Thread: Books Again

Ordinary Seaman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Craig

Default Books Again

Okay: I'm about to finish reading through Kent's Bolitho books. So: what next?

I've already read all of Patrick O'Brian (Aubrey/Maturin, The Golden Ocean, his biography of Banks...), C.S. Forester (Hornblower, The African Queen, The Ship, Death to the French!, etc.) and Walter John Williams' Privateers and Gentlemen stuff. I bounced off Marryat, although I may give that another try.

Further afield but vaguely related, I've already read Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe books, Melville's Moby Dick and Jack London's The Sea Wolf (although that was so long ago that it's probably due a re-read).

I rapidly lost patience with Naomi Novik's Temeraire series. Not due to the dragons (for those unfamiliar: the Temeraire books are a mash-up of the Napoleonic Wars with the Battle of Britain, achieved by shifting the traditional Royal Navy tropes onto a dragon-mounted 18th century RAF...), but because of the questionable characterisations and increasingly predictable plot.

So: what next? Anyone know of a really good biography of Captain Cook?

--
    Craig

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Craig,
    For a fun and fast good read try Dudley Pope's "Ramage" Books
    Be safe
    Rory

Highly recommend Dewey Lambdin's 20 volume (to date) series on "ramcat" Alan Lewrie RN. Very entertaining!

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    john

JACKY FABER!

JACKY FABER!

JACKY FABER!

Bloody Jack!

By L.A. Meyer.

A cross between Treasure Island ,Robinson Crusoe, and Perils of Paulene.

Plus there are 10 more!

Order before midnight tonite and receive cameo's by Aubry, Ismail, Welesly, Aunt Jemima, Napoleon, Lafite, Goya and more!!!

So don't forget Jacky Faber aka Bloody Jack by L.A. Meyer.

Of course If your interested in pure history "Empire Of the Blue Water" a history of Morgan.

Or for another fictional choice "Captain Blood", and "The Sea Hawk" by Rafael Sabatini.