Thread: Prices on Kickstarter Exclusive Ships?

Ordinary Seaman
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Name
    Pete

Default Prices on Kickstarter Exclusive Ships?

Ahoy!

Sorry for being a beginner on this Anchor site but I wonder if anyone could let me know what a fair price for the Kickstarter ships; LA Concorde, Fougueux, HMS Juno and HMS Bellerophon respectively. They appear on eBay occasionally and I really would like to know what a higher bid would be.

Thanks!

I'm not sure that there is a FAIR price for kickstarter ships. But I would guess double the price of a standard model would be as good a deal as you could get.
    There is a frigate on Amazon.com HMS Juno for $35.00 +$3.00 shipping
    Last edited by Gunner; 03-22-2014 at 19:34.

Oh! And welcome from Arizona, Pete.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Michael

The Fougueux and HMS Bellerophon are some of the best models released so far by Ares and very useful in their own right (for the 2 models per card side they represent) plus several important possible variants. They can also be quite expensive. I have found and purchased 2 of each on eBay which I have won. If you care to check out eBay you will find, gulp, just how much! Be sure to check eBay US, UK and Australia. Prices vary along with postage costs. The frigates seem to be much more available. I'd say go ahead and take the plunge. The models are worth paying up for and who knows if they will ever be reprinted for non Kickstarter (KS) clients. I imagine HMS Victory and USS Constitution will command an even greater premium when they get in the hands of original KS subscribers who decide to list their models. Not too dissimilar from the experience of buying out of-print Wings of War aircraft. The original KS buyers are the usual source rather than the typical hobby store or dealer. I kick myself frequently for not signing up for KS!

To answer you directly, as high as $79.99 for "Billy Ruffian" and $74.99 for Fougueux in the US, less in Australia.

Ordinary Seaman
    Japan

Log Entries
    Name
    Jeffrey

Well, they aren't really that unique, so 10% higher than the online discounted prices for the other ships. Plus, with Wave 2 coming soon, there are going to be more than enough retail ships available.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

How concerned are you about having a complete set, or those ships in particular? As to what to spend, it depends on how badly you want them. I have seen them for around $50 on some online retailers' sites. I imagine as KS supporters sell some, their prices will only increase due to a diminishing supply, i.e. folks who originally bought multiples to sell will have sold them. Fortunately, the Constitution and Victory are not KS exclusives.
    Last edited by 7eat51; 03-22-2014 at 22:43.

Well Pete, it looks like you have been officially welcomed to the Anchorage. One question. Three totally different answers.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Michael

I've seen the KS ships go for anywhere between $29 and $80 each, and generally speaking, the prices have risen over the past two months. I have no idea if the prices will continue going up, level off, or go back down. It really depends on the future success of Sails of Glory as a whole. If the game continues to sell well, and the pool of active players continues to increase, then you can expect the prices to keep rising.

As this particular moment in the US, if you see KS Ships of the Line for under $50 a piece, I'd say buy it right away. Maybe $40 for the frigates? Anything more than that, and it's really a matter of just how badly you want them.

But I would ask - how much do you really need them? For that kind of money, you can buy all 12 Wave 2 ships for less than the four KS Exclusive ships, and Wave 2 will give you a whole lot more variety to choose from.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    How concerned are you about having a complete set, or those ships in particular? As to what to spend, it depends on how badly you want them. I have seen them for around $50 on some online retailers' sites. I imagine as KS supporters sell some, their prices will only increase due to a diminishing supply, i.e. folks who originally bought multiples to sell will have sold them. Fortunately, the Constitution and Victory are not KS exclusives.
    Not KS exclusive? Well that is very good news indeed. Any idea how will they be sold and when?

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLaborMike View Post
    I've seen the KS ships go for anywhere between $29 and $80 each, and generally speaking, the prices have risen over the past two months. I have no idea if the prices will continue going up, level off, or go back down. It really depends on the future success of Sails of Glory as a whole. If the game continues to sell well, and the pool of active players continues to increase, then you can expect the prices to keep rising.

As this particular moment in the US, if you see KS Ships of the Line for under $50 a piece, I'd say buy it right away. Maybe $40 for the frigates? Anything more than that, and it's really a matter of just how badly you want them.

But I would ask - how much do you really need them? For that kind of money, you can buy all 12 Wave 2 ships for less than the four KS Exclusive ships, and Wave 2 will give you a whole lot more variety to choose from.
    Very good answer Green Labor Mike! You are right, its not that you need them to play the game and other ships can substitute. You can also certainly make new cards reasonably easily or download from the Files section here. The models are not unique, but the paint jobs are, i think, good for Nelson's battles including Trafalgar. This, and the urge to complete the set, plus the feeling of being left out of KS campaign through my own fault, drove me to search for and buy 2 of each of the 74's. Its a disease for some collectors, and I'm afraid I have it! But listen to the good advise of the other wise gamers on this blog before you help push up the price!

Quote Originally Posted by mdavis41 View Post
    Not KS exclusive? Well that is very good news indeed. Any idea how will they be sold and when?
    They will be sold separately, but Ares didn't set a release date yet.

Ordinary Seaman
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Name
    Pete

Thanks Fellas!

I am not really sure if your answers helped me out that much, but I got a view on the possibilities and perhaps what to aim for. If I want them badly? A tricky question, nothing is really badly in this world when it comes to model ships. However, being a Naval Board Game Fan and a serious collector of many things, i.e. 19th century sabres and cutlasses, the search and the hunt is just as important as the owing. The four KS-ships are for sure on my target list, and the hunt has begun! What the price will be? Well, thats the next question.