Thread: USS Olympia Photos and Battle of Manila Bay

Default USS Olympia Photos and Battle of Manila Bay

Ok this is not Napoleonic so I posted here. Although Olympia still had sails!!

Here are some shots of USS Olympia:

Forward turret
    Name:  Olympia forward turret.jpg
Views: 2170
Size:  143.2 KB

Bridge. Just to the right of the shot you can see a light colored patch on the deck. That is where Adm Dewey stood and delivered is famous "You may fire when ready, Gridley" line. There is a brass footprint but is it off for maintenance.
    Name:  Olympia bridge.jpg
Views: 1804
Size:  132.2 KB

Name:  Olympia wheel.jpg
Views: 948
Size:  114.0 KB

Name:  Olympia bell.jpg
Views: 869
Size:  117.0 KB

Deck gun drill (1 lb gun)
    Name:  Olympia gun drill.jpg
Views: 1489
Size:  136.3 KB

6 pound gun. Notice the stock and pistol grip!

Name:  Olympia secondary armament.jpg
Views: 823
Size:  113.2 KB

Admiral Dewey (notice visiting active US Naval officer in his dress whites).

Name:  Admiral Dewey.jpg
Views: 1020
Size:  153.3 KB

Some photos of our Battle of Manila Bay game. The ships are 1/600 scale Old Glory kits.

Name:  Manila Bay Spanish fleet.jpg
Views: 1038
Size:  126.2 KB

Name:  Manila Bay fleets coming together.jpg
Views: 1114
Size:  127.0 KB

Spanish flagship on fire
    Name:  Manila Bay Spanish flagship on fire.jpg
Views: 937
Size:  110.8 KB
    Admiral Dewey makes sure history is repeated!

Name:  Manila Bay Adm Dewey examines the scene.jpg
Views: 796
Size:  130.4 KB

Eric

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Thanks for the pictures, Eric. They're great! Is that an LED light for the Spanish flagship fire? Looks like it might be one, similar to what Gunner suggested?

Midshipman
    Netherlands

Log Entries
    Name
    Thijs

Yes lookes like one! You have those flickering led lights in fake candles, specially those give a great effect!

Nice pictures, Eric.

I have to ckeck the internet for this battle, but I guess it was important for the US control of the Phillipines.

...and you reenacted the battle in 1/600 on board of the ship.

Great!

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Very nice pictures, Eric. Thank you for sharing.

Where is she currently docked?

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Thanks for the pictures, Eric. They're great! Is that an LED light for the Spanish flagship fire? Looks like it might be one, similar to what Gunner suggested?
    Yes it is. They are little round LED pins:

http://www.flashingblinkylights.com/...ound-leds.html

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Very nice pictures, Eric. Thank you for sharing.

Where is she currently docked?
    Penn's Landing in Philadelphia. She is part of the Independence Seaport Museum along with the WWII submarine USS Becuna. You can see the battleship USS New Jersey across the Delaware River. Just in front of her is a steel windjammer, Moshulu which has been turned into a restaurant.

Great photos!

2nd Lieutenant
    Serbia

Log Entries
    Name
    Heмaњa

Like playing war game at Austerlitz

Nice pics!

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

We did North Cape on board HMS Belfast (one of the participants) on the 60th anniversary - with some veterans attending. Quite an experience!

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    We did North Cape on board HMS Belfast (one of the participants) on the 60th anniversary - with some veterans attending. Quite an experience!
    We sailed past HMS Belfast on the way to Greenwich this past summer. Unfortunately we didn't have time to visit her. Always a great experience to hear stories from the veterans.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Max

The thing that impressed me the most about the Olympia was all the ornate wooden furniture on board. I have never seen that on any ship I've been on.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Nice pictures, Eric.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Blackjohn

This is what that plaque looked like on the weekend before the closed her off to the public.

And I'm glad to see she has reopened. I was afraid she'd become a hulk resting on the muddy bottom of the river. My fingers are crossed that she'll get the love she deserves.

Rumor has that she's going to be moved to Mare Island in California and placed permanenetly in a dry dock. I believe I saw that in U.S. Naval Instutue Proceedings or in Sea Power Magazine. But can't recall the exact source.

Quote Originally Posted by HMS Lydia View Post
    Rumor has that she's going to be moved to Mare Island in California and placed permanenetly in a dry dock. I believe I saw that in U.S. Naval Instutue Proceedings or in Sea Power Magazine. But can't recall the exact source.
    I think that deal fell through. In May we were told that she is now to stay in Philadelphia as part of the Independence Seaport Museum.

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    I think that deal fell through. In May we were told that she is now to stay in Philadelphia as part of the Independence Seaport Museum.
    That's great, Philadelphia is a good place for this historic naval vessel. I have toured her several times. The last time I was aboard, an extremely friendly docent game me a personal tour. Very enjoyable.

I went over to USS New Jersey once, and will never go back. This is the only Battleship Monument I've been to that they have different prices for different parts of the ship. And you better not be off the colored line of the tour your on. USS Alabama, USS Texas, USS Massachusetts, USS North Carolina all have a single price for the entire ship, and allow you to go to all open spaces. Some of these have colored tour routes but that is simply so you can follow the tour pamphlet without getting confused about what your looking at.

I have not been to USS Wisconsin since she was turned over to the city of Norfolk, so can't comment. But when she was still reserve fleet but on display at Nauticus, all you could really do was walk around the decks. I have not been on board Missouri or Iowa since they have become museums.