Thread: Alexander Kent's books - need a recommendation

Midshipman
    Poland

Log Entries
    Name
    Andrzej

Default Alexander Kent's books - need a recommendation

Ahoy Mates!

I have just found a great variety of Alexander Kent's books on SGN "matters" in one of our online stores. The titles are many, so my questions are: did you read any of them? Are they worth reading? Could you recommend any of them?

Thanks in advance,

Andy.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Hi Andrzej,

I have one on the shelf in the "to read" stack, but I look for them whenever I am at a used bookstore.

This link will give you a chronological reading of the main character, assuming you are looking at the Bolitho series: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bolitho_novels

Here is another worthwhile site: http://www.historicnavalfiction.com/...alexander-kent

Midshipman
    Poland

Log Entries
    Name
    Andrzej

Thanks a lot for the list, Eric:) Since there are so many books it's been quite tough to decide where to start! I'll choose one (probably Enemy in Sight) full of action to get more familiar with new naval war vocabulary

Ordinary Seaman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Craig

I've read most of them, and they're fun, but they're definitely second-tier. Don't bother unless you've already run out of Aubrey/Maturin and Hornblower (Walter Jon Williams' Gentlemen and Privateers stuff is worth a look too).

--
    Craig

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Read the lot of them twice, if not more times. In fact they were the first series of naval fiction books I read (dad brought a few editions form the library when we went on holiday one year, I read them too and I was hooked). Yes, Hornblower and Aubrey are "better", but they are certainly well worth a read. IIRC there were a set of scenarios for WSIM based on the Bolitho books published in "The General" back in the day which would be good inspiration for SGN frigate actions

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

I've found Kent's Bolitho series fairly entertaining reading. They tend to "move" along at a pretty good pace, and don't get bogged down in the life ashore like the Aubrey series does. Not as good as Hornblower or Aubrey, but you won't feel like you wasted your time reading them!

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    IIRC there were a set of scenarios for WSIM based on the Bolitho books published in "The General" back in the day which would be good inspiration for SGN frigate actions
    Yes indeed

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

If you're going to read them start with Midshipman Bolitho, you can get the first two books as a double. Can't remember the title as I got rid of the complete set about 3 years ago. If I remember correctly there are over 15+ books in the set.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bolithio

Im a big fan, obviously... Even if I cant spell

Able Seaman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Susan

I read about a third of them (the middle third, centred around A Tradition of Victory) when I was a teenager, having found them for $0.50 in paperback at a used book store in Florida. I read them after the original Hornblower trilogy, but before tracking down the rest of the Hornblower books, and long before discovering O'Brien. They stood up reasonably well when I was a teenager, but many things I liked then haven't aged well, and I haven't reread them since.

I just snagged them as far as Trafalgar for my Kindle, but I have a big "to read" pile ahead of them... including the last eight O'Brians.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I read Kent's books years ago, and found them quite entertaining.
    Has anyone read the Ramage books and are they worth getting?
    Bligh.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Yes, definitely. A bit more derring do than Bolitho, loads of fun and excellent source material for scenarios.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Cheers Dave.
    Rob.