the Deck stub ensuring squareness in all planes.

Name:  IMG_3779.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  152.0 KB

Job done.

Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Nicely done. Was this a First Rate? Both broken masts for me were the Spanish First Rates.
    –English Proverb

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Jim, looks like it hit a 74.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

It was the San Augustin. All the First Rates were O.K.
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Jim, looks like it hit a 74.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    It was the San Augustin. All the First Rates were O.K.
    Rob.
    Thanks for the info. I was hoping the breakage was limited to the larger First Rates? No such luck I guess.
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I think it was just pot luck Jim. Let's wait and see what other reports come in.
    Rob.