Thread: A PLEA TO ARES

Default A PLEA TO ARES

Not knowing much about about the manufacturing process of SGN ships, I wonder if it would be possible for Ares to come out with (ship kits)?

The ships without sails, and the sails sold separately. At anchor, battle sails, full sails, studded sails.

I would GLADLY pay a premium for such kits.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

An interesting idea. I would think manufacturing would be a bit easier, as would packaging. Storage would definitely be.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

You know that you're only going to get one crack at installing, right? I discussed the idea of removable masts with Andrea once, he said he'd thought about it too but they were coming out too fragile.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    You know that you're only going to get one crack at installing, right? I discussed the idea of removable masts with Andrea once, he said he'd thought about it too but they were coming out too fragile.
    Then I would buy another. I would like separate packs of masts and sails.

I hope Andrea gives it more thought.
    Maybe in a future Wave Ares could include one model of the separate Ship, masts and sails as a test to see how it sells.
    Last edited by Gunner; 04-13-2014 at 22:43.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Right--but we've seen how the pleas for unpainted, unassembled plane packs have fallen on deaf ears since the extent of management's vision is "Ready To Play, Prepainted and Preassembled."

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I suspect the likelihood of this happening is about as much as that of their aircraft models being released as kits (which has been asked for several times in the past and always rebuffed)

These would in effect be ready to play after a simple assembly.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Sorry, not going to happen. Besides going against their "ready to play" philosophy, it would burden the entire logistical system and retail stores.

If the ships came without sails and they offered three different sail settings, as a store, I'd have to stock 4 separate products just to sell a single ship. And then I'd end up with two products that would never sell (meaning the ratios would always be off). As cool as it sounds from player's stand point... as a retailer I'll pass thanks.

I think Ares is doing the best they can by releasing different Waves with different sail settings. At some point down the road, the hobbyist could clip and swap masts from different ships to get more of a variety.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    I just didn't want to be seen as the, "Thread Pirate Roberts" and get too far off topic.

Oh well, another dream dashed.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

At least it was dashed with beer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    I just didn't want to be seen as the, "Thread Pirate Roberts" and get too far off topic.

The beer is to ease the pain

I'd love this as well! I'm currently stripping a few ships down to raw plastic, it's a pain in the rear end, and if I could get them that way from the start, I'd pay a premium for it!

If Shapeways or anyone would make seperate masts and sails in 1/1000 scale, I would gladly cut and toss SOG's.

2nd Lieutenant
    Serbia

Log Entries
    Name
    Heмaњa

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Right--but we've seen how the pleas for unpainted, unassembled plane packs have fallen on deaf ears since the extent of management's vision is "Ready To Play, Prepainted and Preassembled."
    Unfortunately, you are right. Although I never understood why Ares decided not to sell "blank" planes and ships together with prepared ones.

Gunner,

if you contact some of Shapeways designers, I believe you will get your separated masts and sails.