Thread: Russian Napoleonic Galley

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Default Russian Napoleonic Galley

Hi All,
    I thought you all may like to see my newly made 1-1200 scale Russian galley. It was O.K. to paint as it was so small. But the Rigging had to be done differently.The fore stays and the rigging holding the yards to the masts is done with the old and tested thread and knot way. All the back stays and running rigging I did with brush bristles. I had no room to drill holes or add rings to the hull so this was the only way to do it. I hope you like it.

Name:  Nadezhda, Large Russian galley 001.jpg
Views: 1139
Size:  177.8 KB

Name:  Nadezhda, Large Russian galley 002.jpg
Views: 1563
Size:  136.9 KB

Name:  Nadezhda, Large Russian galley 003.jpg
Views: 1165
Size:  114.2 KB

Name:  Nadezhda, Large Russian galley 004.jpg
Views: 1206
Size:  115.0 KB

Name:  Nadezhda, Large Russian galley 005.jpg
Views: 1343
Size:  118.2 KB

I have added a 1-1200 scale Shebek ( a 6th rate rowing 28 gun ship) and a 74 3rd rate ship to show the size of the galley

Name:  Nadezhda, Large Russian galley 006.jpg
Views: 1268
Size:  159.9 KB

Be safe
    Rory
    Last edited by Devsdoc; 05-12-2014 at 18:07.

Midshipman
    Netherlands

Log Entries
    Name
    Thijs

Nicely done! I really need to learn how to do some rigging myself with the rope and knot way... You know any good tutorials?

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Very nice, Rory!! Knowing nothing about Russian galleys am I correct in guessing these operated exclusively in the Black Sea, or maybe the Mediterranean?

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    Nicely done! I really need to learn how to do some rigging myself with the rope and knot way... You know any good tutorials?
    Yes! Thijs,
    Mine! I had a thread on How to do it with photo's. but it was loss in the big hack. I have ask it to be re-posted and I'm still waiting to hear from the head-shipmates here. Go to Rod Langton's site and look for his How to rig and paint 1-1200 scale ships book. It cost about £10 plus post, but is the best £10 you can spend.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Very nice, Rory!! Knowing nothing about Russian galleys am I correct in guessing these operated exclusively in the Black Sea, or maybe the Mediterranean?
    Thanks Jim,
    No! they saw a lot of action against the Swedes as well, who also used them in the Baltic. Both Nations had what is called inshore fleets. The fleets worked under the command of the armies, and helped support landings and island hopping. The shores of Finland was the main theater of war for the galley's and lots of smaller war ships in the Baltic. All of the Mediterranean Nations had and used Galleys in the time of the Napoleonic wars.
    Be safe
    Rory

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Devsdoc View Post
    Thanks Jim,
    No! they saw a lot of action against the Swedes as well, who also used them in the Baltic. Both Nations had what is called inshore fleets. The fleets worked under the command of the armies, and helped support landings and island hopping. The shores of Finland was the main theater of war for the galley's and lots of smaller war ships in the Baltic. All of the Mediterranean Nations had and used Galleys in the time of the Napoleonic wars.
    Be safe
    Rory
    Thanks Rory. I just learned something I wouldn't ever have guessed.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    James

Beautiful work Rory, and and thanks for showing such a neat looking ship. I'd never seen one of those before. Thanks for the comparison shot with the 74 and the frigate too, nice to see how the galleys stack up in size. Otherwise I would have guessed the galleys must be smaller.

Nice modelling Rory! I'm surprised at how large the galley is they clearly were not small vessels.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Quote Originally Posted by Whitejamest View Post
    Beautiful work Rory, and and thanks for showing such a neat looking ship. I'd never seen one of those before. Thanks for the comparison shot with the 74 and the frigate too, nice to see how the galleys stack up in size. Otherwise I would have guessed the galleys must be smaller.
    Quote Originally Posted by Berthier View Post
    Nice modelling Rory! I'm surprised at how large the galley is they clearly were not small vessels.
    Hi Both,
    It is classed as a large 3 mast Russian galley. Langton's do a smaller 2 mast Swedish galley too. This I have but not done yet. It will be on my slip-way soon. I think both types were used by both sides. After doing the galley I have started a frigate (Swedish 40 gun) God! it feels so big to work on, so much room!
    Be safe
    Rory

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Great work, Rory.

I, too, am a bit surprised at the size of the galley.

2nd Lieutenant
    Serbia

Log Entries
    Name
    Heмaњa

Interesting model!

Just some trivia: Nadezhda (Надежда) in Russian means "Hope".

Thanks for the picks Rory. Keep that Russian navy growing.

Great work, Rory.

If I remember right, it was a Hornblower book where they met with a Spanish galley and they complaint about the smell.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Being on a big Ship of the Line becalmed and seeing and smelling a number of these big boys rowing towards your bow or stern. Must have been one of the most heart stopping things to see. Up to four 24 pdr cannons at the bow and your teeth useless as they keep out of your firing arc. Maybe you would have the odd stern/bow Chaser. Just one hit would sink a galley, but after a number of hits into your bow/stern. Your Chasers would be up-ended, and the number of dead and wounded grow below decks. Not a good time for you. After hours of pounding the large galley,s crew would board you, or sit back and watch you sink. The fun of war. Size does not matter.
    Be safe
    Rory

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Nice work, Rory. Are those oars made from matches?

Wouldn't the captain of a becalmed Ship of the Line have tried to use its ships boats to pull it around so that its broadside faced the galleys?

I really like both of your oared vessels Rory. But you already know that. I am looking forward to pics of the frigate when you get done.

Ducky, You must have missed the excellent rigging tutorial series Rory posted here a year or so ago. Unfortunately it was lost when the site was hacked, along with numerous other great photos and links. There should be some way to put it back on the site without breaking it down into so many small installments. I'll have to think on it for a bit.

OK. I tried to add Rory's complete tutorial series Parts 1 through 4 plus an addendum where he explains the differences between British and non-British rigging styles for the mizzen. As I said, I TRIED! The dang page kept timing out or jumped to another page before I could get everything uploaded. So I don't know if I uploaded anything successfully, or if I uploaded some of it more than once. I just don't know. Perhaps Kieth can take a look. I am pretty sure I never got the Addendum uploaded in any case. I probably botched the whole thing.
    Last edited by Volunteer; 05-15-2014 at 02:30.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    I really like both of your oared vessels Rory. But you already know that. I am looking forward to pics of the frigate when you get done.

Ducky, You must have missed the excellent rigging tutorial series Rory posted here a year or so ago. Unfortunately it was lost when the site was hacked, along with numerous other great photos and links. There should be some way to put it back on the site without breaking it down into so many small installments. I'll have to think on it for a bit.

OK. I tried to add Rory's complete tutorial series Parts 1 through 4 plus an addendum where he explains the differences between British and non-British rigging styles for the mizzen. As I said, I TRIED! The dang page kept timing out or jumped to another page before I could get everything uploaded. So I don't know if I uploaded anything successfully, or if I uploaded some of it more than once. I just don't know. Perhaps Kieth can take a look. I am pretty sure I never got the Addendum uploaded in any case. I probably botched the whole thing.
    Last I heard Eric and Keith were working on something to restore that rigging series by Rory?

I tried duplicating Rory's work using some of the photos I took while rigging the Queen Anne's Revenge but it's just not good enough by a long short. However, I did find that using Microsoft Powerpoint to add photos and narrative and then saving the entire work as a .pdf file worked very well. Assuming .pdf files can be uploaded to our site this should be an option.

Perhaps that's what Eric and Keith are doing?

I checked tonight to see if any of the Rory's Tutorial files I tried to upload showed up in the FILES section of the Anchorage. NADA! Either Kieth hasn't seen it yet, or the system (or I) botched it. I'm not sure if I should try again or wait? I have the entire tutorial and I would like to see it published somewhere so folks can make use of it. I know Rory would too. He put so much time and effort into it for all of us.

Add me to the list of people who would like to get there hands on it.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I checked tonight to see if any of the Rory's Tutorial files I tried to upload showed up in the FILES section of the Anchorage. NADA! Either Kieth hasn't seen it yet, or the system (or I) botched it. I'm not sure if I should try again or wait? I have the entire tutorial and I would like to see it published somewhere so folks can make use of it. I know Rory would too. He put so much time and effort into it for all of us.
    I haven't seen Keith online for several days and I expect it's end of semester crunch time for Eric? I think our files section has been wonky ever since the hack. I know all photos have to be uploaded using the basic uploader, which is a bit of a hassle.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I sent the files onto Keith, previously. I know he has been wrapping up several projects on the 'Drome and working with a few folks on Origin's preparation. I am confident he will be onto How To articles and such in the near future. I will send him a PM about Rory's article in a few moments.

Vol, I check uploaded files daily for approval, and yours is there. The file is substantially large, and that causes some problems with downloading. I have noticed from doing these that the larger files, the higher the probability of downloading getting hung up, if that makes sense. I am not sure what the magic number is, but I don't have problems with files under 1MB.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Wouldn't the captain of a becalmed Ship of the Line have tried to use its ships boats to pull it around so that its broadside faced the galleys?
    Wouldn't the galleys shoot the boats? :)

For an "other way around" example, see the Russian brig _Merkurii_'s engagement with *two* Turkish SoLs....

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    I sent the files onto Keith, previously. I know he has been wrapping up several projects on the 'Drome and working with a few folks on Origin's preparation. I am confident he will be onto How To articles and such in the near future. I will send him a PM about Rory's article in a few moments.

Vol, I check uploaded files daily for approval, and yours is there. The file is substantially large, and that causes some problems with downloading. I have noticed from doing these that the larger files, the higher the probability of downloading getting hung up, if that makes sense. I am not sure what the magic number is, but I don't have problems with files under 1MB.
    Eric, there should be a part 1, 2, 3, and 4. Four files altogether. And yes they are big. If you remember, Rory took a lot of pictures to illustrate each step he took. That is what makes his guide so good. I posted Part I on my blog last night so folks can go there if they want to see it. I plan to post the whole thing as I get time. It should reside somewhere on the web for folks to see. And I did try here first.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Nice work, Rory. Are those oars made from matches?
    Hi David,
    No! the oars come with the model. They are two, one piece blocks. I painted the block brown. Vol, thought it should be blue as the sea base. I tried this it did not look right to me. But would not say it's wrong. We must try the way we think is best. I then dry brushed over the oars with light brown. This gave them a yellow look. I added the red colour to the blades for fun. I was thinking of using different colours on the blades for different ships. Looking at the photo's now I can see they look like a book of matches, Sorry! The galley and the Shedek oars are a lot smaller in life.

I wish to say a big thank you all for your support about the guide to ship painting and rigging that I made and Vol cleaned up and posted on his blog for me. I hope it will help ship-builders to make or up-grade their Fleets. I must say a very big shout-out to Vol for his help and his friendship I'm a very lucky man.
    Be safe
    Rory

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Hi All,
    This is the wrong period (Roman) and the wrong scale (1-300) but this is a Galley, big time. I did this for a friend. the frist and last one I have done or will do

Name:  Finished Quinquereme 008.jpg
Views: 989
Size:  139.0 KB

Name:  Finished Quinquereme 009.jpg
Views: 1230
Size:  140.0 KB

Name:  Finished Quinquereme 010.jpg
Views: 1508
Size:  148.9 KB

Its a Langton 1-300 scale model the last photo has a 1-1200 3rd rate to show size
    Be safe
    Rory

2nd Lieutenant
    Serbia

Log Entries
    Name
    Heмaњa

Nice model!

Eric, there should be a part 1, 2, 3, and 4. Four files altogether. And yes they are big. If you remember, Rory took a lot of pictures to illustrate each step he took. That is what makes his guide so good. I posted Part I on my blog last night so folks can go there if they want to see it. I plan to post the whole thing as I get time. It should reside somewhere on the web for folks to see. And I did try here first.
    Just posted Part 2 of Rory's Guide on my blog. http://volsminiatures.blogspot.com/2...ide-to_18.html

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

As always, beautiful work, Rory.

Just posted the first half of Rory's guide Part 3 on my blog site if anyone is interested.